BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Holtby

1 hour ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Holtby has the credentials and quality to leave another beloved and indelible mark on the history of our club...a few years back some people were unimpressed by the signing of an ageing Turkish midfielder whose name escapes me (not!). That turned into an enduring love affair that still runs deep in the hearts of many a misty-eyed Rovers fan, didn't it? Just saying like, let's be thankful for what we've got and hope it goes even half as well here for Holtby as it did for the legendary Mr Terimoglou..

At least you got my drift WIR !

• Like 2

On 26/11/2020 at 18:52, roversfan99 said:

I would like Holtby to sign on for an extra year or two but I do worry that a potential want to move back to Germany coupled with the owners disinterest making Mowbray struggle to be able to get contracts over the line based on his recent quotes may make this his last season at the club.

I doubt that pay as you play contracts exist, why would anyone in their right mind accept a contract in which a spell out of the team would lead to no income?

I may be wrong but I think pay as you play is based on heavily incentivised bonuses on when you play. There is still a basic salary, albeit less than would be considered normal

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 13:15, Oldgregg86 said:

I may be wrong but I think pay as you play is based on heavily incentivised bonuses on when you play. There is still a basic salary, albeit less than would be considered normal

Yep that's how it works.

There was something in Jansen's autobiography when he signed a pay as you play deal with us in 04 that his basic salary was a couple of hundred quid a week, that jumped to something like 10k when he played.

So with inflation I'm guessing a standard pay as you play deal for someone like us now would be 1k a week or something.

• Like 1

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

So with inflation I'm guessing a standard pay as you play deal for someone like us now would be 1k a week or something.

Depends entirely what the individual involved is prepared to accept or what offers he has from elsewhere.

He's not going to accept a £1k a week pay as you pay contract if someone offers him a higher guaranteed wage elsewhere.

• 2 months later...

Full of talent as you’d expect a guy with a few caps for Germany to have. We’ve certainly seen it at times.

But he’s too injury prone and presumably too well enumerated to keep on (and I’m not sure how much he is up for the scrap that is the Championship midfield).

No doubting his quality but there's a touch of Corry Evans about this lad. Raises his game and looks good when the rest of the team is playing well but disappears most of the rest of the time. Then again the team as a whole looks far better when we press and get in the faces.

Seems a bit too frail for the cut and thrust championship sadly.

• Like 1

Definitely our most talented midfielder and we look at our best when he's on the half turn playing sharp forward passes to feet.

Unfortunately, as mentioned previously, his body lets him down too often and I'm not sure that mentally he has the desire which is a big shame.

I'd be surprised if he plays again for us as this injury sounds a bad one.

• Like 1

Contracted til June 2021.

If its a bad one, then I guees its auf weidersehen Herr Holtby.

16 starts 11 sub appearances - 4 assists, 3 goals in 2019/20

16 starts 4 sub appearances - 0 assists, 1 goal (vs. Doncaster in the Carabao Cup) in 2020/21

32 starts 15 sub appearances - 4 assists, 4 goals in total

I wouldn't say he's been a huge disappointment, or a disastrous signing, but like so many before him, I'd hoped for so much more.

With a young child and wife alone in Germany (particularly tough during COVID times) I'd anticipate that his Rovers career is over.

Looking for a Rovers comparison?

(albeit a higher level)

El Hadji Diouf - (obviously ignoring off field issues)

42 starts 2 sub appearances - 6 assists, 3 goals in total

9 minutes ago, yellowsubmarine said:

Dont think we will miss him at all. Doesnt really contribute much tbh. Nice personality. Squad player.

Players basically come in two types. The players that get you on top in a game, and the players that can keep you on top once the other players have done their stuff.  Holtby belongs in the second group. We've too many who belong is the second category and not enough who belong in the first.

• Like 2

• Backroom

Holtby is a talented player but his body just can't handle the regular demands of professional football. It's always difficult to maintain any kind of consistency when you're in and out of fitness. Fact is if he could stay fit he wouldn't be here.

I think we'd be better off letting him go as he isn't available regularly enough to have any kind of lasting impact on our form, but it's a shame. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DE. said:

Holtby is a talented player but his body just can't handle the regular demands of professional football. It's always difficult to maintain any kind of consistency when you're in and out of fitness. Fact is if he could stay fit he wouldn't be here.

I think we'd be better off letting him go as he isn't available regularly enough to have any kind of lasting impact on our form, but it's a shame. 

It’s a shame indeed because he was playing well at the start of the season, when he’s on it he’s one of if not our best central midfield player, like you say though injured far to much to get any sort of consistency going. Think he’ll be off in the summer for sure. 

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

A shame, a good footballer if you ask me. Much rather see him starting than Evans, Trybull, Johnson, Buckley etc. Hopefully it’s because he wants to move back to Germany to be with his family, which you can understand. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

A shame, a good footballer if you ask me. Much rather see him starting than Evans, Trybull, Johnson, Buckley etc. Hopefully it’s because he wants to move back to Germany to be with his family, which you can understand. 

Good player when fit but not available for enough games in my opinion

• Like 2