BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading (A)

I think Gallagher has potential as the lone man. Big guy, fairly pacey, he certainly has the tools. He does need to start scoring more though but I think they are really going to keep persevering with him. Think DG is now understudy and he was always going to have to be phased out at some point.

Edited by JacknOry

Good strikers even when not in goalscoring form repeatedly get into goalscoring positions. The worry is always when them chances are not coming very often.

Dack has 40 goals in 100 games and I struggle to remember one outside of the box. For all of his tricks and nutmegs he is brilliant at anticipating where the ball will fall in the penalty area. 

Much about goalscoring is about movement off the ball and anticipation. Im not convinced Gallagher has that strikers instinct to sniff out potential chances.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Good strikers even when not in goalscoring form repeatedly get into goalscoring positions. The worry is always when them chances are not coming very often.

Dack has 40 goals in 100 games and I struggle to remember one outside of the box. For all of his tricks and nutmegs he is brilliant at anticipating where the ball will fall in the penalty area. 

Much about goalscoring is about movement off the ball and anticipation. Im not convinced Gallagher has that strikers instinct to sniff out potential chances.

Carlise he got one but yes, he doesnt get many from outside the box. his goals are about late runs into the box.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyM said:

For me - a very good all round performance and a great result showing some real character and resilience towards the end.

A few observations...

Downing is a player of real ability - shame he isn't a few years younger, but still seems to have the legs to keep going. Excellent.

Holtby looked a bit  rough, but showed enough in a couple of touches and passes to see he is a very talented player. How he can be fitted in to the team will be the issue to solve for the next few weeks.

Gallagher played like a proper centre forward, real energy and strength  and won great headers -  but someone needs to be much closer to him to make his hard work pay. At the moment, Armstrong has obviously been told to stay out wide, and Dack is usually too far away to take advantage. That distance works with Graham, because he tends to chest down the long ball, control it and play it back/or lay it off, but Gallagher plays differently and flicks the ball on forwards or sideways with his head and too often no-one is there for him.

Evans worked hard, but tailed off and needed to be subbed. When Johnson came on, it was noticeable how much he was pointing, shouting and directing those around him which was really needed as Reading were coming back at us quite strongly then.. Should really be captain, if he had the legs to play in every game.

Travis didn't have a great game - worked hard, but seemed a bit reluctant to really drive forward for some reason, and played too many sideways/backwards passes, some of which went astray. He can be much better than yesterday.

Probably tempting fate, but for the first time in a very long time (years) I think we have the makings of a very promising & exciting team being put together.

That is not his game is it.  I noticed it too, seen it on occasion in a few other games.  On e of the reasons I was so high.on this kid was as soon as he.got the ball he looked for the forward pass or he would turn and move forward quickly.  I bet Mowbary is coaching the lad's natural instincts out of him.and it WILL buggar him up, no doubt in my mind.  Kid was doing fine he needs to let him do what comes naturally.  All just my opinion of course.

Just now, USABlue said:

I bet Mowbary is coaching the lad's natural instincts out of him.and it WILL buggar him up, no doubt in my mind.  

Sorry but can I just unequivocally state that I believe this to be complete horse manure?

In my opinion, he’s come on leaps and bounds because of the management team, not despite it.

• Like 6

Just now, JacknOry said:

I think Gallagher has potential as the lone man. Big guy, fairly pacey, he certainly has the tools. He does need to start scoring more though but I think they are really going to keep persevering with him. Think DG is now understudy and he was always going to have to be phased out at some point.

He has plenty of tools especially physically but, as much as I appreciate the methodology behind phasing out a veteran striker for a young striker, if he continues to not score goals youd presume that Graham would have to come back in.

Against Luton next week could be a perfect chance for Gallagher to get a goal mind.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How many chances to score as Gallagher had to score this season? 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I am not opta, how should I know. Not that many which ties into my earlier comments about good strikers always getting chances regardless of form, they get into the right positions.

Only asked a simple question. 

Or that fact we created many chances for him. Just like when Armstrong or Graham plays also

All well and good but if he doesn't contribute goals he's not doing the main thing a striker is paid to do. I daresay no-one will mention how many headers he wins if we lose a couple and his drought continues...and that's before his price tag is taken into consideration.

• Like 1

Just now, LDRover said:

All well and good but if he doesn't contribute goals he's not doing the main thing a striker is paid to do. I daresay no-one will mention how many headers he wins if we lose a couple and his drought continues...and that's before his price tag is taken into consideration.

Did you see his contribution yesterday ?

• Like 1

Just now, rigger said:

Did you see his contribution yesterday ?

No. I'm just pointing out that ultimately strikers are judged on goals not headers won. I'm delighted he put himself about yesterday and was a handful in the air but he needs to hit the old onion bag once in a while too.

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

Winning the headers make the defenders have to turn towards their own goal, making their jobs harder 

Only if it's a shite back line. Generally one centre half will compete and the other will drop 10 yards behind to cover. Added to that the 2 full backs will tuck in narrow to cover as well.

If you're talking about long diagonal balls that's different but would also suggest Gallagher is playing wide rather than central.

• Like 1