BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Luton Town home

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I’m well aware of that but the fact he didn’t move from the line indicated that he wasn’t sure if there was an offside or not, if the ref confirmed Dack wasn’t involved then it wasn’t offside.

Good officiating for me 

It was textbook officiating Tom. Had it been the other way round I think there may have been some different views.

Significantly there hasn't been any complaint from Mowbray.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You have said you like Hughton to replace Mowbray(not on this site). Clearly didnt see them last season. 

Brighton were struggling in the Championship when he was appointed, he kept them up that season then finished 3rd, then got promoted, then they survived two seasons in the Premier League (the first comfortably) and an FA cup semi final too.

I’d kill for someone to come in at Rovers and have an impact like that, regardless of the style of play - which I doubt would be worse than what we’re currently seeing, and that’s at a level below where Hughton was.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Screenshot_20190929-182038_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190929-182022_Chrome.jpg

Youre trying to prove a point but all youre doing is showing stats that argue against your own point. Look at the important facts shooting accuracy and crossing accuracy well below the opposition and all in all pitiful.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, frosty said:

Brighton were struggling in the Championship when he was appointed, he kept them up that season then finished 3rd, then got promoted, then they survived two seasons in the Premier League (the first comfortably) and an FA cup semi final too.

I’d kill for someone to come in at Rovers and have an impact like that, regardless of the style of play - which I doubt would be worse than what we’re currently seeing, and that’s at a level below where Hughton was.

I am very aware of Hughton career and the jobs he had at Newcastle, Birmingham, Norwich and Brighton. Plus the way he has played at each club. I also stated that I think he is worst manager when he doesn't have Colin Calderwood with him as his number 2. 

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

why would be happy with Hughton? 

I think he would be awful choice thinking of his last 2 years at Brighton where he bought rubbish and played negative football

Chaddy managers, just like players have their levels. Mowbray is a lower championship manager at his best (not much to prove otherwise). Hughton is championship winning manager, and lower premiership at his best. Think about that, and then think which one is more likely to achieve promotion.

Edited by AAK
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The only stat that means anything is that one in the blue band with the club crests on either side.

Yep, but the Luton crossing, cross accuracy, shots on target and goal stats are quite interesting.

• Like 1

• J*B unpinned this topic

I believe that Mowbray's strategy for the Luton game amounted to trying to blow them away, thinking that this team could get ahead early doors and that they would crumble as a weak newly promoted side. 

When our early pressure failed to deliver a goal and then they went down the other end and scored with their first attempt the manager and players ran out of ideas.

For me a very naive and limited approach to take. I don't feel we are ever really in control of games or have a clear plan as to what we are doing. Far from being impressed by Mowbray's talk about rotating players this actually fills me with dread as I don't think he has a first choice XI or system that works best that he will stick to. You compare to a Dyche or Wilder who have a set way of playing and recruit accordingly I think Mowbray is way off. Sometimes it will work but sometimes it is very frustrating and sees us as a very inefficient side. Loads of possession and very little to show for it.

• Like 4

Just now, JHRover said:

I believe that Mowbray's strategy for the Luton game amounted to trying to blow them away, thinking that this team could get ahead early doors and that they would crumble as a weak newly promoted side. 

When our early pressure failed to deliver a goal and then they went down the other end and scored with their first attempt the manager and players ran out of ideas.

For me a very naive and limited approach to take. I don't feel we are ever really in control of games or have a clear plan as to what we are doing. Far from being impressed by Mowbray's talk about rotating players this actually fills me with dread as I don't think he has a first choice XI or system that works best that he will stick to. You compare to a Dyche or Wilder who have a set way of playing and recruit accordingly I think Mowbray is way off. Sometimes it will work but sometimes it is very frustrating and sees us as a very inefficient side. Loads of possession and very little to show for it.

Yeah, I could tell you now which 11 the dingles will field next Saturday and how they'll play. I really hate to keep bringing them up as an example  but as my mum says - " What can't speak can't lie ". For too long they've over achieved with the players they have and we've under achieved. 

We still have no real idea as to our best way of playing and 11 that will play it

• Like 1

Tony Mowbray felt a failure to register more than two shots on target, and conceding from a set piece, were big disappointments from the defeat to Luton.

However, the boss felt the performance on a whole, if replicated, would win Rovers more games than they lose as they seek a response against Nottingham Forest.

Rovers had 17 shots on goal, but Lewis Travis' goal, and a second half Danny Graham shot, were the only two that managed to hit the target.

So he basically thinks that the performance was good. Nobody on here seems to agree.

And he seems to have finally picked up on the glaring stat that we are only getting 1 or 2 shots on target each game.

Armstrong 0, Gallagher 0, Graham 1 (after 3 minutes on the pitch).

A few more games and the penny might drop that Graham is our best striker and needs to be on the pitch.

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Tony Mowbray felt a failure to register more than two shots on target, and conceding from a set piece, were big disappointments from the defeat to Luton.

However, the boss felt the performance on a whole, if replicated, would win Rovers more games than they lose as they seek a response against Nottingham Forest.

Rovers had 17 shots on goal, but Lewis Travis' goal, and a second half Danny Graham shot, were the only two that managed to hit the target.

So he basically thinks that the performance was good. Nobody on here seems to agree.

And he seems to have finally picked up on the glaring stat that we are only getting 1 or 2 shots on target each game.

Armstrong 0, Gallagher 0, Graham 1 (after 3 minutes on the pitch).

A few more games and the penny might drop that Graham is our best striker and needs to be on the pitch.

Very very worrying.

He cannot be happy with that performance. He certainly didn’t look happy judging by the number of times he had his head in his hands on the touchline.

First 15 minutes and last 10. That aside we were outplayed.

By Luton. At home.

On 29/09/2019 at 13:54, MarkBRFC said:

When you say Hughton plays negative/boring football, what brand do you think Mowbrays is? Hardly scintillating is it.

It's just a load of slow, mundane passing until either Lenihan lumps it out of play or until Bennett plays a horrible overhit cross.

That is how it looks to me too.  I found it infuriating on Saturday. 

• Backroom

Our style of play has rarely been good on the eye under Mowbray. Functional is the best way you could describe it. Flashes of decent play at times, but most of the time attritional football which generally meets expectations over the course of a season but never exceeds them. 

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Very very worrying.

He cannot be happy with that performance. He certainly didn’t look happy judging by the number of times he had his head in his hands on the touchline.

First 15 minutes and last 10. That aside we were outplayed.

By Luton. At home.

Are we in the territory of they can't do what he wants them to do i wonder ?

Zipping it around on the training ground and square pegs looking comfortable in round holes then on Ewood faced with real opposition applying their own tactics it's a case of stage fright and we get the nervous sideways tip tap stuff ?

Either way a lot of it is down to him if that's the case as by now he really should know how to get the best out of what he has and in what formation and tactics they are most effective.

36 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Are we in the territory of they can't do what he wants them to do i wonder ?

Zipping it around on the training ground and square pegs looking comfortable in round holes then on Ewood faced with real opposition applying their own tactics it's a case of stage fright and we get the nervous sideways tip tap stuff ?

Either way a lot of it is down to him if that's the case as by now he really should know how to get the best out of what he has and in what formation and tactics they are most effective.

That's were your leaders on the pitch come in. They take responsibility when things aren't going right. " Give me the bloody ball. I'll sort this lot out  ! " That's what you want to hear, not players playing each other in to trouble because the won't take responsibility.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's were your leaders on the pitch come in. They take responsibility when things aren't going right. " Give me the bloody ball. I'll sort this lot out  ! " That's what you want to hear, not players playing each other in to trouble because the won't take responsibility.

Holtby shown signs of that as did Johnson at first, lets see how long it takes to drum it out of him.  Don't give and go son give and stay !

Just got back from Bikes, Bkues, BBQ in Arkansas I did get to watch the game.  Typical Rovers.  Starting ro build momentum then lose to a team we.really.should be beating.  Thought we were.better team but for all our possession we don't seem to be creating much.  Both goals from.clear uncontested headers, will we ever learn.