BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Nottingham Forest Home

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Good performance? Was you not bored shitless in that first half? Did we really create many clear cut chances? Would you agree that the starting 11 was wrong? 

You mention that youd play Travis, Downing, Armstrong, Dack and Rothwell and a striker. Which striker baring in mind Gallaghers continued ghastly displays? Holtby has to play for me.

With Graham seemingly on the decline and Gallagher and Samuel well below the standard needed, id go Holtby, Dack and Rothwell behind Armstrong on Saturday.

I posted I thought it was good performance. I wasn't have posted it I didn't feel it was. No I wasn't bored shitless in the 1st half. 

I asked where does Holtby play? I think about Saturday game at QPR closer to the time. Not now. 

We don't play to Gallagher strengths or created chances for him. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Strong performance that lacked the final touches.  21 attempts, only 6 on target, not the nicest statistic for our point of view.  Need to mix up the XI for our next outing, Rothwell and Holtby must be shoe ins to start.  Coulda, shoulda, woulda...  buy we didnt.  Would you have taken a point before kick off?  Probably.  Lets move onwards.

• Like 1

I love all this let's take the positives, good performance etc etc. It's great to see how we all deal with failure. We 'play' well and don't win, we'll be OK yada yada.

If you play well and cannot take the 3 points off teams pushing for the top 6, then most likely you are not good enough to be in the top 6.

We quite clearly need a goalscorer, which given our spending is a travesty. 

I'd also be looking at our mentality given we flopped against Luton and conceded so swiftly after scoring. We need better focus and to stop letting results affect our mental approach. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We don't play to Gallagher strengths or created chances for him. 

So what are these strengths? I'm genuinely want to know because I can't see anything that warrents his inclusion in the team.

Played out wide he wins headers and flicks to noone in particular, provides cover for Bennett and err thats about it.

When he plays down the middle he has the ability to vanish and hide.

Against Luton he created himself a chance and choose not to shoot. Last night his only telling contribution was to win a tackle in the right back position. 

If he wants to play down the middle he has to show and not hide behind central defenders like Ashley Ward used to do. If he is going through a barren spell he still has to keep showing and take a shot. If he never tries he'll never find the net.

At present he is doing none of these things so has very little contribution to the team

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Was anyone happy take a draw against the top team before the match?

If we’d have beaten Luton then yes. 4 points from 6 is better than a measly 1.

However, as we see time and time again, we need to get the result that is on offer during the match, not the one that we think we might before the game.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Good performance? Was you not bored shitless in that first half? Did we really create many clear cut chances? Would you agree that the starting 11 was wrong? 

You mention that youd play Travis, Downing, Armstrong, Dack and Rothwell and a striker. Which striker baring in mind Gallaghers continued ghastly displays? Holtby has to play for me.

With Graham seemingly on the decline and Gallagher and Samuel well below the standard needed, id go Holtby, Dack and Rothwell behind Armstrong on Saturday.

Well it's all about opinions but we absolutely dominated the game in terms of possession and attempts at goal. Most threatening player on the pitch by miles was Armstrong. I am sure the Forest fans will be thinking they wished they had him in their squad. Their goal apart our defence looked very solid 

However equally our finishing was poor. Graham and Gallagher contributed nothing. If we had someone who could show the sort of form Gestede did 5 years ago we would be in a very good place.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

So what are these strengths? I'm genuinely want to know because I can't see anything that warrents his inclusion in the team.

Played out wide he wins headers and flicks to noone in particular, provides cover for Bennett and err thats about it.

When he plays down the middle he has the ability to vanish and hide.

Against Luton he created himself a chance and choose not to shoot. Last night his only telling contribution was to win a tackle in the right back position. 

If he wants to play down the middle he has to show and not hide behind central defenders like Ashley Ward used to do. If he is going through a barren spell he still has to keep showing and take a shot. If he never tries he'll never find the net.

At present he is doing none of these things so has very little contribution to the team

Well we seen the impact he had last time. Did you seen that season? 

Gallagher wants the ball to feet and run on to. 

When he wons the flicks ons no one is close to him. 

As a team he had about 4 proper chances this season. 

Playing long balls to him isnt his game 

Edited by chaddyrovers

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Another thing: we really need new supporter ‘anthems’. Are there really no creative minds left any more?

As soon as we scored we had the ridiculous Burnley songs, straight out of the BBE mouths. As soon as we conceded - while still chanting about Burnley - even more Burnley-hating songs. 

We are absolutely obsessed - it’s embarrassing. Then the same folk say “back the lads”. I get that you want to generate some noise/passion but surely we can sing about Rovers and not that lot?

Agreed.

And “Aberdeen at home” doesn’t really work when they had trips to Istanbul and Athens in the following rounds.

4 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Was anyone happy take a draw against the top team before the match?

No. I'll never take a draw at home before the game. Forest aren't 'the top team' either. Better than average but we will need to finish above them if we want the play-offs. 

• Like 1

The morning after....

If the forest that battered Stoke would have turned up to play they would have hammered us, thing is it was a stifled performance from both teams, midfield cluttered and little by way of creative football in the first half. I think it was both teams not willing to give and not willing to concede. Rovers for me in the first 45 played too many passes to get the ball to feet, yes sometimes it looks pretty but others it is so frustrating. I do not think Rovers play well with the 4 at the back, for me it has to be 3 5 1 1. I feel for Gally, he wins a header and there is no one there to benefit, there is very little support in the supply line to him because as we saw, if Rovers do go direct we score !

Second 45 was better however how many time do we need to learn that by backing off we concede and what irked more was that it the cheat that is Lolley that again benefitted a Forest steal of a point at Ewood. I have to say that I though Walton went down like a sack of spuds and I haven't seen it on the reply yet.

I felt we did enough to win the game the half chances that came and went didn't go for us. I think its 5 points lost for us over the last 2 games.

• Moderation Lead

Frustrating result last night.

For all his criticism (including some from me), Bennett made some great blocks last night.

Armstrong actually played well and looked dangerous all game. Got a bit lucky with his goal, but he was in the right position at least.

Thought Graham wasn't great, maybe a bit of ring rust.

Dack, bar the pass for the goal was quite poor.

Travis gave the ball away more often than usual, bit concerned that he seemed to be looking sideways more than usual last night, instead of getting his head up.

Still not sure what Gallagher is bringing to the party, but at the very least, he needs to not be out wide. 

Rothwell and Holtby need to be starting every game, no matter what.

• Like 6

If there's one constant under Mowbray's management it is slow, boring, dull and low scoring first 45-60 minutes at home before the handbrake gets taken off in the last 20 minutes. Last night no different. Turgid stuff for the first hour or so and then some decent play and pressure in the last 15 minutes but ultimately not enough to get the win. 

1 point from 6 at home this week is very disappointing and for me further evidence that at best we are going to be a mid table side. After the Luton display a win was needed. I still don't think Mowbray has a preferred XI or system to use. 

On to QPR- another team we should be finishing above if the play offs are a serious aim but another one that no doubt lots will be happy with a draw from. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stuart said:

If we’d have beaten Luton then yes. 4 points from 6 is better than a measly 1.

However, as we see time and time again, we need to get the result that is on offer during the match, not the one that we think we might before the game.

Mowbray set the target of 12 points from the next 6 games. Personally I thought the target should be 15.

He is 7 from 4. Arguably better than the initial 7 from the first 6.

Need to beat both QPR and Huddersfield or I presume he will accept failure.

Edited by OldEwoodBlue

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I dont get where people thought the 1st half/60 mins were boring and turgid at all. 

But football is all about opinions tho

Have to agree on this. While we lacked a cutting edge the quality on show is miles better than any point for years. Our passing was really slick. But I enjoy watching good passing and possession football.

• Like 1

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Have to agree on this. While we lacked a cutting edge the quality on show is miles better than any point for years. Our passing was really slick. But I enjoy watching good passing and possession football.

It is about opinions. I thought our passing was slow and pedestrian, the whole team is slow and we cannot hope to progress with this bunch

Better all round two evenly matched teams grinding each other out first half but Rovers stepped up a bit second half.  Never ceases to amaze how we can do that against the better sides but often not the bread and butter in between, where was that urgency on Saturday ???

Armstrong did well after his recent non performances maybe someone has had a word or maybe it's just him being him, when he's up for it he's a decent member of the squad but when not looks very dispensable.

Good point in the end but i still don't get nor like this managers tactics and formations in attack or his obsession with strikers wide and in particular his fondness for Samuel.  Said it loads before Mowbray is a long ball pragmatic manager dressed in fancy clothes i wish he'd just bite the bullet and sign players to play that way and make us hard to beat ugly bully boys or get them playing some more urgent dynamic stuff from the start and sign some pace up front because this caught in two minds act holds back the decent squad he's put together.

Having said all that it's a tough old league but that bit of savvy is what can separate very evenly matched squads and there is a lot of those in the champ.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1