BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Holtby

Can’t see Holtby being any better than any of our other midfield players so a waste of time signing him really.  I asked round before the St Pauli v HSV game in the pub last night and no-one had anything positive to say about him, ptobably because he played for HSV.  I remember him being crap in the Derby game which I was at last season though.

hamburg isn’t Braun Weiss.

57 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Best signing profile wise we’ve made since our drop from the PL. if he’s as value for money as Danny G and Dacky then this will be a season! Can’t wait to see him in a rovers shirt! Ticket seller! 

Not been as excited about a signing since Venkys took over. If it comes off both TM and the Vs deserve a bit of credit here.

Indeed, his passing ability is excellent; been a long time since we had a real playmaker. 

36 minutes ago, McClarky said:

Can’t see Holtby being any better than any of our other midfield players so a waste of time signing him really.  I asked round before the St Pauli v HSV game in the pub last night and no-one had anything positive to say about him, ptobably because he played for HSV.  I remember him being crap in the Derby game which I was at last season though.

hamburg isn’t Braun Weiss.

Holtby isn't Conrad Veidt...

HOltby would be a good signing for us, good passer of the ball and should easily excel at this level.  If we are to play more with the ball on the deck then we need one, one the defence can be confident in playing the ball too, and one who can find the space for them to do so.  There's little point having good quality IE downing up top if we cannot give them the ball in a manner that they prefer and suits their game.  We're too long ball presently and having a ball player of Holtby's quality in the middle would really allow us to embrace a more possesion orientated approach.

Good move TM, now seal the deal!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

Best signing profile wise we’ve made since our drop from the PL. if he’s as value for money as Danny G and Dacky then this will be a season!

I'm 100% confident that whatever happens, when this season is over, it will have been a season.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Ultimately if you want to play it out from the back in a back 3, you have to take chances at times. Walton on numerous occasions chose under little pressure to kick the ball long. Lenihan from the kick off again played it long.

You say give it a chance but my main point is that we need to be more consistent with our formations. The irony is that it is Mowbray that is not giving the formation a chance by repeatedly changing it. He gave it 45 minutes, altered the formation, then another 15 minutes and abandonded the formation totally.

I have my reservations about a back 3 with our personnel and have explained why. But my main issue is not with playing a certain formation, it is with repeated changing of formations leading to a lack of understanding and an inability for players to understand their roles and get used to playing in them within the system in question because it is forever changing.

Playing 3 at the back is perhaps a more complicated system than most. Sheffield United are a good example because they play it week in week out and they all know exactly what their roles are. It has different demands on players, especially the outside centre backs and the wing backs. It would also require a bit of time figuring out the best way to use the attackers in front as Saturdays effort didnt work in that sense.

Yes but don't take stupid risks and Walton was spot on by doing what he did. 

You never give it time allow it to develop. You change things that need changing during the game. Taking Buckley off for Gallagher was right. We need another forward on. 

Players have a lack of understanding and inability for players to understand their roles? Well the players look to me that they know their roles and how to play the formation. 

Sheffield United took time to learn the system and how to play it. Didn't they lose their 1st 4 games of using the system? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yes but don't take stupid risks and Walton was spot on by doing what he did. 

You never give it time allow it to develop. You change things that need changing during the game. Taking Buckley off for Gallagher was right. We need another forward on. 

Players have a lack of understanding and inability for players to understand their roles? Well the players look to me that they know their roles and how to play the formation. 

Sheffield United took time to learn the system and how to play it. Didn't they lose their 1st 4 games of using the system? 

Im saying we cant do it half arsed, every now and again. Mowbray gave it 60 minutes and changed it. Its a formation that requires consistency and regularity. I wouldnt use that formation but if we do it should be every week.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im saying we cant do it half arsed, every now and again. Mowbray gave it 60 minutes and changed it. Its a formation that requires consistency and regularity. I wouldnt use that formation but if we do it should be every week.

We play the formation that suits us against the opposition and which one will causes the more problems

• Backroom
Just now, Ossydave said:

Surprising amounts of optimism for here over a player people have probably barely seen play, still I can't knock it, makes a refreshing change!

Probably because he's a 'sexy foreigner', even though he's got a very English name.

11 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

You might be right! Odd to get a ferry when you could get a flight?

Scared of flying ???... Wouldn't be the first footballer to sail or drive across the continent