BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Luton Town home

Same old rovers today, first goal was a real sucker punch, especially as we started the game so so well, probably the best I’ve seen us play in a long term, albeit, for 10 mins. After that we were awful. Travis the only player who came out with any realcredit, our best player by a long way. Although I did notice that he seems to always play the easy pass, very rarely does he switch the play with a long ball or provide a splitting pass. That aside he was excellent just needs to stop playing it safe all the time. Holtby did alright aswell when he came on him dack and Rothwell will be a handful ( if there ever used together). Overall a poor performance where we didnt really create any guilt edge opportunities. Lose at forest and we are looking a long way off the playoffs and they’re a team who are 8 unbeaten or something like that. Gonna be a tough one. 

On the side that was probably one of the worst refereeing performances I have ever seen. Let Luton get away with far to much time wasting and had no idea why our goal was ruled out.

• Like 2

Think we will do well against Forest - a good performance and possibly a point. The problem is games like these. TM cannot get regular home wins Vs significantly weaker opposition. Right back to league 1 we've had this - Oldham and Plymouth (with their 4,th choice keeper) Millwall and Reading last season, Charlton & Luton this time. When the expectation is clearly on and the opposition weaker TM struggles. 

The lack of a regularly scoring forward doesn't help either. Many of their deficiencies are hidden in being wide midfielders in the 3, but even there questions have to be asked where are the regular goal scorers? All teams to be successful need someone who can nab a goal from nothing/the one chance they get, and with Graham relegated to the bench we don't look like having anyone who can do this. Also if the "3" don't produce a solid amount of goals then who else will. Oy Dack seems likely to get double figures. 

A striker up front with Rothwell Dack and Holtby behind would be a scary proposition for most teams, yet we play indifferent strikers out of position instead. 

Gally's work rate is an asset in games when we have to fight and scrap and have defensive duties to do, but against weaker opposition someone more creative and clinical is needed. 

Really gutted about today as all the cracks plastered by our good run were shown to still be very much there. 

• Like 3

• Backroom
Just now, TruRover said:

Travis the only player who came out with any realcredit, our best player by a long way. Although I did notice that he seems to always play the easy pass, very rarely does he switch the play with a long ball or provide a splitting pass. That aside he was excellent just needs to stop playing it safe all the time.

Sounds like he's been learning from Evans and Smallwood, just like Tony would have wanted. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just listened to Mowbray's interview. Blah, Blah, Blah. Totally uninspiring. It sounded like he was were discussing how he'd lost a 50p down the back of the sofa. At least he realised that playing Gallagher and Armstrong was a mistake.

I’d laugh if it wasn’t so true.

Despite Mowbray’s pithy rhetoric I fully expect Armstrong to play on Tuesday. Gally would depend on which bingo ball pops out. Surely Graham has to start?

Wonder if Rothwell’s cough will have cleared up by then? (Maybe it’s a smokers cough? ???)

Just now, DE. said:

So it's currently 9 league games without a goal for Gallagher and I barely remember him even having a sniff of a decent chance. When should we be a bit concerned, aerial duel prowess aside?

Now. He’s spunked £12 million on two non-scoring strikers who, until today, he predominantly plays out wide.

That was terrible. Gutless, effortless and clueless. Only Travis, Graham and Holtby looked like they were breaking a sweat. 

The blame lays with the boss. That game needed a dedicated winger to come on and Graham on from the beginning.  Pissing about with the ball at the back to then punce it forwards to the centre backs is not a tactic.

Very annoyed by that shower today.

Edited by Pedro
  • Like 2

Wow. 

Always dangerous posting emotionally just after a disappointing defeat, but here goes.

Gallacher isn't a footballer, in my opinion. Still. But TM has committed to playing him come what may. Another huff and puffer. No quality when it matters. 

Samuel. As above. Unfair to judge him on today, but another big, strong, talentless option favoured by TM. 

If TM had been determined to continue to concede 2 or more goals per game, his recruitment plan would have been exactly what we have seen this summer. 

Can anyone tell me why we bypass Dack at every opportunity? Our forward pass to the edge of the box is practically non-existent. Our one plan, to pass wide to a full back, generally results in the end of the attack. 

We dominated posession for 90 minutes, but didn't test their keeper. I repeat, we take the easy option to pass to a full back, rather than take on the trickier, riskier, pass to a forward who is more likely to create a shot on target.

Our quest still seems to be keep it tight til 60 minutes, hopefully not be more than one goal down, then switch to an attacking line-up to hopefully equalise, or sometimes even win.

I really like Bennett, but he is not effective at this level, and is our safest option.

If any of the above was consitently resulting in creative football and/or victories, I suppose the play it safe approach might be justified....

There was a total lack of quality when it mattered.

2 shots on target, neither of which tested the keeper.

Pitiful, and a carbon copy of last season, but without the opportunity to enjoy Dack or Mulgrew's entertaining contributions.

Pitiful.

Edited by garnersfags
Typo

Disappointing loss today- I can see this being a nearly season its loses to Luton and Charlton. I wouldn’t grumble at another mid table finish though, as we’re still work in progress. Overall, we’re lacking a top goal scorer- what a shame Matt Jansen couldn’t have put have dusted off his boots! 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Think hes going mad.

Screenshot_20190928-180612_Twitter.jpg

He does my head in when he chats utter shite like this and largely undoes a lot of the good work he does. Stop chatting utter drivel; we’ve just lost to one of the worst teams in the league at home FFS and had 2 shots on target all match.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 4

Just now, Gary C said:

WALTON

WILLIAMS  LENINHAN ADARABIOYO

BENNETT                                     CUNNINGHAM

HOLTBY        TRAVIS      DOWNING

DACK

GRAHAM

What I'd hope to start with on Tuesday after today's poor show

Personally think that would be dreadful. Gets out better players on the pitch but would be even stodgier than it was today. No pace no attacking movement in that team at all.

Just now, Pedro said:

That was terrible. Gutless, effortless and clueless. Only Travis, Graham and Holtby looked like they were breaking a sweat. 

The blame lays with the boss. That game needed a dedicated winger to come on and Graham on from the beginning.  Pissing about with the ball at the back to then punce it forwards to the centre backs is not a tactic.

Very annoyed by that shower today.

Mowbray was mumbling on about " needing somebody to get to the byeline and pull the ball back for somebody running in " in his interview. No shit Sherlock but Gallager and Samuel won't do that. Chapman might though.

We'd have been better off losing at Reading and winning today, at least the home fans will have gone home happy. I don't dislike Mowbray but being brutally honest he'll never get us promoted if he lives to be a 100. Look at the two teams, look how much we've spent on strikers.  Player for player we are much better.  No disrespect to Luton but they got battered last weekend, they got battered this Wednesday and we turn up like we just expected them to roll over and lie down..

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 7

• Backroom
Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Can’t get my head around Mowbray using Samuel of the bench as a right winger, surely chapman is a better option to change a game 

Why have a winger play on the wing when you can put a striker there instead... right?

• Like 3

Personally think that would be dreadful. Gets out better players on the pitch but would be even stodgier than it was today. No pace no attacking movement in that team at all.

Today's performance apart from the first ten mins was awful. I'm at a loss as to what to suggest probably like a lot of others. Trying to get some better players out on the pitch which would hopefully help results

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mowbray was mumbling on about " needing somebody to get to the byeline and pull the ball back for somebody running in " in his interview. No shit Sherlock but Gallager and Samuel won't do that. Chapman might though.

Exactly. I've championed that lad since he first turned out for us. How he can not choose to put him on the bench, I'll never know.

No point in wasting too much time on this game. No point in dwelling on the ref’s performance, opposition time wasting etc.

A simple classic case of smash and grab from an away side. 11 men behind the ball, score 2 good goals from 2 good crosses and headers (poor defending again obviously), sit deep, defend resolutely and well in the air and we simply weren’t composed/good enough to prise them open.

Pretty well all us in last 20 –how many saves did their keep make?

Classic huff and puff. Classic Rovers. Classic Mowbray.

• Like 1

Can’t get my head around Mowbray using Samuel of the bench as a right winger, surely chapman is a better option to change a game 

Was effectively at RWB too. Most mental sub he’s made. Throwing on strikers into random positions for the sake of appearing to be “Going for it” when we actually just passed the ball around our defence for the entirety of added time like we were winning 3-0. Shocking today

Just now, Gary C said:

Today's performance apart from the first ten mins was awful. I'm at a loss as to what to suggest probably like a lot of others. Trying to get some better players out on the pitch which would hopefully help results

That 11 that started the game today should be streets ahead of Luton. Player for player we are. They need motivating though and obvously that isn't happening.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

Another poor result at home to very poor opposition. Luton were an embarrassment today. Time wasting from 18 minutes in. It was pathetic. I know people will say it’s game management but I pay to watch football and be entertained not watch a clock run down from the first whistle.

we pass it round nicely and it all looks very good but whatever Tony’s plan is its completely ineffective when we get into the final third. We’ve defended well recently but if that reverts to type (as I fully expect it to) we are going to really struggle to pick up points.

travis was immense today. Took his goal well, held the ball up well and his tackling and passing superb, almost a faultless performance. We have a real gem on our hands in him. His partner Johnson, was the worst player on the field and should have been subbed at half time with Gallagher not far behind. Gallagher, for all his hard work without the ball offered us absolutely nothing when we had it and graham looked a mile better when he came on. He also needs to stay onside because his timing of runs is very poor

Whatever the tactics are we simply are not getting the best out of dack and it’s no coincidence since his form dropped off so did the goals and chances. When graham came on you could see the chemistry they have and until Tony finds an answer graham has to start imo.

i thought lenihan and Williams distribution from the back was excellent, particularly lenihan and Bennett also had a very good game.

armstrong was as ineffective as Tony’s half time team talk and Samuel offered absolutely nothing new to what we already had on.

luton were a very poor side there for the taking. We have some good players but it just isn’t clicking or working and something radical needs to be done with the tactics, system, formation, line up because unless it changes it’s going to be one step forward and two back until something gives.

really annoyed and frustrated with the whole game and to top it off rovers let me down for just short of five hundred quid on a coupon .

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 5