BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Holtby

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Hate to toot my own horn, but I made this post nearly a year ago.

It was as clear as day that Holtby would be best in that deep midfield role as soon as he joined, why Mowbray was messing around playing him everywhere but there is a mystery to me.

@Paul Mani reckoned he wasn't a CM ?

In all fairness though, earlier in this thread I said I was convinced that he wouldn't be here this season, I thought it was a strange deal at the start and he would be back in Germany by now.

I do think he will leave after this season though, and that Mowbray has eyes on Buckley taking up this role as a regular next season, hopefully it comes off.

He's doing ok for someone who's 100% not a CM. ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

It was as clear as day that Holtby would be best in that deep midfield role as soon as he joined, why Mowbray was messing around playing him everywhere but there is a mystery to me.

In all fairness though, earlier in this thread I said I was convinced that he wouldn't be here this season, I thought it was a strange deal at the start and he would be back in Germany by now.

I do think he will leave after this season though, and that Mowbray has eyes on Buckley taking up this role as a regular next season, hopefully it comes off.

Bravo sir, absolutely bang on. And you got in there a good 8 months before me.

On 28/09/2020 at 10:25, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought he was a bit peripheral last season. Having said that he was played all over the shop by Mowbray. He never really got to play in the role he's got now.

In true Mowbray fashion, one could see the lad had some class about him.

13 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Kin ell - you waited 12 months to pull that one outa the bag!!? ????

I was wrong, Holtby is a fine CM.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Kin ell - you waited 12 months to pull that one outa the bag!!? ????

I was wrong, Holtby is a fine CM.

Haha, no to be fair you just got caught up in it, I just knew I made a post about Holtby sitting as a deep midfielder when he joined and went to find it ?

• 1 month later...
On 29/09/2020 at 22:22, USABlue said:

In true Mowbray fashion, one could see the lad had some class about him.

Mowbray, who signed him and was instrumental in his making the decision in coming here, according to Holtby himself. 

Do any of the armchair pundits who are wondering why he didn't play centrally last season consider that he wasn't match sharp or fit enough to do so then? He had no pre-season and had ongoing injury issues.

Isn't it great though that now our dilemmas are Trybull or Johnson, Gallagher or Elliott, as opposed to Guthrie or Lowe, or Liam Feeney or Simeon Jackson. Mowbray has built quite the squad. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It's a vast improvement on what he inherited. He can't complain about the backing he's received. You only had to look at the respective teams the other night against PNE. 

He got a few quid, but the main thing was no sales of major assets. He has improved the squad dramatically. Like night and day. Brought a lot of young players through as well. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He got a few quid, but the main thing was no sales of major assets. He has improved the squad dramatically. Like night and day. Brought a lot of young players through as well. 

I was thinking about the youth side of it the other day.

Lenihan, Wharton, Nyambe all started in defence against PNE - all home grown.
We've also got Travis to come back and JRC and Buckley in and around the first team as well.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PerthBlues said:

Preston Fan posted Tuesday night, " That Dolan lad looks good. Goes to show what a great youth system Blackburn have."

I`m assuming ( and hoping) his tongue was frimly in his cheek.

To be fair they were part of several imaginary post-match quotes from the Preston manager that the nobbers were posting - it was gallows humour rather than an epic fail.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Except he will have better offers than that. He would laugh at a pay as you play offer and he would be correct for doing so. Who do we think we are? Lol 

Yes I think you're right. Fans here can't have it both ways; if his contract is not renewed then some will complain about lack of ambition etc but if it is then the moment he gets injured  a la Ayala they will complain about us signing injury prone players. With the recent birth of his child he may well want to return to Germany anyway.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think too injury prone for that - needs to be strongly geared towards pay as you play.

I get your point and you'd suspect that his current deal may have been based on that in some sort of way.

That was then and this is now, other than an absence for paternal leave and something Covid related, he's been pretty much injury free thus far this season. We've all seen what a quality player he is, in a quiet sort of a way, and how he is the key ingredient in making our team really tick.

I hope that we manage to keep Holtby and really look forward  to when, in 2 or 3 years time, on the 70 minute mark, he starts the slow walk towards the Riverside, game won, before taking the even longer walk towards the dug-out.

I think Holtby is in that category, potential legend status: just pull your finger out to keep him Venus/Venkys!

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 1

I would like Holtby to sign on for an extra year or two but I do worry that a potential want to move back to Germany coupled with the owners disinterest making Mowbray struggle to be able to get contracts over the line based on his recent quotes may make this his last season at the club.

I doubt that pay as you play contracts exist, why would anyone in their right mind accept a contract in which a spell out of the team would lead to no income?

Holtby has the credentials and quality to leave another beloved and indelible mark on the history of our club...a few years back some people were unimpressed by the signing of an ageing Turkish midfielder whose name escapes me (not!). That turned into an enduring love affair that still runs deep in the hearts of many a misty-eyed Rovers fan, didn't it? Just saying like, let's be thankful for what we've got and hope it goes even half as well here for Holtby as it did for the legendary Mr Terimoglou..

Edited by WIR Second Coming
Am just a fat northern bastard
  • Like 6