BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Holtby

Just now, JacknOry said:

Definitely an exciting signing if we pull it off. The longer it takes I worry about others trying to hijack. I guess it was agreed back when training with us that we would take him on once his contract expired - gentleman's agreement.  

Might not have quite had the career he probably envisioned when he first burst onto the scene but you dont win Germany caps (albeit only 3) if you do not have something about you. 

Now, in my time supporting Rovers, I can only think of another two German players to represent the club. Any guesses on who they are?

Markus Babbel is one - I'll have to think about the other.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Now, in my time supporting Rovers, I can only think of another two German players to represent the club. Any guesses on who they are?

4ish in my time - Sergio Peter, Pelzer, Babbel, and Jermaine Jones (may have played for the USA, but he was really German). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Not so easy though when they are sitting on the nice contracts Tony gave them.  Catch 22 they won't go early unless something good comes in or they're paid off.  Having them around there's always the feeling he'll start using them again to justify it.

If he can keep adding a bit of quality along the way like Holtby then next summer becomes as much about clearing out as recruiting.

Agreed. Giving Evans in particular a new contract after most of his performances in League 1 was unbelieveable. He's a reserve in a lower half championship squad and so it has proved to be the case since we re-signed him. You get what you pay for.

• Like 3

Just now, JacknOry said:

Babbel and Sergio Peter were the ones i remembered. Dunno how i forgot Jermaine Jones - its these English named Germans a bit like Lewis Holtby.

Was Holtbys parents in the RAF, as he played for Erkelenz, which was near an RAF base in Germany 

Just now, rigger said:

Was Holtbys parents in the RAF, as he played for Erkelenz, which was near an RAF base in Germany 

Yes, his Dad was British RAF, assuming his mother was native German? No longer eligible for England but probably was before he made several German national team appearances.

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Everyone does know the role in the team and how to play it. I disagree on a consistency of a formation as we have been adaptable and change formation in the game needs it

Yes Walton was right to waive them away and not take a risk in conceded a goal like Arsenal did against Watford. 

Nyambe can play centre back and as part of back 3. I thought the back 3 worked very well in a defensive sense. 

Give it a chance instead of judging after 1 game. That's one of biggest problem is you are very quick to criticise and unwilling to give it proper chance like a run of games. 

Ultimately if you want to play it out from the back in a back 3, you have to take chances at times. Walton on numerous occasions chose under little pressure to kick the ball long. Lenihan from the kick off again played it long.

You say give it a chance but my main point is that we need to be more consistent with our formations. The irony is that it is Mowbray that is not giving the formation a chance by repeatedly changing it. He gave it 45 minutes, altered the formation, then another 15 minutes and abandonded the formation totally.

I have my reservations about a back 3 with our personnel and have explained why. But my main issue is not with playing a certain formation, it is with repeated changing of formations leading to a lack of understanding and an inability for players to understand their roles and get used to playing in them within the system in question because it is forever changing.

Playing 3 at the back is perhaps a more complicated system than most. Sheffield United are a good example because they play it week in week out and they all know exactly what their roles are. It has different demands on players, especially the outside centre backs and the wing backs. It would also require a bit of time figuring out the best way to use the attackers in front as Saturdays effort didnt work in that sense.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Anyone got any sources of this progressing at all? 

His representatives were at the game on Saturday and Holtby himself posted a picture of him catching a flight yesterday. Even Rich Sharpe of the LT says he's 'increasingly confident' the deal will get done and he's usually very cautious with rumours.

All the signs seem to point towards him signing for us but it's never done until it's announced on the club website. 

• Like 1

A few saying it's already done. It's his birthday tomorrow, so I'm expecting some sort of "We would like to wish Blackburn Midfielder Lewis Holtby a happy birthday" type announcement tomorrow maybe?

1 hour ago, toogs said:

Agreed. Giving Evans in particular a new contract after most of his performances in League 1 was unbelieveable. He's a reserve in a lower half championship squad and so it has proved to be the case since we re-signed him. You get what you pay for.

There does finally seem to be a genuine midfield overhaul going on which i for one am over the moon about it should have happened under GB but he was responsible for Evans and Lowe was his poodle so it was a non starter.  Should have happened soon as he'd gone though imo its been a key factor in holding the team back accommodating certain players for too long.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rovers11 said:

His representatives were at the game on Saturday and Holtby himself posted a picture of him catching a flight yesterday. Even Rich Sharpe of the LT says he's 'increasingly confident' the deal will get done and he's usually very cautious with rumours.

All the signs seem to point towards him signing for us but it's never done until it's announced on the club website. 

still waiting to work out what the catch is!!  

he's got a decent pedigree, played for the German national side and as recently as last year for a decent Bundesliga club. He has played in the Premier league in top 6 club [and Fulham].  He's a free agent, and other than us letting him use our training facility has no previous connection or allegiance here, its not even as though he's getting past it [like could have been considered in the case of Downing].  Cant see why we might potentially be on the brink of a seemingly uncontested free signing of someone decent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Definitely an exciting signing if we pull it off. The longer it takes I worry about others trying to hijack. I guess it was agreed back when training with us that we would take him on once his contract expired - gentleman's agreement.  

Might not have quite had the career he probably envisioned when he first burst onto the scene but you dont win Germany caps (albeit only 3) if you do not have something about you. 

Marcus Babel? 

8 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Cunningham, Johnson, Walton, Holtby, Gallagher, Adarabioyo and Downing all in in one season is pretty neat to me.

4 of those 7 are most likely only here FOR one season. Leaving a lot of work to be done next season even before natural attrition of players and reinforcing where we are weak.

5 hours ago, rigger said:

I am expecting top six at least.

I'd expect us to be more of a top ten squad this season with an average chance of making an outside stab at top 8-6 if Holtby comes in.

Another couple of quality signings IN THE RIGHT AREAS USED CORRECTLY and i'd expect a good go at top 6. We are a season away from that though at the min i reckon.

Edited by tomphil

Just now, tomphil said:

I'd expect us to be more of a top ten squad this season with an average chance of making an outside stab at top 8-6 if Holtby comes in.

Another couple of quality signings IN THE RIGHT AREAS USED CORRECTLY and i'd expect a good go at top 6. We are a season away from that though at the min i reckon.

We are Blackburn Rovers and as such, I expect top six.

• Like 3

Blackburn Rovers 1st Team Player Liaison is now following Lewis Holtby on Instagram, and he's posted about his road trip from Holland to "..." on his social media too. I'd say this is 99% confirmed now. Most likely signs tomorrow morning and confirmed in the afternoon.

10 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Blackburn Rovers 1st Team Player Liaison is now following Lewis Holtby on Instagram, and he's posted about his road trip from Holland to "..." on his social media too. I'd say this is 99% confirmed now. Most likely signs tomorrow morning and confirmed in the afternoon.

Best signing profile wise we’ve made since our drop from the PL. if he’s as value for money as Danny G and Dacky then this will be a season! Can’t wait to see him in a rovers shirt! Ticket seller! 

Not been as excited about a signing since Venkys took over. If it comes off both TM and the Vs deserve a bit of credit here.

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 2