BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Holtby

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Strange one this.

Dack, Rothwell and Armstrong are all players who would play in Holtby’s spot.

Mowbray does like his midfielders. Probably play him at right back!

Very hard to keep them all happy, let's hope we lose the "right" ones not the "wrong" ones! Keep Smallwood and lose Travis keeps me awake!

Holtby would be very good signing and would increase the squad quality. Football is a squad game and there is plenty of games and we need strength in depth. We will pick up suspensions and injuries during the season. 

We will play different formations during the season and I believe this right for me

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead

Whilst we probably don’t need another central midfielder as a priority, I’d be really happy with this signing. 

The only way you improve as a squad is by buying players better than the ones you already have. 

This guy’s pedigree alone suggests that’s the case. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

To progress on the pitch you need to keep bringing in superior players and jettison the ones no longer up to it. Simple really.

So I like the sound of this move a lot.

That would be fair comment if we were bringing in a right back, centre back, left back and goalkeeper.

Which if our midfielders is being jettisoned?

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Sorry to ask the obvious question - but why do we appear to be the only team in the running if he's as good as everyone is saying? Is there some kind of risk factor involved? I know next to nothing about him.

We have to be in first for a player now and again, surely? We were the only team linked with Bauer until Mowbray told him he’d have to fight for his place against a player we subsequently sent to warm the bench at Wigan.

Just now, Stuart said:

That would be fair comment if we were bringing in a right back, centre back, left back and goalkeeper.

Which if our midfielders is being jettisoned?

Keeper? To replace Walton

Centre back. Yes but get one in January. 

Left back?.why? 

Right back? Why? 

Getting rid Smallwood and Evans out would be a start

Just now, Stuart said:

We have to be in first for a player now and again, surely? We were the only team linked with Bauer until Mowbray told him he’d have to fight for his place against a player we subsequently sent to warm the bench at Wigan.

Wasnt the player Williams or Lenihan. Who have keep 4 CLEAR SHEETS in last 5 games! 

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

Bauer was a L1 player though. Holtby clearly has significantly more pedigree so I'm just curious if there are injury or attitude problems putting other teams off. If not then okay, great. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Wasnt the player Williams or Lenihan. Who have keep 4 CLEAR SHEETS in last 5 games! 

No, Chaddy. No it wasn’t.

But ain’t hindsight and happy accidents wonderful? Let’s hope that form continues.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Keeper? To replace Walton

Centre back. Yes but get one in January. 

Left back?.why? 

Right back? Why? 

Getting rid Smallwood and Evans out would be a start

1) Loan

2) Yes, hopefully

3) Loan

4) Bennett is first choice and you ask why?

• Like 1

Ideally Evans and Smallwood to go. Alas they won’t be going any time soon due to nice contracts (though a possibility for RS in January).

So the usual way of successful teams, getting shut of deadwood and bringing in improved players isn’t really happening here , but that goes back to the folly of handing out contracts to third rate/past it players last season.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Could you imagine, Holtby, Dack, Rothwell & Chapman going forwards.. Let Johnson or Travis do the dirty work.. Christ! 

No, Chapman isn't good enough when he plays for the 23's, let alone our team. Shocking last night, absolute shite.

If this one happens I think it would complete a set up. Buckley played vs Millwall obviously to try and provide more ball play than Travis, but if Holtby can do so at a much higher level then the jigsaw is finished.

Cunningham, Johnson, Walton, Holtby, Gallagher, Adarabioyo and Downing all in in one season is pretty neat to me.

If we can get rid of Smallwood, Evans, Samuel, Hart, maybe even Graham and bring in a couple more in January you'd be not far wrong to call it our most successful year for transfers in over a decade.

28 minutes ago, Stuart said:

No, Chaddy. No it wasn’t.

But ain’t hindsight and happy accidents wonderful? Let’s hope that form continues.

Both proved how good they played last season..

27 minutes ago, Stuart said:

1) Loan

2) Yes, hopefully

3) Loan

4) Bennett is first choice and you ask why?

1. Right. Maybe look to sign him permanently..

2. Agree depending who Mowbray wants

3. Cunningham deal might end up perm in summer

4. More than happy with Bennett at right back/wing back

12 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I am confused as to where he may play. A bit of internet research suggests that he likes to play as a 10. So maybe he’ll slot in on the right of midfield with Downing playing centre mid, maybe it’ll be the other way around. 

Could be in TM's mind that Dack won't be here in January/July and that Holtby is a ready made replacement.