BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Character (or lack of)

5 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Can't argue with the gist of your post TS but by all accounts big Al was anything but quiet on the field (as well as leading by example).

I get your point - all smart players want to give the ref a bit if advice when they can. If you can referee it as well,  that's better still. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Some absolutely abysmal stats in there.

Real traits of a team with a losing mentality. 

The fact that if we concede a goal at home basically means we aren't winning is unbelievable.

Is our mentality that frail that conceding a goal knocks us so much its unrecoverable? Alarming.

Fair to say, we aren't achieving anything with these players or this management.

• Like 5

Great post Crimpshine sums it up perfectly, forget all the soundbites about top 6, play offs, finishing 7th etc i think it's a given if we finish in the same position or slightly better it'll be spun on its head as we needed to consolidate etc.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing but when they are putting prices up the moaning about lack of crowds increasing and terrible atmosphere it's a bit rich when all the signs are 'we'll just plod on win a few lose a few and see where it takes us come May'.

Fans aren't daft, players and manger all need to be switched on every single game and have a collective desire to aim as high as possible.

I called for a bit of a shit or bust mentality from them, not the investors in terms of spending but the efforts on the pitch.  We should have more than enough to not go down even if we go all out for wins and don't get them.  There's nothing to lose by having a right good go to win every game and if we still end up midtable so be it.

Think we should try and maximise what's at the disposal whilst we have it.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I think 'character' shows when players are really under pressure.

The problem at Rovers is that everything is too comfortable and cosy. Mowbray has a nice long contract and the CEO is his mate and will never suggest changing the manager.

There is no pressure from the owners to do anything other than plod on and meet up once a year for a chat.

Many of the players are automatic choices and under no real pressure. 

There is no board / chairman behind the scenes reminding players ( or manager ) how privileged they are to be representing our club / town. 

Atmosphere during matches at Ewood is dead. Many fans grudgingly accept the current situation - 'we are where we are'

The club is 'going through the motions' and has no momentum or impetus. Look at Clubs like Sheff Utd with a local co-owner and manager who really care about the club. Look at Burnley and how they over achieve because they have a proper board and a manager who do all the right things and create a feeling of pride about the club.

I am not suggesting Mowbray or the players are not trying or that they don't want to do their best but the set up at Ewood these days is just not character building. We have some decent players but there's no real fight there.

Venky's may have put plenty of money into the club but they've taken away all the passion.   

10/10. Exactly how I feel. Nobody at the club is busting a gut to win games. When did we last out enthuse a good opposing team ? I mentioned it before but listening to Mowbray after last weekends game it sounded like he'd just discovered a hole in his sock not that we'd just blown a great chance to get into the play off zone.

• Like 5

• Moderation Lead

Does anyone reckon there is any danger of our lads showing any character at some point?

I hope they do. 

Actually, who am I kidding? It’s about as likely as the manager picking the right players. 

• Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

Does anyone reckon there is any danger of our lads showing any character at some point?

I hope they do. 

Actually, who am I kidding? It’s about as likely as the manager picking the right players. 

Social media manager, Benno, will be showing us all some on Twitter tonight. Mowbray wants dragging over hot coals for our record when falling behind. Following football is all about the unknown - not with our boys.

Said it earlier in the match thread before HT. These players are gutless, not once this season has looked like they’re busting a gut for us the fans, the club, or for there wages. Some have some real quality and are playing with in themselves or just not for the club/manager. They’re certainly not upholding any attitude to win or an attitude to improve as footballers because to us the fans we can see the attitude isn’t there from some, they don’t give a rats. Bar Dack TM has not improved one player and that rams home my second point.

Too many of this team are coasting through games hoping a Dack bit of magic pulls them through, well it won’t every week and Luton, Charlton and today epitomise the points I’m making here. Too many on easy street not willing to put the yards in and more interested in being everybody’s mate and to be fucking honest it’s unforgivable not just at a football club where it’s a basic thing (graft) to do without getting applauded but in any job in the country! This spineless bunch of wallopers owe the fans. 

There hasn’t been a game this year they’ve looked competent or convincing they’re stealing a living at the moment and quite frankly I hope the bus breaks down at a service station so they can see the shit we have to put up with watching them presently because it’s bloody painful.

Too many I suspect will be planning there beers and pandering to the social media faithful of fans they have. Though some of these want booing before the bloody game when they walk out next at Ewood.

Tossers

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Social media manager, Benno, will be showing us all some on Twitter tonight. Mowbray wants dragging over hot coals for our record when falling behind. Following football is all about the unknown - not with our boys.

I really hope he stays off social media tonight.

Making him captain was a huge mistake if he wasn’t first choice in midfield. A right back he isn’t.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Another game passes where we concede first and don't win, and do absolutely nothing in 4 minutes of injury time apart from a few non descript balls to no one.

This is what winds me up too. QPR 2017 was the last time we scored a stoppage time winner was it not? Nearly 3 fecking years ago!! That has to be the current English football league record, and most certainly isn’t just poor luck. Tony quite blatantly settles for draws - you see it in his subs, you see it in Walton pissing about with his goal kicks. It’s not like we ever have a decent chance at the death in matches that we’re ‘looking to win’ either, let alone actually score. Mowbray needs some serious interrogation over this but alas the likes of the LET wouldn’t even think to bring it up with him.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

This is what winds me up too. QPR 2017 was the last time we scored a stoppage time winner was it not? Nearly 3 fecking years ago!! That has to be the current English football league record, and most certainly isn’t just poor luck. Tony quite blatantly settles for draws - you see it in his subs, you see it in Walton pissing about with his goal kicks. It’s not like we ever have a decent chance at the death in matches that we’re ‘looking to win’ either, let alone actually score. Mowbray needs some serious interrogation over this but alas the likes of the LET wouldn’t even think to bring it up with him.

Mentally strong teams score at the death. Mentally weak teams concede at the death.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

It’s not like we ever have a decent chance at the death in matches that we’re ‘looking to win’ either, let alone actually score. 

It's pretty much always the other way around, with the opposing team taking the game to us, regardless of whether we're home or away. Even yesterday Huddersfield came close to getting a third towards the end. I'm sick of the spineless nature of our club. I want a team who go out there and try to impose themselves from first minute to last, who have the ambition to be winners and make the opponents worry about us rather than the other way around. Our team is 100% a reflection of the manager. Cautious, cowardly, weak and timid. With the talent we have at our disposal across the field (defence aside) we should not be defined by such negative attributes. 

• Like 3

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Physically weak too

They go together. If you're mentally strong with good self belief in yourself as a player and as a team you keep going even when you are tiring. " Fergie Time " worked because his players knew they were never out of the game when behind and you can win games in time added on if you keep a cool head.

• Like 2

On the pitch there is no leader, Bennett is NOT nor will ever be a good leader on the park.

We urgently need a player who will shout, coral, badger and berate and set standards for others to follow.

This team needs purging, Bennett needs removing asap as a starter for 10. His lack of leadership affects players like Travis who has retracted into a shell in recent games instead of the flying all star performer he appeared to be at the start of the season.

• Like 2