BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2 hours ago, yankfan said:

So is winter but that didnt work for the white walkers 

Dack looks a bit like Jon Snow it's a pity he can't carry Rovers like the King of the North carried his flock !

Lets be honest it's what we all rely on after all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Same. Which makes the fact they have finished above us for the last 3 years even more irritating. 

Are you genuinely bothered by this? We're about the worst we've been in my 36 years, they're the best, and they've still achieved absolutely shit all. 

47 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Are you genuinely bothered by this? We're about the worst we've been in my 36 years, they're the best, and they've still achieved absolutely shit all. 

I think the frustrating thing about them consistently finishing above is, is how truly bang average their teams have been for the last three years. On paper, we should be finishing above them, the reason they're so high is their manager and their style of play. Put TM in charge of Preston and they'd be 15th.

Just now, JoeH said:

I think the frustrating thing about them consistently finishing above is, is how truly bang average their teams have been for the last three years. On paper, we should be finishing above them, the reason they're so high is their manager and their style of play. Put TM in charge of Preston and they'd be 15th.

Put Neil in charge of us and he’d have used the 12m much better and we’d be pushing to go up

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

Definitely dont think there is much between the squads, and certainly agree that the main difference is the quality of managers, but I think you underestimate the quality of their players. Ben Davies, Patrick Bauer, Ben Pearson, Daniel Johnson, Tom Barkhuizen, Seani Maguire, Paul Gallagher and the 2 full backs (with Cunningham injured) would all get into our side.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Definitely dont think there is much between the squads, and certainly agree that the main difference is the quality of managers, but I think you underestimate the quality of their players. Ben Davies, Patrick Bauer, Ben Pearson, Daniel Johnson, Tom Barkhuizen, Seani Maguire, Paul Gallagher and the 2 full backs (with Cunningham injured) would all get into our side.

I’m sorry but Daniel Johnson, Paul Gallagher and Tom Barkhuizen don’t get into our side. Maguire sure, and obviously Ben Pearson/Patrick Bauer. 

Could easily say Dack, Holtby and Downing would walk into most sides in this division.

its all down to the manager for me.

18 hours ago, JoeH said:

Can't argue with that. Whoever their manager is (I care so little I can't even be arsed to Google it) he's clearly getting the most out of a very average squad. Imagine what he could do with our lot...

17 hours ago, Miller11 said:

I don’t begrudge Preston their “success”. I am disgusted by what Venkys have done to us. We were light years ahead of the Dingles and North End before they rocked up in every way possible. Just highlights the damage they continue to inflict.

Couldn't agree more, I hate them and what they've done. I do however cling to the hope that football runs in cycles and that one day we'll get back to where we belong. 

Look at Cowley at Huddersfield, some people underestimate how powerful a good manager can be. For me our main issue isn't talent, on paper, minus the injuries to DL and GC, we've got a Top 10 side. We're performing at 15th-21st level (again) and that's shocking.

• Backroom

I don't think we have a single top half of the table defender in our ranks to be honest, other than Cunningham who is now done for the season. Combine that with Mowbray's style of football and it's not hard to see why we're struggling to maintain any level of consistency. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DE. said:

I don't think we have a single top half of the table defender in our ranks to be honest, other than Cunningham who is now done for the season. Combine that with Mowbray's style of football and it's not hard to see why we're struggling to maintain any level of consistency. 

Personally I think Tosin and Nyambe  are both top half defenders.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Look at Cowley at Huddersfield, some people underestimate how powerful a good manager can be. For me our main issue isn't talent, on paper, minus the injuries to DL and GC, we've got a Top 10 side. We're performing at 15th-21st level (again) and that's shocking.

I am not convinced that we do have a top 10 side at all, of course mainly the fault of the manager. Or why you describe us as performing at specifically "15th to 21st level" when we are 14th!

Firstly, we (15m plus down) dont have a competent striker aside from a 34 year old one our manager has snobbishly seemingly written off. We are totally blunt up top. Walton is a bottom 6 standard goalkeeper, and Bennett is a bottom 6 standard right back. No combination of the 3 centre backs we own, one of whom as you say is injured, is top 10 standard. Cunningham is the only defensive player we have who would be top 10 quality, with him out injured our alternative is bottom 3 standard. In midfield we have more talent but its very difficult to strike a good balance in there.

Definitely agree that the manager is not getting more than the sum of its parts out of the team which is required to push on though. I do definitely think that a new manager could get more out of this squad for sure, but its important not to overestimate its quality. The managers work has left us with quite an imbalanced squad.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JoeH said:

We've got a very strong midfield but we're poor up front, in defence and I have to say the keeper isn't great either.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

We've got a very strong midfield but we're poor up front, in defence and I have to say the keeper isn't great either.

Midfield was awful today. Usually they are our strongest aspect yes, but when they have an off day too, we look atrocious.

Walton, i know people lamented Raya's distribution but at least he got it out of his hands and up the field. 

50 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Midfield was awful today. Usually they are our strongest aspect yes, but when they have an off day too, we look atrocious.

Walton, i know people lamented Raya's distribution but at least he got it out of his hands and up the field. 

Has Walton been poor? We were after a keeper in the summer and failed to get one, and there were strong rumours that after missing out on Muric to Forest, Neil wanted Walton on loan, prior to him joining Blackburn. I thought he looked decent at Wigan.

Edited by north_ender

This game is giving me the last game of Ince’s era vibes when we got thumped at Wigan. If Preston go 2-0 up early things will get really ugly and I think the crowd will turn, not sure it’s going to be an atmosphere to savour on Saturday! If we lose he can go and take Venus Waggott and Lowe with him! 

8 hours ago, north_ender said:

Has Walton been poor? We were after a keeper in the summer and failed to get one, and there were strong rumours that after missing out on Muric to Forest, Neil wanted Walton on loan, prior to him joining Blackburn. I thought he looked decent at Wigan.

Has had only one game where I thought he looked decent and an improvement on Raya.

Just so slow to release the ball, wont kick it out of hand. Sometimes it is so slow it looks like it is him trying to run the clock down rather than the opposition when we are trying to grab a goal. Raya might have been a bit erratic when doing this but at least he did it.

And for a big guy, he really isnt very commanding of his area. 

Edited by JacknOry