BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Luton Town home

4 hours ago, AspRover said:

I thought his debut was vs Blythe Spartans in the cup? Am I remembering wrong?

Either way somehow I forget just how big the bloke was until I see him celebrating with the rest of the team there... What I wouldn't give for a young samba in the current side!

I think you are remembering carlos villanueva ...still playing, apparently, in Saudi

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

He and Samba are pretty similar tbf.

Haha, yeah, but Carlos Kickaball did make his debut at a very cold and frosty Blyth, in the FA Cup..

Samba was a beast, and his partnership with The Admiral was awesome. Oh for a back line of Olsen, Samba, Nelsen and Neil...with Big Brad a safe pair of HellBoy Hands right behind them :)

Still, back to the real world of today and this weekend's challenge, I'd hope we can comfortably see off the mad Hatters and seal a satisfactory return from September.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Haha, yeah, but Carlos Kickaball did make his debut at a very cold and frosty Blyth, in the FA Cup..

Samba was a beast, and his partnership with The Admiral was awesome. Oh for a back line of Olsen, Samba, Nelsen and Neil...with Big Brad a safe pair of HellBoy Hands right behind them :)

Still, back to the real world of today and this weekend's challenge, I'd hope we can comfortably see off the mad Hatters and seal a satisfactory return from September.

With that back 4 , we would be promoted...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Crowds may rise a little on good form and they do generally as the season gets properly going. But we are talking hundreds.

Its only a decent season ticket sale rise that will lead to a proper increase, and Waggott just flunked that (again).

Still though, if we’re top 6 come half ST selling season, it’s likely much easier!

9 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I would like to see rothwell start but after Armstrong’s screamer at Reading I don’t see in place of who. Maybe save Downing for Forest on Tuesday?  

Think resting Downing would make sense, he’s 35 after all. Arma and Rothwell wide for me and a Travis-Johnson midfield, apart from that, the same as Reading.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Not sure that back line ever played together. Warnock and Emerton were the full backs when Samba and Nelsen were our cbs.

Just now, RV Blue said:

Think resting Downing would make sense, he’s 35 after all. Arma and Rothwell wide for me and a Travis-Johnson midfield, apart from that, the same as Reading.

With Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday games next week I can see most of our first choice 18 getting a start in those three games, think Downing will be rested for the midweek game myself.

• Like 1

No idea what the team will be. I'm unsure TM does yet either but at present the rotation is working well so can't really complain! 

Feel this is a game where perhaps we should be focussing more on our strengths rather than the opposition and feels like our League 1 tactics/approach of Graham and Dack may be best suited for this one. 

This is a different kind of game for Rovers - not the blood and guts of Millwall, or the tactical challenge of Reading - but a game where the expectation and pressure is solidly on Rovers to win. In some ways I feel this challenge is perhaps one TM struggles with more and it'll be interesting to see if we can meet the challenge. 

Being optimistic 2-1 Rovers. 

30 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

No idea what the team will be. I'm unsure TM does yet either but at present the rotation is working well so can't really complain! 

Feel this is a game where perhaps we should be focussing more on our strengths rather than the opposition and feels like our League 1 tactics/approach of Graham and Dack may be best suited for this one. 

This is a different kind of game for Rovers - not the blood and guts of Millwall, or the tactical challenge of Reading - but a game where the expectation and pressure is solidly on Rovers to win. In some ways I feel this challenge is perhaps one TM struggles with more and it'll be interesting to see if we can meet the challenge. 

Being optimistic 2-1 Rovers. 

Do you? I would suggest our record beating points tally in League 1, beaten by an equally great season by Wigan only, proves that Mowbray is more than capable of winning games that he should be winning.

• Like 2

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Do you? I would suggest our record beating points tally in League 1, beaten by an equally great season by Wigan only, proves that Mowbray is more than capable of winning games that he should be winning.

I meant more in the Championship although that wasn't clear. We seemed to do better and perform better Vs the bigger clubs in the championship then the weaker ones, especially in the first half of last season.

In fact in League 1 as well a lot of people commented that we did better and seemed more at home Vs the better teams in the league than the weaker ones, where we sometimes struggled a bit. Contrast our good performances against the team's in the playoffs Vs struggles Vs Plymouth and Oldham near the bottom. So yeah, I think it's a fair comment to say TM finds games as the underdog or where we are about even a bit easier. 

8 hours ago, damo100 said:

Just hope Rovers recent run of form attracts a few more fans on and improve what's been a pretty poor atmosphere down Ewood..

You'd think it would attract a few Luton fans, been a long time since they've played at Ewood Park.

In fact, I've never seen Luton at Ewood in my lifetime, and I'm 32!

Rovers 0-1 Luton - Saturday 14th November 1981, when The Hatters would go on to win the title and secure promotion to Division 1. Luton were relegated from the top flight in 1991/92, as Rovers won promotion to the new Premier League. By the time Rovers were relegated in 1998/99, Luton had dropped down to the third tier (then Division 2, now League One) and were in the fourth tier (League Two) when Rovers were promoted from League One, finally we play them in a league match after nearly 40 years of time spent in other divisions.

I do remember this game, FA Cup 4th Round away at Kenilworth Road, live on BBC, lunch time kick off, debut of Chris Samba, if I remember correctly. All against a team managed by former Rovers striker (and Premier League winner) Mike Newell.

Rovers team that day: Friedel, Khizanishvili (Gallagher), Nelsen (Samba), Henchoz, Warnock, Bentley, Emerton, Mokoena, Pedersen, Derbyshire, McCarthy (Jeffers)

Goals: Derbyshire (10, 56), McCarthy (37), Pedersen (74)

Anyone remember this match in the snow at Ewood?

33 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

You'd think it would attract a few Luton fans, been a long time since they've played at Ewood Park.

In fact, I've never seen Luton at Ewood in my lifetime, and I'm 32!

Rovers 0-1 Luton - Saturday 14th November 1981, when The Hatters would go on to win the title and secure promotion to Division 1. Luton were relegated from the top flight in 1991/92, as Rovers won promotion to the new Premier League. By the time Rovers were relegated in 1998/99, Luton had dropped down to the third tier (then Division 2, now League One) and were in the fourth tier (League Two) when Rovers were promoted from League One, finally we play them in a league match after nearly 40 years of time spent in other divisions.

I do remember this game, FA Cup 4th Round away at Kenilworth Road, live on BBC, lunch time kick off, debut of Chris Samba, if I remember correctly. All against a team managed by former Rovers striker (and Premier League winner) Mike Newell.

Rovers team that day: Friedel, Khizanishvili (Gallagher), Nelsen (Samba), Henchoz, Warnock, Bentley, Emerton, Mokoena, Pedersen, Derbyshire, McCarthy (Jeffers)

Goals: Derbyshire (10, 56), McCarthy (37), Pedersen (74)

Anyone remember this match in the snow at Ewood?

Remember it well Keeley nearly chopped Fucillo in half! I was on the Riverside that day and it happened just in front of me. 

That goal by Noel ???

• Like 2

Just now, old darwen blue said:

Remember it well Keeley nearly chopped Fucillo in half! I was on the Riverside that day and it happened just in front of me. 

That goal by Noel ???

I have been informed that after that Jimmy Hill Kangaroo trial of Glen Keeley for murder, Fucillo actually played the following week!

Any of our anoraks able to confirm that?

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

With momentum building this is a perfect game to add another 3 points to the tally. With Forest at home on Tuesday id imagine Downing and Johnson will both be rested with that game in mind. I also see this as a perfect game to introduce Holtby to the staring line up. 

Walton

Bennett 

Cunningham

Tosin

Del

Lenihan

Travis

Evans

Holtby

Dack

Gallacher