BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

my views on the game, 

1st half we were excellent and played so well that Neil had to change it. We started 4-1-4-1 formation with Evans sat infront of back 4 with Armstrong right Rothwell left and Dack and Bennett in centre. Bennett was pick in there to stop Gallagher playing and he did so well Neil withdraw him. and change the players around in the same formation. 1st half we were at it and defend brilliant and so confidently. Gallagher took his goals well and played so really. At Half time was impressed and thought this was the turning point, how wrong was here. I knew at half time we need to get that 3rd goal to win the game. #

Second Half we gifted them a goal by a mistake by Walton. He should have catch the ball and be sure it was his. Not gift them a chance. After they scored we need to change it tactical and personal. Mowbray did neither and it costed us big time. It was a pen but felt several decisions by the ref was soft for them. Pearson is such a cry baby for supposedly a hard man. We didn't get the 50/50 off the ref. After it went 3-2 I know we were never coming back. The Graham sub was pointless and Rothwell should have gone off earlier to bring on Downing. The centre backs were bullied by Stockley and someone like Craig Short would have sorted him out. We lack a proper leader at the back and its costly us badly now. 

Mowbray was very quiet and I noticed never stood in the touchline like usual. Maybe he knows its done for him. I don't know. I feel that it didn't have to be this way if he made the signings we needed in the keeper and defence areas. We all know what we needed in the summer and failure to deliver what we needed should cost him his job. I love Mowbray for the job he has done but its feels like he took us as far as he can. very sad day for me. 

None of Rovers coaching staff stood up really during the game which is really odd. Just like not bring on Travis which we need during the second half

A very balanced, honest assessment. Cheers.

9 minutes ago, north_ender said:

To be honest, we do go down quite easily and try to buy cheap free kicks. We also time waste very regularly away from home. It's sometimes not great to watch but it's now part of the game, and as a team with a very small budget for this level, we are never going to turn up and just play teams off the park every week. We have to scrap, be streetwise, be willing to change things up sometimes in how we play, and have good 'game management'.

Tony Mowbray seemed quite critical of it in his post-match interview, along with the fact that we hit it long throughout the game. My response to that would be that why wouldn't we keep hitting it long when it was clear that the Rovers defenders couldn't really deal with it? And also, perhaps if Mowbray didn't think himself to be above 'game management' then you wouldn't be letting teams get on top of you and throwing away leads. If he believes you can just pass teams off the park every week without having to go long or changes things up sometimes in this league then he clearly isn't adaptable enough tactically. If he wants to paint himself as a purist then fine, but it clearly doesn't help in winning points.

As for your centre backs, having seen them today fail to deal with balls into the box, long balls, and a physical target man, I'm astonished that your local press were briefing that Bauer wouldn't have been an automatic first choice at Blackburn and that's why you didn't sign him. Granted, he should have done better on the first goal, but I thought he was gargantuan in the second half and I suspect the result may well have been different if he'd been playing for the other side today. As you say it's clear that you lack a leader in the defence.

As I said in my previous post, given some of the quality players you have, you look to have the makings of a decent Championship side, but you obviously need a managerial change.

well thanks for being honest in the 1st place. 

as for the Bauer point, my view is that no-one is automatic in any team. its down to performance. Would you not agree? How has Bauer been playing for you? 

Can I also ask why isn't Storey starting for you?

Just now, Stuart said:

A very balanced, honest assessment. Cheers.

you are more than welcome Stuart

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

well thanks for being honest in the 1st place. 

as for the Bauer point, my view is that no-one is automatic in any team. its down to performance. Would you not agree? How has Bauer been playing for you? 

Can I also ask why isn't Storey starting for you?

I agree that nobody should an automatic selection when joining a club, and Bauer didn't have to be for us initially because we've got Storey as well, but he's performed like a man mountain right from the opening day, so at the moment he probably is an automatic choice but that's down to good performances.

I doubt Neil guaranteed him an automatic spot every week when trying to get him to sign, but ultimately players do want at least some assurances on game time before joining a new club and my point was just that to lose out on a long-term target as Mowbray clearly did by not offering that assurance when you're clearly light at the back anyway is poor management and looks like it's costing you.

As for Storey, he did really well when he came into the side last season, considering how inexperienced he was. He's been a bit unlucky but ultimately the Bauer-Davies partnership has been excellent and both of them are undroppable at the moment. Neil seems very keen to have a left footed CB in the team for balance so with Davies out today he went instead with Hughes. It's not a bad indictment of Storey or anything, who Neil rates very highly.

2 hours ago, benhben said:

did any of the crowd make any Mowbray out noises at the end?

Yes, they definitely did. Loud, clear and prolonged from what sounded like a large section of the support.

Directed at the players as they acknowledged us at the end.

Some giving angry volleys of expletives towards them as well. 

The players looked embarrassed, kept their distance and so they should have too. 

The brave handful certainly got the message.

• Like 1

Walton was poor, nyambe dreadful for the equaliser. However, how can players ,mid table championship players, listen week in week out to a manager who picks bizarre and illogical starting 11s,let alone substitutions. My god,just pick the same team man. 

Nobody can predict what team he will play. 

Do other teams do this? Genuine question 

Just now, BRFC64 said:

Yes, they definitely did. Loud, clear and prolonged from what sounded like a large section of the support.

The players looked embarrassed, kept their distance and so they should have too. 

What was Bennett doing 

Just now, BRFC64 said:

Was we want Mowbray out chanted at the end by the group?

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Walton was poor, nyambe dreadful for the equaliser. However, how can players ,mid table championship players, listen week in week out to a manager who picks bizarre and illogical starting 11s,let alone substitutions. My god,just pick the same team man. 

Nobody can predict what team he will play. 

Do other teams do this? Genuine question 

No idea , what is the best team ....

Gutted. We're back to square one in terms when it comes to keeping calm when in the lead and seeing games out. I thought we had solved the puzzle for a while there, but guess not. We really needed the confidence boost this win would have given us, but it was a good honest performance and we came out blazing. Unfortunately, they adapted well and we just couldn't move the ball around (again), even though we fielded almost our entire 11 in their desired positions. Gallagher and Armstrong were good, and with a bit more luck we would have killed the game off in the first 45 minutes, and on another day with another ref it could have been a different story as well.

Very concerned how we couldn't deal with the physicality of Stockley, but that was top in-game management by Neil. 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Bullied by Stockley, brought in from Exeter. Barkhuisen scores two... from Morecambe.

Shows what proper management can achieve at this level...

What’s where they came from matter barkhuisen has been championship regular for the past 3 seasons... wasn’t that long ago Jamie vardy was at fleetwood yet he scored a premiership hat trick last night 

• Like 1

Personally I thought PNE were dead and buried at half time, you completley stopped us playing for 45mins. Our back four was makeshift at best but thats no excuse, it was blackburns half by a mile. I'm a north end fan so cant comment on blackburns previous games but that 45 was prob the best half any away team have played at deepdale this season.

Second half i think rovers looked apprehensive from the start. A bit fragile. We started playing long balls (which is not our game and the reason Stockley has hardly featured this season) and we got the early goal. After that we just kept applying pressure and rovers fell apart. 

Ive seen pne lose like that before and its def down to a lack of confidence. 

Based on first half i wouldnt be sacking the manager just yet, this is a tough league and whilst youve got a glorious past you're just not that team anymore. Theres no quick fix, build on the first 45mins and if it takes 2 or 3 seasons then so be it. We've waited half a century ffs!

• Like 2

Just now, PNEmad said:

Personally I thought PNE were dead and buried at half time, you completley stopped us playing for 45mins. Our back four was makeshift at best but thats no excuse, it was blackburns half by a mile. I'm a north end fan so cant comment on blackburns previous games but that 45 was prob the best half any away team have played at deepdale this season.

Second half i think rovers looked apprehensive from the start. A bit fragile. We started playing long balls (which is not our game and the reason Stockley has hardly featured this season) and we got the early goal. After that we just kept applying pressure and rovers fell apart. 

Based on first half i wouldnt be sacking the manager just yet, this is a tough league and whilst youve got a glorious past you're just not that team anymore. Theres no quick fix, build on the first 45mins and if it takes 2 or 3 seasons then so be it. We've waited half a century ffs!

I wouldn’t say they stopped us playing they where playing well but we where awful we gave every other pass away we made them look good... probably are worst half of football in a few years 

Edited by Pumpkin

Forced errors, they chased us all over the park and played better than us when they won the ball. Sometimes you just have to hand it to teams, theyre tactics worked which is why we had to sub Gally after 30mins otherwise theres every chance we could of gone in 3-0 down.

Just now, PNEmad said:

The reasons for sacking Mowbray are based on a lot more than half a game of football.

• Like 3

North End are cheats, it's a fact time wasting cheats, hope they get play offs, then do a usual and bottle it.

I have no time for a club who's tactic is to dive all over the place, con the referee, and winger every 5 seconds . Become a Sunday leauge team if that's your game plan,

Cheating club , never had a sniff of the premier league,  never will

Just now, Blue and White for ever said:

North End are cheats, it's a fact time wasting cheats, hope they get play offs, then do a usual and bottle it.

I have no time for a club who's tactic is to dive all over the place, con the referee, and winger every 5 seconds . Become a Sunday leauge team if that's your game plan,

Cheating club , never had a sniff of the premier league,  never will

i don`t think north end will be anywhere near the play offs,they just outbattled a side that is as weak as a pint of fosters shandy

Just now, PNEmad said:

Please. Just don’t. This isn’t about one match, let alone one half.

Funny though that the only person advocating that we keep Mowbray is a fan of the team who beat us today. :rolleyes:

Maybe you are genuine, maybe you are on the wind-up. Either way, leave it out.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Pumpkin said:

What’s where they came from matter barkhuisen has been championship regular for the past 3 seasons... wasn’t that long ago Jamie vardy was at fleetwood yet he scored a premiership hat trick last night 

That was the point I was making! There are these diamonds out there, blowing £7 million on ‘potential’ is a crazy way to operate for a club like us, Preston’s ‘model’ seems to be working much better from where I’m standing.

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Funny though that the only person advocating that we keep Mowbray is a fan of the team who beat us today. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they and every other club in the division would love us to keep Mowbray on for as long as possible.