BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading (A)

Excellent win today against a club we generally don’t do well against. 

A lot of good performers out there today but Downing and Evans stood out. Downing must be up there with Williams as our best player so far this season, he’s been class since coming to the club.

I’m not a big fan of Evans but he does have talent when he’s fully motivated. He played some clever passes today.

Travis had one of his poorer games I thought. Very sloppy in possession. 

Dack is class obviously and showed that again today. Surely a prem club will come calling this summer if we fail to go up. 

Loved Holtby’s enthusiasm. He sprinted to the touchline when TM called him back from his warm up to go on. He played like he was delighted to be playing again and that perhaps meant he was not as composed as he normally is but still showed good touches. 

It’s only now I think we can begin to look back at the summer transfer window and say it was a huge success. A few of those signings could have gone either way but looks like TM got it right and a top 6 challenge is well and truly on. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong played wide left today. I think he is better suited to wide role in 4-2-3-1 formation. Gallagher should be up front in majority of games. 

why does it matter so much? 

who cares if we predict the team selection as long as we win

It doesn't.

Agreed.

51 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Isn't Tony's tombola a reference to his hard to predict team selection and the fact that nobody can remember how many times he has sent out an unchanged side.

I’ve listened to every interview that our manager has given over the last season and a bit on ifollow and he clearly states that he will change the formation and line up depending on the opposition. I think as manager of the club he is perfectly entitled to do that as long as he accepts the flak that comes his way with a defeat.

He also quite clearly rates Joe Rothwell calling him an amazing talent at the club. He doesn’t want to lose him. He says his priority to improve his work on the offensive side.

• Like 6

For me today was easily the best performance of the season and ones of the better away performances of Mowbrays tenure. A couple of 9's, lots of 8's and a couple of 7's in terms of performance was key to this but almost as pleasing as that was the work date which I thought was exceptional. I know it should be a given but today it stood out like a beacon.

Although today was about a team effort I have to single out Bradley Dack who once again was outstanding. He was like a terrier snapping around them and at times his skill level was on another plane to the other players. Stewart Downing was also outstanding and marines mockery of anyone who doubted him (me included).

• Like 5

Just now, Ossydave said:

Not many people bigging Sam up today. Unfortunately strikers are judged on goals, but for me he was superb again. Won more headers than the rest of the team combined too, can't head a ball according to a few on here mind. 

He does need to start offering a goal threat soon though. 7 starts and 1 sub appearance in the league and no goals, and thats the main thing we are lacking at the moment.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

He does need to start offering a goal threat soon though. 7 starts and 1 sub appearance in the league and no goals, and thats the main thing we are lacking at the moment.

How many chances/shots did he have today game? 

We are scoring goals from different areas and not relying on a couple of players like last season

7 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Not many people bigging Sam up today. Unfortunately strikers are judged on goals, but for me he was superb again. Won more headers than the rest of the team combined too, can't head a ball according to a few on here mind. 

The radio commentators described him as the fulcrum of the team. 

• Like 2

Dack is strong as an ox, not many players as skilled as him could have shaked off two defenders and turned to shoot like he did for the second goal. MiIlwall and Reading aren't top tier opposition, but comfortable wins against lesser opposition is not to be taken for granted, and the squad looks deeper than it has for a long time. Get one of Graham or Gallagher firing, and things would start to look really hopeful.  

Really enjoyable game and easily our best away performance for some time.  I thought Downing was outstanding and seems to have boundless energy for getting up and down the pitch.  Evans, who usually comes in for criticism was excellent in midfield - he does the things that don't catch the eye but which are vital for a properly functioning team.  Travis wasn't at his best and seems to be playing in his shell at times - too many easy backward passes rather than looking for forward runs.  Dack was back to his best, particularly in the second half and it was great to see Holtby, Johnson, Graham and Downing kill the game in the closing stages with some excellent passing and keep ball.  

It's still a work in progress but Mowbray is certainly moving us in the right direction in terms of how we are trying to play.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Hypnotic said:

You keep missing the point I was making. I was responding to a post which referred to tombola tony doing it again, and pointing out that our qualified and experienced manager may actually have a grasp of how to select a winning football team. Not arguing with anyone’s criticism of the starting lineup. 

This is 100% wrong. I wouldn’t have picked Evans but I’m able to trust Tony Mowbray when he picks him, and give credit to him for making an unpopular choice and winning another match for us. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion and I’d have agreed before the match that Evans wouldn’t be in my first eleven. I’m not attacking anyone for that. I’m having a go at those who suggest that Tony doesn’t know what he’s doing, and suggest that he picks favourites or stumbles across a winning side when certain players are out injured. Some cannot give TM any credit whatsoever and take great delight in magnifying every mistake and downplaying every success he has. No, he’s not Guardiola, Ferguson or Mourinho but he’s an honest, hardworking and knowledgable man who happens to be our coach so I think I am within my rights to disagree with those who denigrate him at every turn.

Well he does mix up his teams doesnt he? I hev not got one selection right since he has been here. 

As for the bolded bit - would you criticise him when he does not make a popular choice in terms of lineup and we lose? I have never seen a negative word from you - at all. So for you to then come on here post-event and then attack others, is low dude. Nail your flag to the mast pre-match like some do here, suggest who you want to see, why you dont want other players in the team - if not, shut up, and stop nailing others for it.

You launched into the armchair experts about Armstrong as your intitial post and then into Evans, both payers you yourself suggested would not have been in your starting eleven. So why are you now throwing that in the faces of people that questioned their place?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

Maybe spending a week with the players, observing them at training and monitoring their mental state qualifies Tony to pick his own squad? Sounds like Evans was great today, fair play to him and fair play to TM for picking him. Armstrong scored despite expert consensus on here being against his selection and it’s not long since people wanted Dack dropped for losing form. TM knows what he’s doing, some folk on here need to give him a bit more respect. 

Well we won so no-one can complain. Simple as that. However we know from experience with Evans how it goes over a longer period than one game!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Preston aren't blessed with our riches of depth so the team practically picks itself.  Yes they do sit above us, in September. So do Charlton who are proving to be completely lost without their only goal threat. Let's see what happens when the injuries kick in, we're obviously light in defence but elsewhere bob on.

If Preston aren't blessed with our riches of depth why are they always above us? 

There's a point being made there----by you!

5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

2 goals in 25 games would certainly warrant some kind of criticism of Arma though wouldn't you agree? Scored a great goal today but you cannot come on here shoving peoples noses in it when in general, he has been pretty poor in the Championship. I hope he continues but the number of chances he has missed, the amount of times he has mistimed his runs (must be the most offside player in the league) - what we should all just say its ok? 

As for Evans, only seems to play when he really has to. Hence end of contract coming soon or being put down the pecking order. Put in a great display just like he did before the end of his last contract when in Div 3, now he is rarely getting a game and his next payday is on his mind.

Further, if Evans would consistently play like he did today, he wouldnt find himself down the pecking order that TM now has in mind. Just further clarifies what i am saying. Plays when he wants/needs to. 

So correct and also the fact that he may now realise that he could seriously be out of the selection picture for some time if he dosn't shape himself. Lazy sod. 

2 hours ago, rovers11 said:

Excellent win today against a club we generally don’t do well against. 

A lot of good performers out there today but Downing and Evans stood out. Downing must be up there with Williams as our best player so far this season, he’s been class since coming to the club.

I’m not a big fan of Evans but he does have talent when he’s fully motivated. He played some clever passes today.

Travis had one of his poorer games I thought. Very sloppy in possession. 

Dack is class obviously and showed that again today. Surely a prem club will come calling this summer if we fail to go up. 

Loved Holtby’s enthusiasm. He sprinted to the touchline when TM called him back from his warm up to go on. He played like he was delighted to be playing again and that perhaps meant he was not as composed as he normally is but still showed good touches. 

It’s only now I think we can begin to look back at the summer transfer window and say it was a huge success. A few of those signings could have gone either way but looks like TM got it right and a top 6 challenge is well and truly on. 

Great to hear. 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Still not sure why Travis dummied it for their goal 

After seeing the highlights on Quest it looked to me like he was frightened of contact with their player who may have decided to fall over in the penalty area. 

1 hour ago, Swanson said:

20190921_233616.jpg

Sam Gallagher will be a star for us.

(A few goals please Sam if you are reading this, cheers.)

• Like 2

Just now, old darwen blue said:

So correct and also the fact that he may now realise that he could seriously be out of the selection picture for some time if he dosn't shape himself. Lazy sod. 

Great to hear. 

After seeing the highlights on Quest it looked to me like he was frightened of contact with their player who may have decided to fall over in the penalty area. 

Sam Gallagher will be a star for us.

(A few goals please Sam if you are reading this, cheers.)

For a so-called forward he never really looks like scoring a goal.  It’s a bad trait for an attacking player.

Cracking result for Rovers and an impressive cameo from Lewis Holtby.  Mowbrays starting to be spoilt for choice with his squad, and I am overjoyed for him.  A win next week will give us an unbeaten month.  Things starting to look good right now for us, keep going lads.

Match stats, reaction from the Mexican Rover and more.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

How many chances/shots did he have today game? 

We are scoring goals from different areas and not relying on a couple of players like last season

He needs to do more to create opportunities for himself. He must score 15 as a lone striker at least for the season, so needs to start producing. We cannot have a lone man who doesn't score. Let's hope he starts soon. 

Great win yesterday. I've been critical of Mowbray and his tactics but I'll give credit he got them right yesterday. 

For those criticising Evans previous performances, I'd say he always plays better when he has a decent partner alongside him who shares the load. He goes missing when he is the main midfielder. Now we are getting better midfielders maybe we will see a better player. The recent Oldham cup game when he was poor with Smallwood played alongside him helps my point. Whether he is good enough to be a fixture in the team is debateable but as I've said before he is certainly good enough to be in this squad if he can stay fit. 

Back To Back!!!???. Boys left everything on the pitch today!! @BradDacks40 and @AdamArma9 coming up trumps again!!?. Great to have @LewisHoltby at the club and make his debut today! All round team effort today. Safe journey home to all!!???? @Rovers #ArteEtLabore ???

Great tweet by Greg Cunningham