Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Holtby

Just now, Mike E said:

Walton

Lenihan Tosin Williams

Bennett Travis Johnson Cunningham

Holtby        Dack

Gallagher

Dack and Holtby the other way round and we could be on to a winner.

54 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Trouble with a lot of three at the back systems is that they look good on paper without being as impressive on Saturdays, but I have to say I really like that. 

Rothwell, Graham and Armstrong to come in should we make changes to how we play. A side that can cause anyone in this league problems.

As we've seen before the 3 at the back soon turns into 5 at back with Rovers. When you have two holding midfielders who play quite deep it then puts a lot of weight onto the shoulders of Dack and Holtby. It;s also a narrow way of playing, I don't know about Cunningham yet but Bennett isn't known for his crossing ability is he ? We'ii soon see what the plan is but I worry where the goals are going to come from. What I will say is football at this level has become a game like Rugby League were the strength of your bench is vital and your subs can win you the game. We should have a very strong bench at least. Our earlier marquee signing Downing doesn't even feature in that starting line up, neither does Armstrong or Brereton when he's fit. !

Just now, rigger said:

Which ever way you look at it, if players are played in their correct positions we now have a cracking squad.

Yes, a cracking squad but have we got a cracking team ? We'll soon see.

On another tack we need half a dozen off the wage bill ASAP. The guys who aren't likely to figure in the immediate future.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

As we've seen before the 3 at the back soon turns into 5 at back with Rovers. When you have two holding midfielders who play quite deep it then puts a lot of weight onto the shoulders of Dack and Holtby. It;s also a narrow way of playing, I don't know about Cunningham yet but Bennett isn't known for his crossing ability is he ? We'ii soon see what the plan is but I worry where the goals are going to come from. What I will say is football at this level has become a game like Rugby League were the strength of your bench is vital and your subs can win you the game. We should have a very strong bench at least. Our earlier marquee signing Downing doesn't even feature in that starting line up, neither does Armstrong or Brereton when he's fit. !

Certainly hasn't really worked so far, but the more ball players we have the more likely it is to work as planned. Travis and Johnson both play forward and quicker than Evans and Smallwood do, so the issue of the ball dying in midfield goes. Having 2 from Dack/Holtby/Rothwell/Downing in front gives them more than one dangerous creative option, so it's not just a case of stopping Dack = stopping Rovers. Could still fall flat, but I think we're better equipped to play that system than we have been. Lack of goals from Gally could be a problem, to be sure. 

Totally agree with the bench point. We're not there yet, but it's definitely a sign of progress that we have perfectly adequate Championship players who can't make the 18 when everyone's fit. 

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Certainly hasn't really worked so far, but the more ball players we have the more likely it is to work as planned. Travis and Johnson both play forward and quicker than Evans and Smallwood do, so the issue of the ball dying in midfield goes. Having 2 from Dack/Holtby/Rothwell/Downing in front gives them more than one dangerous creative option, so it's not just a case of stopping Dack = stopping Rovers. Could still fall flat, but I think we're better equipped to play that system than we have been. Lack of goals from Gally could be a problem, to be sure. 

Totally agree with the bench point. We're not there yet, but it's definitely a sign of progress that we have perfectly adequate Championship players who can't make the 18 when everyone's fit. 

Gallagher will get goals. He did under Coyle and that was the worst squad since the dreaded takeover. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Improved from totally shyte to being well below average, great. All these improvements and bennett still gets a game?

Bennett was very good against Millwall, and it was his cross, and a good one at that, which led to the 1st goal.

But we are stuck with Bennett haters. A guy behind me in BBE actually cheered when he went down injured and shouted for him to get off. He also boos when his name is mentioned at the start!

Watch these limited highlights. It even looks like a Bennett masterclass. ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyHcCPySlVY

Edited by sabino
  • Like 1

Just now, sabino said:

Bennett was very good against Millwall, and it was his cross, and a good one at that, which led to the 1st goal.

But we are stuck with Bennett haters. A guy behind me in BBE actually cheered when he went down injured and shouted for him to get off. He also boos when his name is mentioned at the start!

Weird bloke

Unfortunately we have a lot of irate fans who moan & moan again.

"Moaning minnies"as Maggie Thatcher said.

Look at the stick Mark Atkins used to get(and he won a Premier League winners medal). Then there was the"great pointer" Keith Andrews. Neither great players but both good goalscorers and VERY versatile,position-wise. So would have fit in well with Tonys tombola.

As said,Lewis Holtby remains to be seen!

Edited by harryhealless1928
spelling correction

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

JRC will be the perfect solution for wingback imo. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

I heard a group of adults not teenagers making donkey noises every time Gallagher touched the ball. First game of the season. Strange.

Absolute mongs the lot of them why doesn't it dawn on some that cheering on players even when they are having a bad day is the best way to get them going ?

Shithousing your own players especially new ones is the work of arseholes.

• Like 5

Any signing that adds a touch of quality to our squad is welcome.

The lad seems to have a bit of pedigree and potential but can the potential be realised or will he turn out to be another Armstrong, Brereton, Gallagher, Chapman etc.

It's also time Mowbray showed a touch of ruthlessness and carried out a 'cull' - it's not as though there are insufficient candidates!

Big questions are can Mowbray establish a stable formation, a pattern of play and settle on his best starting eleven without having umpteen square pegs hammered into round holes.  

Mowbray has been backed heavily in the transfer market.  There can be no excuses from him

Just now, Mercer said:

Any signing that adds a touch of quality to our squad is welcome.

The lad seems to have a bit of pedigree and potential but can the potential be realised or will he turn out to be another Armstrong, Brereton, Gallagher, Chapman etc.

It's also time Mowbray showed a touch of ruthlessness and carried out a 'cull' - it's not as though there are insufficient candidates!

Big questions are can Mowbray establish a stable formation, a pattern of play and settle on his best starting eleven without having umpteen square pegs hammered into round holes.  

Mowbray has been backed heavily in the transfer market.  There can be no excuses from him

I too am very concerned that the bloke who has played for Spurs, Hamburg and Germany could well turn out to be another  Brereton, and it’ll be a disgrace if we don’t transfer out all the deadwood while the transfer window is closed.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

I feel like this is moving us into 343 (or 3421) territory, which sounds exciting but MUST be done correctly.

I'm thinking:

Walton

Lenihan Tosin Williams

Bennett Travis Johnson Cunningham

Holtby        Dack

Gallagher

Solid back 3, Bennett and Cunningham as wing backs rather than full backs (also allows for the pace of Nyambe and Bell later in games).

Travis and Johnson to act as the complete engine room, harassing in midfield.

Gally as the focal point if attack (targetman) with Holtby and Dack roaming behind.

IF that is the plan, I think it can work well BUT will require defensive reinforcement in January imo.

I agreed until you mentioned Bell