BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2 hours ago, DE. said:

Most of us with any foresight spoke about that being a problem. Our backline is held together by duct tape. 

Aye. Lenihan always has an injury in him. Which leaves us with Tosin and Williams - guys who have never played together. Also, a youngster who has never played CB at this level and the other who has only just transitioned to be a centre half (and that’s being kind to Del after yesterday). As you say, many of us called this and it’s going to bite Tony on the arse big time. Don’t worry though, defenders are coming.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Not much point in reiterating just how terrible Rovers are. But one random thing I would question from yesterday not about the game per se is the warm up. How many times are blackburn pretty average in the first half?! Other teams certainly seem to have more vigorous warm ups. Seems quite short and lethargic. Just an observation.

I found myself amused seeing Gallagher and Samuels halftime warm-up, of half heartedly punting the ball to each-other, knowing that they weren’t coming on.

57 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

To pass forward we need the forward players to move but too many players are too static. To have a successful passing game the players have to pass and move not pass and stand still. No one wants a return pass. No forward makes a forward run because when they do they never get the ball in front of them.

Our movement off the ball is terrible. Every player on the ball should always have three options available, a short pass, a medium distance pass and a long pass. Players off the ball should be on the move to make this possible. Every game I see Rovers play most of the time we're taking the ball stood still.  

• Like 3

The way we play with the slow build up allows  teams to press us high hope the pitch . In this league you need a strong back four a pressing midfield  with wingers who can beat a man and strickers with good movement  and the a lest one who can hold the ball up and keeper who control  his box

6 hours ago, philipl said:

As a Rovers supporter I guess I am used to the periodic bad performance like Charlton or Luton at home.

But far less frequently a game comes along so stratospherically bad that it literally leaves me numb.

Yesterday was one of those once in five years or so events.

The opposition so ordinary yet we got a thrashing with our two consolation goals the barest of fig leaves. In fact they almost mock us as the scoreline easily could, indeed should, have been 5-0 to QPR or perhaps more.

The limitations of our defenders horribly exposed.

Graham sadly past it.

Midfield players we had high hopes of paper tigers.

Mowbray powers of organisation and motivation as evident as a ... Sorry no metaphor possible- on yesterday's evidence they don't exist and his ability to react to things going wrong mid match is non-existent also.

All fondly cherished hopes and beliefs get crushed by a performance that bad. As Warren Lucy said no player emerged with any pride.

You look for redeeming features or hope for the future from that game and see none. 

I think plenty of good points in here that show there is no real collective desire around that squad or the club as a whole to have a go at finishing as high as possible this season despite the contradictory double eskimo rubbish spouted by the manager.  You have to have a go every game and try and be on point all the time and that takes drive, desire and determination not just switching on and off according to opposition.  We approach every game with what looks like trepidation not hunger.

Everything just points to another plod along in the comfort zone, they don't want to lose but when they do it's no big deal just a shoulder shrug and the attitude 'we hope we can do better' next week. 

Yet again a lot of it for me comes from not having proper ownership or club directors who have it in their hearts and who are there close to the action and whilst not exactly meddling but might ask questions on a Monday morning why things are going the way they are after seeing what they see.  Far too easy down there to keep glossing things over whilst everybody is on a decent screw.

Not the realms of the Shagnew / Shebby, Kean / Anderson stitch ups but still a too cosy little number where they'll only have to go and explain themselves in a summer jolly up to Pune long after another season is wasted. 

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

On 04/10/2019 at 16:12, Mercer said:

It is.

A remark that stood out for me  "Mark has gone in there and given them an identity".

Well Mowbray's been here almost three years and I  haven't a clue what our identity is!!!

Think QPR are still a flaky, soft touch and with the players at our disposal, we should be going there and winning comfortably and I am very confident we will despite, IMO, our dinosaur of a manager.

At 11/5 for a Rovers' win, it's time to fill your boots.

Thanks very much old chap.

More money in my holiday fund thanks to another contrarian bet on your rubbish tips.

Look forward to the next one. 

43 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Our movement off the ball is terrible. Every player on the ball should always have three options available, a short pass, a medium distance pass and a long pass. Players off the ball should be on the move to make this possible. Every game I see Rovers play most of the time we're taking the ball stood still.  

Yep it’s abysmal, Dack being one of the main culprits I’m afraid.

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

Yep it’s abysmal, Dack being one of the main culprits I’m afraid.

Disagree slightly in the fact he does go looking for the ball. I think sometimes I think he thinks taht he has to do everything so drops way too deep. On Tuesday night he dropped so deep at one stage he received a one yard pass off Williams.

Our opponents love this because he can't hurt them so deep.

Edited by dingles staying down 4ever
  • Like 1

Just watched the highlights over and over on Sky.

OK yes the defending was poor each time the ball came into the box but all 4 goals came from our right side of midfield. In fact 3 goals were very similar in the build up play with weak as piss challenges in midfield and no urgency to close down the ball.

First goal.

Look at Armstrong daydreaming in no mans land and then his half arsed attitude to running back.

Fuck knows where Bennett thinks he is. Miles away from play. Look at him walking after the ball goes over him to the back post.

Second goal.

Someone at the time said "knife through butter". Accurate but Bennett was the most forward player totally out of position and the game.

Challenge from Williams was like a girl but look at Bell's attitude at the back post just walking towards the ball.

Third goal.

A repeat of the second goal. Lenihan then stands the ball up well but Williams and Bell absolutely no urgency to get close and win the ball. Bell walking.

Fourth goal.

Another repeat. This time I think it was Rothwell weak as piss challenge but then his attitude to running back to make another challenge is none existent.

Again Bennett way up the pitch completely out the game.

Again look at Bell walking at the back stick.

Was a sympathetic penalty but probably just about correct.

Was a pathetic display.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Just watched the highlights over and over on Sky.

OK yes the defending was poor each time the ball came into the box but all 4 goals came from our right side of midfield. In fact 3 goals were very similar in the build up play with weak as piss challenges in midfield and no urgency to close down the ball.

First goal.

Look at Armstrong daydreaming in no mans land and then his half arsed attitude to running back.

Fuck knows where Bennett thinks he is. Miles away from play. Look at him walking after the ball goes over him to the back post.

Second goal.

Someone at the time said "knife through butter". Accurate but Bennett was the most forward player totally out of position and the game.

Challenge from Williams was like a girl but look at Bell's attitude at the back post just walking towards the ball.

Third goal.

A repeat of the second goal. Lenihan then stands the ball up well but Williams and Bell absolutely no urgency to get close and win the ball. Bell walking.

Fourth goal.

Another repeat. This time I think it was Rothwell weak as piss challenge but then his attitude to running back to make another challenge is none existent.

Again Bennett way up the pitch completely out the game.

Again look at Bell walking at the back stick.

Was a sympathetic penalty but probably just about correct.

Was a pathetic display.

It looked to me like they were playing to get the manager fired and his post match interview suggests he was thinking along the same lines as me. My Rugby League team used to play like that occasionally and you'd find out later that they hadn't been paid for a game or two. 

Most troubling thing is that QPR are a bang-average Championship side who managed to bang four past us without breaking a sweat. Not the first time we've capitulated like that. We also seem to end up on the backfoot as soon as we score one. Yesterday we pulled one back but instead of gaining the ascendancy we immediately let QPR restore their lead.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't know about that but I thought Dack got a bit lucky with the actual shot. Not the greatest penalty I've ever seen

Agreed although he had given the keeper the eyes and he was going the wrong way before the penalty was struck.

The foul contact was in the D but momentum of both players took them to ground well inside the area.

Shocking performance from start to finish — no effort whatsoever, it truly felt like watching a friendly match of some sort, QPR weren’t magnificent either but then again they didn’t really need to go the extra mile to beat us hence fair play to them for making the most of the few chances they had. Only highlight of a rather depressing day was an enjoyable drinking session with a group of QPR fans before and after the game and chatting to a few Rovers fans at Kings’ Cross.

G

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, philipl said:

Agreed although he had given the keeper the eyes and he was going the wrong way before the penalty was struck.

The foul contact was in the D but momentum of both players took them to ground well inside the area.

Yeah, sometimes you get a pen and sometimes you a free kick on the edge of the box. It's what I call a " Home Team " pen, maybe the ref was feeling sorry for us 

it's time the manager and players  know how disgusted we are by their piss poor attitude and application. 

There's not a whimper of discontent where I am in the BBE. 

Edited by barry_

If we did go to a back three I would like to see Holtby, Travis and Johnson running the midfield. Tosin and Nyambe at least have some pace about them to get back on side - albeit can't see Williams being dropped. Not least without Cunningham being on the pitch anyway.

oxHvOSk.png

Echoing AAK below, I don't think we have the backbone for it, though.

I was dreaming of Armstrong / Dack / Rothwell / Holtby on the pitch together making things happen. Got a whole half of it yesterday. We were utter shit. We don't have an identity. Our players have no ideas what they're doing one week to the next. The manager says he doesn't care about formations and systems yet goes on about lining up differently depending on the opposition week in week out.

It's all just a depressing confusing mess. But we're supposed to believe the team turn up beleving they can win every game? Give over.

Edited by CD_93

1 hour ago, CD_93 said:

If we did go to a back three I would like to see Holtby, Travis and Johnson running the midfield. Tosin and Nyambe at least have some pace about them to get back on side - albeit can't see Williams being dropped. Not least without Cunningham being on the pitch anyway.

oxHvOSk.png

Echoing AAK below, I don't think we have the backbone for it, though.

I was dreaming of Armstrong / Dack / Rothwell / Holtby on the pitch together making things happen. Got a whole half of it yesterday. We were utter shit. We don't have an identity. Our players have no ideas what they're doing one week to the next. The manager says he doesn't care about formations and systems yet goes on about lining up differently depending on the opposition week in week out.

It's all just a depressing confusing mess. But we're supposed to believe the team turn up beleving they can win every game? Give over.

Genuinely think that team is mental. I’ve seen pep try some formation like that before but there’s nobody on the left hand side! 

• Like 1