BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Luton Town home

We have posts discussing the next five games but in the spirit of one game at a time let's talk about Luton. By the way I will settle for five 1-0 wins now, not being greedy or anything.

There are plenty expecting us to hammer an outfit which was in League 2 when we were sending expeditionary forces around the nether regions of League 1.

And to be honest, having watched a bit of Luton's recent games I have to agree Luton look to be vulnerable for a thrashing at Ewood the way they play.

Assuming Tosin's knock is recovered and Rothwell has no more guts left to throw up I would play both and go

Walton 

Wing backs Bennett and Downing

Three at the back Adarabioyo Lenaghan Williams

Midfield Johnson Hotby

Offensive midfield 

Rothwell Dack Gallagher

DG up top

Reasoning is Luton play a flat back four zonal marking so there are plenty of opportunities to get round them, in between them and half chances are gifted plentifully which I would entrust Graham with more than anyone else.

Luton also have a flat line across the edge of their area which they don't come forwards to block from so having scored from outside the area in each of our last two games there is a definite opportunity to make it three goals from distance in a row for Rovers.

Also worth noting Luton defence are neither the quickest nor strongest. They do rely heavily on having an excellent keeper.

Going forward Luton tend to play through the middle and strike on sight of goal. That would favour having the back three working together for Rovers.

Not making a prediction beyond expecting an open game.

• Like 3

Just now, philipl said:

We have posts discussing the next five games but in the spirit of one game at a time let's talk about Luton. By the way I will settle for five 1-0 wins now, not being greedy or anything.

There are plenty expecting us to hammer an outfit which was in League 2 when we were sending expeditionary forces around the nether regions of League 1.

And to be honest, having watched a bit of Luton's recent games I have to agree Luton look to be vulnerable for a thrashing at Ewood the way they play.

Assuming Tosin's knock is recovered and Rothwell has no more guts left to throw up I would play both and go

Walton 

Wing backs Bennett and Downing

Three at the back Adarabioyo Lenaghan Williams

Midfield Johnson Hotby

Offensive midfield 

Rothwell Dack Gallagher

DG up top

Reasoning is Luton play a flat back four zonal marking so there are plenty of opportunities to get round them, in between them and half chances are gifted plentifully which I would entrust Graham with more than anyone else.

Luton also have a flat line across the edge of their area which they don't come forwards to block from so having scored from outside the area in each of our last two games there is a definite opportunity to make it three goals from distance in a row for Rovers.

Also worth noting Luton defence are neither the quickest nor strongest. They do rely heavily on having an excellent keeper.

Going forward Luton tend to play through the middle and strike on sight of goal. That would favour having the back three working together for Rovers.

Not making a prediction beyond expecting an open game.

12 players?

They've got a home tie with Leicester tomorrow night, which I imagine will be their first team. Gives us another couple of days preparation.

Looks like they're a side who play on the deck, regardless of opposition. Should suit some of our squad quite nicely.

Walton

Bennett Lenihan Williams Cunningham

Travis Johnson

Dowining    Dack   Armstrong

Graham

The opening sentence is so true Philip. We should be looking no further than the next game and all the focus should be on that. Luton will provide us with tough opposition and although they have a propensity to concede they can score too. And Rovers fans of long standing know from was experiences that we can make hard work of what are eminently winnable games.

I'll take a win of any description.

• Like 6

• J*B pinned this topic

Home game against Luton is a chance to really go for it and give our attacking players some freedom without worrying too much about the opposition. Cue the next Mowbray interview he talks up the quality of the Luton side and how we need to be cautious and build a formation to stop them playing first. 

I would go for this although I expect the same side as last game. 

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Cunningham

Rothwell Johnson Travis

Dack

Gallagher    Armstrong

Subs: Williams, Rankin Costello, Bennett, Holtby, Buckley, Graham, Leutwiler

On a side note. Our bench looks much stronger now than it has for the last 4 or 5 years. 

Edited by benhben

If we don't choke here and follow up the Reading result with another win we will have turned a new corner. 

I'd go with the following :

Gk: Walton 

Rwb: Bennett 

Cb: Lenihan 

Cb: Tosin

Cb: Williams 

Lwb: Cunningham

Cm: Travis 

Cm: Holtby

Amc: Dack

Fwd: Armstrong  

Fwd: Gallagher 

Tough to not start Graham but hard to drop Armstrong after the Reading performance and I fancy Gallagher to get his first league goal/s of the season here. Fancy the team above will be too much to handle and assured in defence. What Mowbray goes with is hard to predict, but I'll for a 3-1 Rovers win. 

This is a bonkers, topsy-turvy league, but I think we are building a strong enough side to compete, as long as we polish out the silly unforced errors and goal-giveaway tactics that have undone us in recent times.

I'd like to see Rovers come out of the starting blocks fast and fearless, using strength in depth on the bench to administer twists and turns that make us hard to play against for 90 minutes. I really want us to build a 'Fortress Ewood' mentality, because that will have a positive impact on attendances which will, in turn, benefit the club longer term.

That said, I am not yet convinced we have got rid of the glass jaw, so I think we will concede - but our new recruit plus the Dack talisman will be too strong for Luton. The last game against the Hatters that I can remember was an FA Cup tie at their place, on TV, where we scored three or four I think (Gamst amongst the goals

COYB

Edited by WIR Second Coming
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, philipl said:

That 4-0 FA Cup win was Chris Samba's debut game.

I thought his debut was vs Blythe Spartans in the cup? Am I remembering wrong?

Either way somehow I forget just how big the bloke was until I see him celebrating with the rest of the team there... What I wouldn't give for a young samba in the current side!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

This is a bonkers, topsy-turvy league, but I think we are building a strong enough side to compete, as long as we polish out the silly unforced errors and goal-giveaway tactics that have undone us in recent times.

I'd like to see Rovers come out of the starting blocks fast and fearless, using strength in depth on the bench to administer twists and turns that make us hard to play against for 90 minutes. I really want us to build a 'Fortress Ewood' mentality, because that will have a positive impact on attendances which will, in turn, benefit the club longer term.

That said, I am not yet convinced we have got rid of the glass jaw, so I think we will concede - but our new recruit plus the Dack talisman will be too strong for Luton. The last game against the Hatters that I can remember was an FA Cup tie at their place, on TV, where we scored three or four I think (Gamst amongst the goals

COYB

Believe Derbyshire got two that day. His career never really developed in the way I hoped it might've, but a 21 year old Derbyshire coming through now wouldn't half be a good addition to our squad imo. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

If we underestimate Luton we really could come unstuck. Pretty sure most fans and pundits alike will make us clear favourites but it's true there's no easy games in this league. Treat them with respect but seal a nice 2-0 win and I'll be a happy chap.

In fairness if there's one thing we can't accuse Mowbray of it's underestimating anybody. He'll have made sure we're well prepared no matter who the opposition are.

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

If we underestimate Luton we really could come unstuck. Pretty sure most fans and pundits alike will make us clear favourites but it's true there's no easy games in this league. Treat them with respect but seal a nice 2-0 win and I'll be a happy chap.

very true. some fans thought the same against the Charlton. 

Luton either play 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-1-2. 

So it will be interesting to see how they go

My Team 

Walton

Bennett Lenihan Williams Cunningham

Travis  Johnson

Downing     Dack      Armstrong

Gallagher

Subs:- Luetwiler Nyambe Tosin Evans Rothwell Holtby Graham