BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray wanted Ben Hegenhan when we got relegated to league 1 but Sheff Utd got him. 

I thought Mowbray might move for him in the summer after his good spell at Blackpool from reporters and the 1 game I watched him. 

Over the 2 summers he had more than enough time to sign one or 2 plus an experience keeper. He failed. Experience right back aswell wouldnt got a miss either. 

At the end of the day chaddy, none of us know what other factors are involved in what goes on at the club: it ain't bloody normal that's for sure.

Things aren't going to change as you'd expect at a 'normal' club and despite everything, else that's why gates will continue to decline until such times as they do change.

Waggott and Cheston versus Bancroft and Fox? (Rhetorical btw!)

• Like 1

Just now, darrenrover said:

At the end of the day chaddy, none of us know what other factors are involved in what goes on at the club: it ain't bloody normal that's for sure.

Things aren't going to change as you'd expect at a 'normal' club and despite everything, else that's why gates will continue to decline until such times as they do change.

Waggott and Cheston versus Bancroft and Fox? (Rhetorical btw!)

I was still in my young years(less than 5 years old) when Walker bought the club. So I don't know the Bancroft and Fox era too much. 

I don't see the owners telling Mowbray he cant sign defenders for x or y or z reasons. Mowbray has the final decision. I don't know why he didn't sign the defenders we needed. Too loyal to current players. 

He'd decided to earmark the majority of his budget on the pursuit of Downing and Gallagher imo meaning there wasn't much room left to do other than loans in defence.

Another series of old pals acts.along with Derrick telling his manager he was now a centre half !

I was still in my young years(less than 5 years old) when Walker bought the club. So I don't know the Bancroft and Fox era too much. 

I don't see the owners telling Mowbray he cant sign defenders for x or y or z reasons. Mowbray has the final decision. I don't know why he didn't sign the defenders we needed. Too loyal to current players. 

When you see a decision not very long ago to appoint a chancer like Coyle, when the so called decision maker at the club, had already all but appointed someone else, then you have to believe that they  can  tell whoever they want, whatever they want. I would also like to think it wasn’t the case, but why else would you ship as many as we did last season and still fail to address it?

Edited by lraC
  • Like 1

Bancroft and Fox was before the Walker era.

• Like 1

Just now, lraC said:

When you see a decision not very long ago to appoint a chancer like Coyle, when the so called decision maker at the club, had already all but appointed someone else, then you have to believe that they  can  tell whoever they want, whatever they want. I would also like to think it wasn’t the case, but why else would you ship as many as we did last season and still fail to address it?

Cheston should have never gone on holiday until Warnock was appoint. Someone suggest Coyle to the owners and Suhail, who was at the club at that time that could have suggestion his name to those people?

The owners clearly trust Mowbray and that's why he got a new contract. 

Just now, MCMC1875 said:

That's was my point. 

In all seriousness, we're going to finish 15th, and the worst part about that is that over half of our fanbase will say "that's about right" for the squad we have. It isn't. This team on paper under any decent manager, like Alex Neil, would be in the Top 6. Sick of people on social media saying that wanting your manager to be replaced means you aren't supporting your team. Apparently its "negative" if you want a change in manager. Urgh... some people really are content with mid table mediocrity every year until enough decent players leave so the club can excuse another relegation.

Just now, JoeH said:

In all seriousness, we're going to finish 15th, and the worst part about that is that over half of our fanbase will say "that's about right" for the squad we have. It isn't. This team on paper under any decent manager, like Alex Neil, would be in the Top 6. Sick of people on social media saying that wanting your manager to be replaced means you aren't supporting your team. Apparently its "negative" if you want a change in manager. Urgh... some people really are content with mid table mediocrity every year until enough decent players leave so the club can excuse another relegation.

for me, each fan is allowed they own opinion. We might not agree all of the time. Even I want to change manager as I don't see the team progressing and I see the same mistakes as last season. I am a big fan of Mowbray and stuck up for him loads on this forum time after time, 

I am the type of person who gave the manager time but I feel that Mowbray hasn't addressed the areas in the summer he should have done with the experience players we needed. 

51 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

12 minutes ago, JoeH said:

We're going to finish 15th? You're having a laugh, which I find hard to believe seeing as you've watched the same team as me for the past 12 months.

Joe, mark my words, this squad isn't good enough: for countless reasons, unless we change managers almost immediately and make a few decent defensive recruitments in January, we'll be visiting Accy amongst others next season. Don't kid yourself differently, it's not just the manager.

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, renrag said:

It’s a no brainer! They got the odd one wrong, aka Jim Iley, but they knew how to find gems for the level we were at back then. Derek Keighley didn’t do too badly either with Howard Kendall

Keighley was outstanding.  Bancroft wasn't bad.  Fox had it relative;y easy with Uncle Jack's support.

All three were head and shoulders above Cheston and Waggot - think it's like PL v Blackburn Combination. 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I still fail to see on what basis this team can be judged as a top 6 one. You are massively overstating the quality of the players. Of course the foibles of the squad are down the manager but as much as a new manager is needed, I see the current squad and dont see solutions in more than one area in terms of having a top 6 challenging quality team.

Walton is horrendous, its generous to suggest he is bottom 6 quality. There is certainly no chance that the defence is anywhere near that quality, Cunningham excepted although hes a write off with injury. Lenihan is the best of the rest but injury prone and makes far too many errors and the rest again are nowhere near good enough, Bell, Williams, Nyambe and Adarabioyo, as well as jack of all trades master of none Bennett. You cant get top 6 with a defence and keeper like that.

Midfield and up front, theres an imbalance there. Travis a good player, top 6? Not yet no. Dack I think youd have to say yeah, he is pushing top 6 quality with his numbers. Holtby might have that quality too, but obviously hes only started once and he wants to play where Dack is. Rothwell an enigma, should play more but (partially as a result of management) hes not proven yet as that quality week in week out at this level. Johnson, Downing and Graham all at one point perhaps but to varying degrees are subdued by age. And down at the younger side, at huge cost, Armstrong, Gallagher, Samuel, Brereton etc all certainly cant be considered top 6 players.

I also think Alex Neil is a little more than decent, at this level hes up near the top.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I still fail to see on what basis this team can be judged as a top 6 one. You are massively overstating the quality of the players. Of course the foibles of the squad are down the manager but as much as a new manager is needed, I see the current squad and dont see solutions in more than one area in terms of having a top 6 challenging quality team.

Walton is horrendous, its generous to suggest he is bottom 6 quality. There is certainly no chance that the defence is anywhere near that quality, Cunningham excepted although hes a write off with injury. Lenihan is the best of the rest but injury prone and makes far too many errors and the rest again are nowhere near good enough, Bell, Williams, Nyambe and Adarabioyo, as well as jack of all trades master of none Bennett. You cant get top 6 with a defence and keeper like that.

Midfield and up front, theres an imbalance there. Travis a good player, top 6? Not yet no. Dack I think youd have to say yeah, he is pushing top 6 quality with his numbers. Holtby might have that quality too, but obviously hes only started once and he wants to play where Dack is. Rothwell an enigma, should play more but (partially as a result of management) hes not proven yet as that quality week in week out at this level. Johnson, Downing and Graham all at one point perhaps but to varying degrees are subdued by age. And down at the younger side, at huge cost, Armstrong, Gallagher, Samuel, Brereton etc all certainly cant be considered top 6 players.

I also think Alex Neil is a little more than decent, at this level hes up near the top.

He would be standing on Mowbrays shoulders.

44 minutes ago, renrag said:

It’s a no brainer! They got the odd one wrong, aka Jim Iley, but they knew how to find gems for the level we were at back then. Derek Keighley didn’t do too badly either with Howard Kendall

Apparently Jimmy Armfield was the king maker in those days

11 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Of course he is, but at 4pm yesterday as that cross came over...Mowbray is powerless. He can only react post event.

No. He can act pre-event by ensuring we have a competent keeper on the pitch. I'm not sure what's eluding you here.

Let's play the analogy game. I go to my doctor and tell him I have a problem. He gives me some half-assed diagnosis and inferior medication with a small but unsatisfactory chance of fixing my problem. My condition worsens.

It is still the doctor's fault. I wouldn't say ah well, he can only act after the fact and subscribe me the correct medication when the next shipment of that is available in January. I'd say Jesus you're a shit doctor, I want a new one ASAP.

Edit - and yes, fine, at 4pm yesterday he can't do anything but that in no way diminishes his responsibility.

Edited by bluebruce

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I think we have some good players here that shouldn’t be involved at the wrong end of the table but like you say we’ve got some areas where we are nowhere near the top 6. 

I think Lenihan is overrated by the management and most of the fanbase, I think Tosin looks very classy problem is he isn’t our player.

3 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

What I remember from then is that we didn't have a pot to piss in, the ground was gradually being closed down for safety reasons, we had no Brockhall and crowds were practically half of what they are now.

YET----we were signing good players for nothing or next to nothing, playing exciting football (well more so than now) and regularly challenging for promotion.

• Like 5

Even if Walton had caught that cross, we’d have still thrown it away; the whole approach to the second half was wrong and it felt like we didn’t get properly in their half in the second half (bar the header from the corner) until it was 2-2 again.

And even with the error, we’re still 2-1 up against Preston (not Barcelona) and we’ve been the better side for most of the game at that point. Why does that mean we have to then go on to lose? Why can’t we pick ourselves up again rather than collapse? If Waggott did say ‘we needed a third’ to that fan then that really winds me up. Is a 2-0 lead at HT in the Championship not enough to go on and win? 

• Like 6

IF we hadn't of given them their first goal we (I believe) would do seen a win for us or at least a draw. Either way it doesn't & shouldn't change anyone opinions of our managerial situation.

sorry @MCMC1875 & @OldEwoodBlue But I've got to piss on your chips again. The more & more I see Gallagher finish for our second the more it gives me hope he's better then what we've seen. No way he's worth 5 million but that's touch & finish is one of the best you'll see.

As explained (as agreed by everyone else) a new manager can open/change a lot of opinions on different players.

We are moving nowhere with this mon. We need change NOW. If it's done sooner rather thsn later it won't be as damaging as we may think. 

• Like 3