Would love to see 

Walton

Nyambe Tosin Lenihan Cunningham

Travis               Evans

Rothwell        Dack            Holtby

Graham 

Would blow teams up with that 

Edited by CambridgeRover

Chance to end the month on a high, and potential for MOM (the poisoned chalice) for Mowbray.  Oh the selection headache for the gaff for this weekend... start Holtby or not?  Bench spot for Dom or not?  Buckley/Travis/Johnson/Evans midfield?  Walton or the Mountie... oh wait. That ones a given.

As much as I am looking forward to this one, this has the potential to be a major banana skin.  If we can build from the previous two matches and snatch a win, I will be elated with the points haul from September.  Match buildup starts here...

Late in the week I will hear from a Luton Town fan and a Rovers fan. Stick around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Johan Vogel in shot there! Bet he hadn't played in too many matches like this one in his illustrious career. 

Interesting look at the team now:

Bunn (unattached)
Simpson (unattached)
Mokoena (retired)
Khizanishvili (retired, Georgia U-21 asst manager)
Olsson (unattached)
Vogel (retired)
Grella (retired)
Andrews (retired)
Treacy (retired)
Judge (Ipswich Town)
Villanueva (Al-Ittihad, Saudi)
Roberts (retired)
Derbyshire (Omonia Nicosia, Cyprus)
Hodge (Arbroath)
Brown (retired)
Gunning (Billericay Town)
Doran (Inverness Caledonian Thistle)
Haworth (Guiseley)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blue blood said:

I meant more in the Championship although that wasn't clear. We seemed to do better and perform better Vs the bigger clubs in the championship then the weaker ones, especially in the first half of last season.

In fact in League 1 as well a lot of people commented that we did better and seemed more at home Vs the better teams in the league than the weaker ones, where we sometimes struggled a bit. Contrast our good performances against the team's in the playoffs Vs struggles Vs Plymouth and Oldham near the bottom. So yeah, I think it's a fair comment to say TM finds games as the underdog or where we are about even a bit easier. 

Can't say I agree man. I think last season we dispatched of the lesser clubs more often than not - and the ones we didn't tended to be because we loved conceding after 75 mins.

To be truthful our problems last season vs in League 1 were different. Teams in league 1 would literally park the bus and not make an attempt to beat us. Last year we got carved open by teams whether they were top half or bottom half but we did tend to get goals against the lesser sides.

I may talk too early but we have seen out a few close wins already this season and have dispatched with relative ease the lesser clubs, Charlton aside. I suppose Luton at HOME is as big a test of any for this theory but I'm feeling pretty confident we can come away from there with a decent win based on our games vs Hull, Reading, Boro etc all lesser clubs than us this season. 

Edited by Dreams of 1995

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Can't say I agree man. I think last season we dispatched of the lesser clubs more often than not - and the ones we didn't tended to be because we loved conceding after 75 mins.

To be truthful our problems last season vs in League 1 were different. Teams in league 1 would literally park the bus and not make an attempt to beat us. Last year we got carved open by teams whether they were top half or bottom half but we did tend to get goals against the lesser sides.

I may talk too early but we have seen out a few close wins already this season and have dispatched with relative ease the lesser clubs, Charlton aside. I suppose Luton at HOME is as big a test of any for this theory but I'm feeling pretty confident we can come away from there with a decent win based on our games vs Hull, Reading, Boro etc all lesser clubs than us this season. 

Hmm funny how we see the same set of results as showing different things. Both in League 1 (see above examples) and last season (Millwall and Reading home spring to mind, as does the dreadful run in the 2nd half of the season which included a few poor teams) there were times when we were heavy favourites and bottled it. Whether that was because teams parked the bus, we concerned sloppy goals or started slowly it seems to be a reoccurring trend in the past. Against the weaker teams we seem to struggle 

This season does seem a little different albeit again the Charlton game is further evidence we struggle in the easiest (on paper) games. but the recent results suggest we may be moving away from that though. That said on the basis of the last 2 seasons I'm still concerned when it comes to the easier games, and need a few more positive results against such teams for us, imo, to shake the oppinion this isn't an issue. 

8 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

With Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday games next week I can see most of our first choice 18 getting a start in those three games, think Downing will be rested for the midweek game myself.

I’d rather have Downing for Forest than Luton. Downing is better defensively than both Rothwell and Arma.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CambridgeRover said:

Would love to see 

Walton

Nyambe Tosin Lenihan Cunningham

Travis               Evans

Rothwell        Dack            Holtby

Graham 

Would blow teams up with that 

Why would you drop Williams? After he been a key player in our.good form and keeping 4 clean sheet in 6 games

• Like 7

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Why would you drop Williams? After he been a key player in our.good form and keeping 4 clean sheet in 6 games

I agree Chaddy, now we've got a settled pairing at the back why change them ? You should only be left out for poor performances.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

This will be a tough game. I imagine similar to Charlton, where we have all the ball but can we break them down? We are better defensively now, so hopefully won’t get done on the break. Sort of game I’d want us to win by 2/3 goals to show we are serious about challenging for play offs.

Early goal to get Luton to come at us a bit and we should pick them off!

Woooo this is so exciting.

Someone is going to win the Waggott £10 grand giveaway

"Season Tickets, which start from £319 for adults in the RFS Riverside, will remain on sale until Monday September 16th, with the unique prize draw scheduled to take place at half-time of the game against Luton Town at Ewood Park on Saturday September 28th."

Clause 1

"The winner will need to be in the stadium on the day of the game."

Clause 2

“The draw will only happen if we get to that landmark 10K figure, which will get us back to Premier League numbers.”

Oh...that put a damper on it.

On 23/09/2019 at 18:03, renrag said:

In the 1950’s, those of my generation used to have fear in our hearts at the thought of playing Luton. I remember them putting six past us, twice in about 6 weeks, in league and cup. I can also recall a 7-3 thrashing. A guy called Jessie Pye was the tormentor in chief, he probably scored double figures out of those 19 goals

The name that springs to my mind is Jesse Payne. Were there two different individuals who played for Luton?

I know Tommy Briggs scored 7 for us in one game but the record holder for scoring in one game was Payne of Luton Town with 10.

50 minutes ago, bazza said:

The name that springs to my mind is Jesse Payne. Were there two different individuals who played for Luton?

I know Tommy Briggs scored 7 for us in one game but the record holder for scoring in one game was Payne of Luton Town with 10.

You're right, Renrag. It was Jesse Pye who was a prolific scorer for Luton 1952-54.

Joe Payne of Luton scored his 10 in 1936 before we were born.?

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I remember a trip to kenilworth road with junior rovers in the early 80s.  We played the junior hatters before the game and then we were put in the home end for some reason for the match. Loads of little shytes from Luton chanting “we’re going up, we’re going up, you’re not, you’re not...” ?

I think I went to that lost 2 0 ( not a junior ) Derek Fazackerleys last game for Rovers if memory serves me right..

• Like 2

Another great pportunity to get 3 points. Wehave the chance to keep wining as consolidating our high level amd great momentum is a doable rival we have several chances but we can't underestimate then...

If Rovers use Armstrong since minute one and Brandley Johnson we won't any problem...about Holtby well i will use him in one of the halfs but not 90 minutes yet...

I'm specting a 3-0 for Rovers but a victory whatever the score could be would be great fair and necessary.

#ImRoversTillIDie 

#COYBBR 

#RoversForTheTop

#TheMexicanRover 

• Like 3

I wouldn't trade a run of 1-0 wins now for any sort of spectacular scoreline on Saturday but..

Luton conceded 2 very late goals on Saturday and another late one in their 4-0 home defeat last night.

I hope Mowbray has alerted our lot and is thinking about appropriate subs as Luton seem to tire and there could be a cheap goal or two to add to our goal difference late on on Saturday.