BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading (A)

Just now, darrenrover said:

I think on occasions he's helped out by players' absences through last minute injuries or illness.

It’s an obvious criticism.

Are these players really ill or picking up knocks? It must happen at clubs all over. But listening to Mowbray talk in the press about certain players and not others makes it difficult to believe at times, and more like reasons to pick who he favours while avoiding criticism.

I do worry that the Holtby signing means the end of Rothwell, who appears to have real trouble impressing Mowbray while at the same time impressing fans.

So far this season, we are fairly even on W and L - let’s hope we’ve turned a corner.

• Like 2

Just now, The Hypnotic said:

Maybe spending a week with the players, observing them at training and monitoring their mental state qualifies Tony to pick his own squad? Sounds like Evans was great today, fair play to him and fair play to TM for picking him. Armstrong scored despite expert consensus on here being against his selection and it’s not long since people wanted Dack dropped for losing form. TM knows what he’s doing, some folk on here need to give him a bit more respect. 

2 goals in 25 games would certainly warrant some kind of criticism of Arma though wouldn't you agree? Scored a great goal today but you cannot come on here shoving peoples noses in it when in general, he has been pretty poor in the Championship. I hope he continues but the number of chances he has missed, the amount of times he has mistimed his runs (must be the most offside player in the league) - what we should all just say its ok? 

As for Evans, only seems to play when he really has to. Hence end of contract coming soon or being put down the pecking order. Put in a great display just like he did before the end of his last contract when in Div 3, now he is rarely getting a game and his next payday is on his mind.

Further, if Evans would consistently play like he did today, he wouldnt find himself down the pecking order that TM now has in mind. Just further clarifies what i am saying. Plays when he wants/needs to. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 8

Just now, Stuart said:

Are these players really ill or picking up knocks? It must happen at clubs all over. But listening to Mowbray talk in the press about certain players and not others makes it difficult to believe at times, and more like reasons to pick who he favours while avoiding criticism.

I do worry that the Holtby signing means the end of Rothwell, who appears to have real trouble impressing Mowbray while at the same time impressing fans.

So far this season, we are fairly even on W and L - let’s hope we’ve turned a corner.

I'm not sure about Rothwell's future either or more to the point what his best position in the team is. Bit of an enigma perhaps?

Maybe spending a week with the players, observing them at training and monitoring their mental state qualifies Tony to pick his own squad? Sounds like Evans was great today, fair play to him and fair play to TM for picking him. Armstrong scored despite expert consensus on here being against his selection and it’s not long since people wanted Dack dropped for losing form. TM knows what he’s doing, some folk on here need to give him a bit more respect. 

But he keeps altering the line up and expecting players to gel. Good sides are usually based on consistency with players creating partnerships all over the pitch. Last time out Travis was dropped and Johnson didn’t play as well as he had, this week it was the other way around. Prior to that both were being talked about as the best partnership for a good while. We were the post away from 2-2 today but got the points. We won’t achieve that consistency until Tony starts to pick and trust his best XI. Despite a decent strike today, Armstrong isn’t in that yet for me.

Compare us with Preston, for instance. They seem to have a settled midfield and defence and (early days) sit third. We’ve settled on Williams and Lenihan (no knocks or illness for them) and look more solid at the back - why keep tinkering in midfield? (The answer, of course, is that we have too many of them).

• Like 3

Just now, Stuart said:

Are the players really ill? Why are you even trying to go there? What’s the point?

If we win without Rothwell then so be it. It’s not Rothwell FC. Holtby is a great signing, let’s not use that as a stick to beat people with. Our squad is the strongest it’s been in many years. Someone will have to be left out.

We’re in the top half and gaining momentum. What is more pleasing is the way we’re playing. Very encouraging signs.

Also, the away kit. No. Hard to pick out our players against Reading’s kit today. 

• Like 4

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

why? it working under Mowbray and still people still look for faults instead of enjoying the 3 points, within touch of the playoffs and the current form 

I'm pleased we won but not sure I agree that paying £13m for Gallagher, Brereton and Armstrong to play on the right wing is working out particularly well.

• Like 3

40 goals in 100 apps is a good return in any League.

• Like 3

Just now, JacknOry said:

2 goals in 25 games would certainly warrant some kind of criticism of Arma though wouldn't you agree? Scored a great goal today but you cannot come on here shoving peoples noses in it when in general, he has been pretty poor in the Championship. I hope he continues but the number of chances he has missed, the amount of times he has mistimed his runs (must be the most offside player in the league) - what we should all just say its ok? 

As for Evans, only seems to play when he really has to. Hence end of contract coming soon or being put down the pecking order. Put in a great display just like he did before the end of his last contract when in Div 3, now he is rarely getting a game and his next payday is on his mind.

You’re missing the point and putting words in my mouth... I’m not saying that Evans is a good player or should be in the squad every week, and I don’t think that Armstrong’s goal ratio is acceptable. I just think it’s a bit rich that people refer to “tombola” (becoming the new BRFCS buzz word) and picking a winning team through luck, rather than giving the coach the credit he deserves. Maybe Tony saw that Evans was raring to go, he certainly played very well for NI recently. Obviously he had a lot of faith in Armstrong and Dack so it’s great that’s starting to pay off. How about respecting the fact that TM has been a coach for a long time and actually knows what he’s doing?

• Like 7

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Are the players really ill? Why are you even trying to go there? What’s the point?

If we win without Rothwell then so be it. It’s not Rothwell FC. Holtby is a great signing, let’s not use that as a stick to beat people with. Our squad is the strongest it’s been in many years. Someone will have to be left out.

We’re in the top half and gaining momentum. What is more pleasing is the way we’re playing. Very encouraging signs.

Also, the away kit. No. Hard to pick out our players against Reading’s kit today. 

How long until Holtby is inexplicably dropped while on form? It’s not just about Rothwell, it’s an approach Mowbray has taken because he spends too much time in the Midfielder Store and now appears to need to make excuses.

Look, we’ve won today and anyone who isn’t happy with that will naturally end up in arguments with people trying to point score.

Have a good evening.

9 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

You’re missing the point and putting words in my mouth... I’m not saying that Evans is a good player or should be in the squad every week, and I don’t think that Armstrong’s goal ratio is acceptable. I just think it’s a bit rich that people refer to “tombola” (becoming the new BRFCS buzz word) and picking a winning team through luck, rather than giving the coach the credit he deserves. Maybe Tony saw that Evans was raring to go, he certainly played very well for NI recently. Obviously he had a lot of faith in Armstrong and Dack so it’s great that’s starting to pay off. How about respecting the fact that TM has been a coach for a long time and actually knows what he’s doing?

Not sure you will find either from me and im not sure i have seen anyone suggest he picked a team through luck. TM of course deserves the credit for putting together an away win, not sure anyone really has criticized him in that manner. Of course people will question teams at the start of matches but what i find odd is those, like you, that will not comment at the starting lineup but wait until the end so that they can attack those that did. Had we lost, you wouldn't be anywhere to be seen.

To further my post, you seem to agree that AA and Evans would not have been in your own starting eleven. So why are you attacking others for suggesting so before the start of the match?. At least they had the balls to put it down on here. You just wait till the end and then attack anyone that questions the lineup - a lineup that in your own wors you would have not selected.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 5

Only listened on the radio today, but it did sound like we were under the cosh and the introduction of the three experienced heads for us took the sting out of this game, and that we say the last few minutes through pretty comfortably. That's got to be a good sign going forward as last year I'd have been sure we would have thrown that away.

Two big home games coming up. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Just now, Hasta said:

Only listened on the radio today, but it did sound like we were under the coss and the introduction of the three experienced heads for us took the sting out of this game, and that we say the last few minutes through pretty comfortably. That's got to be a good sign going forward as last year I'd have been sure we would have thrown that away.

Two big home games coming up. 

That's exactly what happened. The experienced players, which I hold my hand up and admit I was a bit dubious about are proving to be absolutely key.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Stuart said:

But he keeps altering the line up and expecting players to gel. Good sides are usually based on consistency with players creating partnerships all over the pitch. Last time out Travis was dropped and Johnson didn’t play as well as he had, this week it was the other way around. Prior to that both were being talked about as the best partnership for a good while. We were the post away from 2-2 today but got the points. We won’t achieve that consistency until Tony starts to pick and trust his best XI. Despite a decent strike today, Armstrong isn’t in that yet for me.

Compare us with Preston, for instance. They seem to have a settled midfield and defence and (early days) sit third. We’ve settled on Williams and Lenihan (no knocks or illness for them) and look more solid at the back - why keep tinkering in midfield? (The answer, of course, is that we have too many of them).

Preston aren't blessed with our riches of depth so the team practically picks itself.  Yes they do sit above us, in September. So do Charlton who are proving to be completely lost without their only goal threat. Let's see what happens when the injuries kick in, we're obviously light in defence but elsewhere bob on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stuart said:

How long until Holtby is inexplicably dropped while on form? It’s not just about Rothwell, it’s an approach Mowbray has taken because he spends too much time in the Midfielder Store and now appears to need to make excuses.

Look, we’ve won today and anyone who isn’t happy with that will naturally end up in arguments with people trying to point score.

Have a good evening.

Like how Williams has been dropped? Cunningham? Dack? Lenihan? Etc. You get the gist. The wider squad is being rotated and we’re winning. It’s a good position to be in. My question is why are you choosing to bring this up when there’s plenty to be pleased about. If that’s considered point scoring then so be it.

Likewise.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

Isn't Tony's tombola a reference to his hard to predict team selection and the fact that nobody can remember how many times he has sent out an unchanged side.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

I'm pleased we won but not sure I agree that paying £13m for Gallagher, Brereton and Armstrong to play on the right wing is working out particularly well.

Armstrong played wide left today. I think he is better suited to wide role in 4-2-3-1 formation. Gallagher should be up front in majority of games. 

Just now, MCMC1875 said:

Isn't Tony's tombola a reference to his hard to predict team selection and the fact that nobody can remember how many times he has sent out an unchanged side.

why does it matter so much? 

who cares if we predict the team selection as long as we win

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

why does it matter so much? 

who cares if we predict the team selection as long as we win

I think it's just a bit disconcerting for people as it's a bit unusual. With that said you're right, if we're in good form it doesn't matter whether one player or the entire team is changed from week to week. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Not sure you will find either from me and im not sure i have seen anyone suggest he picked a team through luck.

Plenty of people have suggested exactly that in the past  

TM of course deserves the credit for putting together an away win, not sure anyone really has criticized him in that manner. Of course people will question teams at the start of matches but what i find odd is those, like you, that will not comment at the starting lineup but wait until the end so that they can attack those that did. Had we lost, you wouldn't be anywhere to be seen.

You keep missing the point I was making. I was responding to a post which referred to tombola tony doing it again, and pointing out that our qualified and experienced manager may actually have a grasp of how to select a winning football team. Not arguing with anyone’s criticism of the starting lineup. 

46 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

To further my post, you seem to agree that AA and Evans would not have been in your own starting eleven. So why are you attacking others for suggesting so before the start of the match?. At least they had the balls to put it down on here. You just wait till the end and then attack anyone that questions the lineup - a lineup that in your own wors you would have not selected.

This is 100% wrong. I wouldn’t have picked Evans but I’m able to trust Tony Mowbray when he picks him, and give credit to him for making an unpopular choice and winning another match for us. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion and I’d have agreed before the match that Evans wouldn’t be in my first eleven. I’m not attacking anyone for that. I’m having a go at those who suggest that Tony doesn’t know what he’s doing, and suggest that he picks favourites or stumbles across a winning side when certain players are out injured. Some cannot give TM any credit whatsoever and take great delight in magnifying every mistake and downplaying every success he has. No, he’s not Guardiola, Ferguson or Mourinho but he’s an honest, hardworking and knowledgable man who happens to be our coach so I think I am within my rights to disagree with those who denigrate him at every turn.

• Like 7