Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

On 13/10/2019 at 19:46, Mercer said:

Next 5 games:

• Hudders - home
  • Brum - away
  • PNE - away (3rd fixture in a week)
  • Owls - home
  • Leeds - away

I would take 5 points from those games which speaks volumes as to how far expectation levels have fallen.

PNE is a funny one.  Presently, you would say it's an absolute home banker, a licence to print money.  But football is a funny old game, you just never know. 

Anything less than 5 points from those games then I think Mowbray is gone.

Told last night that if Mowbray goes in next few weeks then lump on Dave Artell to takeover.  Interesting.  Must add, not my suggestion, just what I was told.

According to Wiki, Artell has a degree in biology.

That's a better degree than the one Mowbray has (in monotony).

I'd rather take a punt on someone like Artell than end up with another dinosaur, which is the most likely outcome.

We've already missed the boat with the Cowley brothers. 

On 13/10/2019 at 19:46, Mercer said:

Next 5 games:

• Hudders - home
  • Brum - away
  • PNE - away (3rd fixture in a week)
  • Owls - home
  • Leeds - away

I would take 5 points from those games which speaks volumes as to how far expectation levels have fallen.

PNE is a funny one.  Presently, you would say it's an absolute home banker, a licence to print money.  But football is a funny old game, you just never know. 

Anything less than 5 points from those games then I think Mowbray is gone.

Told last night that if Mowbray goes in next few weeks then lump on Dave Artell to takeover.  Interesting.  Must add, not my suggestion, just what I was told.

That'd be a typical Chicken Choker appointment - somebody 95% of us have never even heard of and who wouldn't be in most peoples first 25 candidates. Nothing ever changes does it ? The only appointment they ever made that was remotely sensible was Lambert with Irvine.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, martonrover said:

According to Wiki, Artell has a degree in biology.

That's a better degree than the one Mowbray has (in monotony).

I'd rather take a punt on someone like Artell than end up with another dinosaur, which is the most likely outcome.

We've already missed the boat with the Cowley brothers. 

Mono Tony ???

Like it.

• Like 3

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That'd be a typical Chicken Choker appointment - somebody 95% of us have never even heard of and who wouldn't be in most peoples first 25 candidates. Nothing ever changes does it ? The only appointment they ever made that was remotely sensible was Lambert with Irvine.

Not saying I want him, but I disagree about it being a typical appointment. It would actually show a little imagination. Had Norwich fans ever heard of Farke? I wouldn't trust the actor Steve 'Totally Wicked' Waggott to pick his nose.

Just now, arbitro said:

Mono Tony ???

Like it.

I think it could catch on ?

Anyway, back on topic, can't be arsed getting a ticket to be humiliated.

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I’d say you are clutching at straws now mercer. Unless you reveal your source it holds no weight at all. I’ve revealed my source who says it’s categorically not true

Clutching at straws!  Don't be silly.

Any number of managers will change clubs before Christmas and I dare say the majority won't have seen the opportunity coming.

I've no agenda and know very little about Artell - simply posting what someone told me who I'd regard as a credible source.  Should Mowbray get bulleted in the next few weeks only then will we know if there is any foundation in it.  After all, I think it's fair to say Rovers have made some very strange appointments, that few saw coming, since Big Sam left.

I think Mowbray needs to go and on that I think many of us agree!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

At any one time, there must be at least a dozen or so clubs unhappy with their progress and considering their managerial options.  You are not telling me that they don't do any 'homework' as to potential replacements (formulating a list of potential replacements that would include managers both in and out of work) should they decide to pull the trigger on their existing manager.

Not sure there is anyone at our club who will be doing any homework.

Waggott will probably go if Mowbray gets potted. He's not likely to help the process along.

If Venky's do act decisively then I think the replacement will be Johnson by default (unless they get 'advice' from persons unknown - God help us!). 

Not surprising really is it, I saw a number of less than 1500 on Twitter earlier.

Rovers fans are notoriously late at buying for local fixtures so obviously expect more than that will turn up in the end, but it just shows that the apathy from the owners/management/players has finally made it all way down to the away following, which up until now has held out pretty well since our third division season.

No doubt it will turn into some Rovers fans slating our support though ?

Edited by MarkBRFC

There shouldn't really be any apathy around games like this it's ten mins up the road it's a day out and just a day to turn up and support. I'm not one for slagging our own fans but we also have a notoriously fickle bunch outside of the core support and always have had.  Wouldn't really expect us to sell it out but i'll stick to my guns and say anything less than 4k across there on a Sat aff is piss piss poor and we deserve any stick we get.  There's no excuse had we won the last two we'd be more likely selling it out again.

Hopefully there'll be a late surge there's every chance especially as people want to buy seats together and at least half going there will be non ST holders.  Another opportunity perhaps for a bit of thinking in regards to lapsed fans and those who only attend away fixtures these days ?

The apathy that might be driving fickleness is a worry though and something they should sit up and take notice of the approach this season has been like a damp squid. The manager and players need to pull their fingers out if they really want to go anywhere this season otherwise it is a big waste of that squad and everyones time. 

No one wants gung ho football but fortune favours the brave and these are the games to show your mettle !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

I think the results on Saturday & Tuesday will play a big part in how many we sell. Win both we could look to sell over 4k (even sell out). Loose both 2k plus. Anything in between you can do the maths

A friend of mine who went to get tickets for 4 of us could not because he needed all our details,  D.O.B,  address etc for each person. Of course he doesn't know that off by heart so has to try again another day. Is this a new procedure we have to go through? I've never ever had this before purchasing any rovers tickets. Abit of a p*** take it you ask me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Cracking for a few ales too.

One stop on the train from Blackburn station. 

We sold out with weeks to go last season, could easily have flogged 7k. This season it will probably be 3k (max).

As soon as our form started nosediving I could see this occurring.

There is a lot of people I know,who say that this game just doesn't interest them, me included. Just never got the buzz for this fixture and notoriously, Rovers fans will vote with their feet if they aren't happy, more than a lot of other clubs fans do.

1 hour ago, AAK said:

There is a lot of people I know,who say that this game just doesn't interest them, me included. Just never got the buzz for this fixture and notoriously, Rovers fans will vote with their feet if they aren't happy, more than a lot of other clubs fans do.

Couldn’t give a toss about them as a club,  but always a cracking day out (until 3pm anyway).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

LOL i hope that was a joke. Understand due to current results, but not turning up because of last years annihilation is total banter.

They'll be blaming the 1960 cup final next ?

For those who say Preston is no big deal that's fair enough can understand it but neither are Wigan and Bolton are far lesser in the rival stakes than Burnley but we've always had big turnouts at both for 3pm Saturdays and bog standard prices.

End of the day we are there to support our team they'll need it and we need a point or three so sleeves rolled up, heads up and chests out !!! The more that turn out the bigger statement it is to the manager and players that we expect a performance and they'll certainly know about it if there is another abject surrender.

When I read things like this I worry for the future of our club. This is a local derby and it just seems strange that there aren’t a lot more wanting to go however we are currently doing or what happened there last season.  Preston away is 1 of the best days out you could ask for and as easy to get to as you could ask for and I’m sure we will have 3,000 or so there but is that really all the interest we can muster for such a game?

• Like 3

Just now, McClarky said:

When I read things like this I worry for the future of our club. This is a local derby and it just seems strange that there aren’t a lot more wanting to go however we are currently doing or what happened there last season.  Preston away is 1 of the best days out you could ask for and as easy to get to as you could ask for and I’m sure we will have 3,000 or so there but is that really all the interest we can muster for such a game?

I think we all know what the outcome might be. Was it last season where he played dack on his own up front and we got spanked 4?

As ever this fixture will need to attract a sizeable number of the non-regulars to get a large following on. You can always bank on a regular 1000-1500 who go to numerous away games but then there's the others who in seasons gone by turn up for a day out at Preston mainly just for the day out and crack. Lot of them at Rangers for the friendly this summer too. 

A lot of those followers tend to move in packs and a snowball effect develops when people hear there are a lot going. Same in reverse if there isnt the build up or anticipation plenty wont bother. 

Last season's horror show wont have helped but nonetheless this should be by some distance the most popular away match of the season. 

Anything under 4000 is dreadful and very worrying. 

• Like 1

Indeed. 

One of the cheapest games at £24, 10 minutes on the train or simple drive, Saturday 3pm, cracking town centre for pubs, our only daytime local away this season. Ticks every box. So no excuses.

However, it is a fine example of the massive malaise that has engulfed this club the past decade, it was briefly masked by the League 1 local novelty away days at Bury, Rochdale, Oldham et al, but that has now worn off and the club is truly in a rut on and off the pitch.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Couldn’t give a toss about them as a club,  but always a cracking day out (until 3pm anyway).

Exactly. 

I don't go because its a game against Preston FC. I go because I can get dropped off in Preston in about 20 minutes, there are plenty of decent pubs and even though the locals really want to beat us they are generally friendly. It's just a good day out.

I also don't think we are the lambs to the slaughter some are making us out to be.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, McClarky said:

There needs to be something to capture the imagination.

Don’t know about you but I expect a miserable performance and defeat due to Mowbray’s likely tactics. That’s the mindset a lot of fans will have got into. Apathy.

When this was Lambert’s first game in charge - after years and years of shit-and-Venkys we had nearly 6,000 on.

I’m barely looking forward to Huddersfield. It’s lunchtime on TV so it’ll be a crap home gate too. We are getting back into the territory of attending through duty!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

We need 2 wins prior to this to take a respectable following. So yeah basically a miracle. Not saying it's right but that's how it is. I'm going but in all honesty its mainly about the day out with mates.

Exactly my thoughts and why I'm going really.

As Stuart says, huge away followings need games that capture the imagination, all the novelty of the league one games captured that imagination, likely to win, new grounds for this generation etc.

Preston away under Lambert, felt like something was happening with our first "real manager" for years.

Preston away last season, we'd had a pretty decent start to the season and the spike from promotion season was still there.

This season at Preston feels like when we went there under Coyle, think less than 3k went that day? We all know that we'll turn up, most players will be out of position, the same undroppable players will be playing, with the same bizarre tactics, we'll likely go a goal behind in 20 minutes and that will be that.

As Matty says the club is in a huge rut, on and off the field.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 3