BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Character (or lack of)

On 26/10/2019 at 22:01, Waggy76 said:

It all went wrong January 19 , we had a chance to build from a position of reasonable strength !!!

We did nothing , Summer the same , like you say , friendly agent Steele clone...

Walton is at least 4th choice at Brighton , come on he ain't going to be any good is he ???

City lad not what , we required ...2 bloody rough centre backs who can defend ....

Keeley and Faz.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

I was gutted leaving Deepdale on Saturday but, as I only go to 1 or 2 away games a season, at least I don't have to put up with that kind of spineless stuff on a more regular basis.

However I feel sorry for those that do. Since we returned to the Championship we have:-

Led at Ipswich on the opening day only to concede in the last minute.

Led at Bristol City only to put in a second half no-show and lose 4-1

Been 3-0 up at Stoke and tried to throw that away.

1-0 up at Swansea and put in a second half no-show to lose 3-1

A shocker at Preston away last year.

A further shocker at Wigan 4 days later.

Been 1-0 up against Middlesboro who had 10 men and still didn't win.

The farce at Leeds where we took the lead in injury time only to lose 3-2

2-0 up at Brentford only to lose 5-2

Dominate the game at Reading. Manage to get an equaliser with 8 minutes left and then conceded immediately.

Get our noses in front at St Andrews with 7 minutes left and then concede immediately.

1-0 up in the first minute at West Brom only to be 3-1 down before half time.

2-0 up at Preston only for a second half no-show and to lose 3-2.

Sorry but it's not normal for a football club for that to all happen in away games in less than 15 months. I've not mentioned the Borunemeouth away game in the league cup or the Birmingham home game which saw similar outcomes. Spineless.

And yet people seem to think he's done/is doing a good job.

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

I was gutted leaving Deepdale on Saturday but, as I only go to 1 or 2 away games a season, at least I don't have to put up with that kind of spineless stuff on a more regular basis.

However I feel sorry for those that do. Since we returned to the Championship we have:-

Dominate the game at Reading. Manage to get an equaliser with 8 minutes left and then conceded immediately.

Get our noses in front at St Andrews with 7 minutes left and then concede immediately.

Sorry but it's not normal for a football club for that to all happen in away games in less than 15 months. I've not mentioned the Borunemeouth away game in the league cup or the Birmingham home game which saw similar outcomes. Spineless.

Mind boggling that Tone plied his trade as  a centre-half.

I'd forgotten about that debacle at Leeds until I read that.

• Like 1

no doubt mowbray is a decent fellow,thats the problem,can you imagine souness,hughes,big sam,kenny,saxton,mackay etc putting up with a defence that can`t literally defend,they`de all be on their way to the reserves or the transfer list,on saturday the donkey stockley would`nt  have got a look in against a proper centre back

“I would say most of the technical, creative footballers don’t have those leadership qualities because they are more ‘go with the flow’ with their nature, happy-go-lucky, fun-loving.

“We have a few people who lead. And that’s the balance.

“When I talk about recruitment It’s one of the things we need to recruit, but it’s very difficult when you go and watch a footballer, you see his talent, how fast he is, how big and strong he is, you can assess on the pitch whether he’s a communicator or whether he’s reacting to situations.

“But it’s difficult until you sit down and meet them whether their personalities are what you want.

“Of course until you’re given permission by the club he’s playing for you’re not allowed to meet players so it’s difficult to sign players knowing 100 per cent whether you’re buying a leader and someone with character.

You get them in the building and situations arise and then the true nature of people comes out.”

A bit of today’s drivel. That last bit is interesting. Who could that be a thinly veiled dig at I wonder?

• Like 1

Just now, Miller11 said:

“I would say most of the technical, creative footballers don’t have those leadership qualities because they are more ‘go with the flow’ with their nature, happy-go-lucky, fun-loving.

“When I talk about recruitment It’s one of the things we need to recruit, but it’s very difficult when you go and watch a footballer, you see his talent, how fast he is, how big and strong he is, you can assess on the pitch whether he’s a communicator or whether he’s reacting to situations.

“But it’s difficult until you sit down and meet them whether their personalities are what you want.

“Of course until you’re given permission by the club he’s playing for you’re not allowed to meet players so it’s difficult to sign players knowing 100 per cent whether you’re buying a leader and someone with character.

You get them in the building and situations arise and then the true nature of people comes out.”

A bit of today’s drivel. That last bit is interesting. Who could that be a thinly veiled dig at I wonder?

Johnson

• Like 1

He's been in football long enough to know who are the leaders are in the game. As far as I can see he's hardly signed a one. In my book players come in two categories - The group of players who can get you on top in a game and the other group of players who will play well once the first group have got them in a position to do so. Mowbray has signed too many that fit into the second group and not enough that fit into the first group.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He's been in football long enough to know who are the leaders are in the game. As far as I can see he's hardly signed a one. In my book players come in two categories - The group of players who can get you on top in a game and the other group of players who will play well once the first group have got them in a position to do so. Mowbray has signed too many that fit into the second group and not enough that fit into the first group.

Tyrone , I think we need more analysis booths so our scouting dept can do proper research !! 
Like you say , he should know what he’s signing .How many times do we hear managers say they looked deeply into the character of a player before signing him?

Another shooting of his own foot by Mowbray By the sounds of it .

just why does he spout this absolute crap so often ?? There’s no benefit in saying it so why say it at all ?? If it was Mourinho saying the same stuff you’d swear it was a deliberate wind up tactic . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Holtby ?

4 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Would suggest a loan or purchase he is reluctant to play. Rothwell and Tosin would be my bet. Unlikely to be Chapman as he had him in the building before. Kasey Palmer and the young lad from wba last season are other examples

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Well we've usually had leaders on the park before, the list would be almost endless. Can I suggest the problem lies with the manager who, seemingly, can't spot them.

Tbh I'd always assumed he didn't want them because they might stand up to him, but what do I know?

• Like 1

On 28/10/2019 at 13:59, Hasta said:

Great post. Clear evidence that this isn't misfortune or a rare event. Its poor management and coaching. Only one way to addess that.

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

Well we've usually had leaders on the park before, the list would be almost endless. Can I suggest the problem lies with the manager who, seemingly, can't spot them.

Tbh I'd always assumed he didn't want them because they might stand up to him, but what do I know?

It’s amazing that Mowbray can force himself out of bed in a morning.

The way he talks about it, being a football manager is just too difficult. Having to buy players, sell players, coach them, pick a team, make substitutions. :rolleyes:

As for digs about not being able to speak to players before you sign them that only applies if you are buying another club who own their registration, as opposed to the out of contract types we normally pick up - who we could easily have a chat to before committing to a contract.

Who have we paid fees for recently... Brereton, Gallagher, Armstrong. We signed Johnson on a free from D&DFC so maybe we couldn’t speak to him until he was signed. Although I thought clubs looking to sell often gave players ‘permission to speak to other clubs’.

All very bizarre.