BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

56 minutes ago, frosty said:

Even if Walton had caught that cross, we’d have still thrown it away; the whole approach to the second half was wrong and it felt like we didn’t get properly in their half in the second half (bar the header from the corner) until it was 2-2 again.

And even with the error, we’re still 2-1 up against Preston (not Barcelona) and we’ve been the better side for most of the game at that point. Why does that mean we have to then go on to lose? Why can’t we pick ourselves up again rather than collapse? If Waggott did say ‘we needed a third’ to that fan then that really winds me up. Is a 2-0 lead at HT in the Championship not enough to go on and win? 

Very true. I had absolutely no confidence at half time that we would go on to win which is a sad state in itself.

Part of it has to be a mentality thing. When we beat Hull earlier this season and ground out a successive 1 goal win I think some people got a little bit carried away as if we had turned a corner in this regard. That horribly flimsy and spineless nature to our game in particular away from home continues to haunt us. The manager continues to be unable to rectify this.

Its very easy for Mowbray to pin point individual errors as he also did last year with Raya in particular but ultimately they will not be eliminated when the quality of our defensive players remains incredibly low. When we have poor players like Walton, Bennett, Bell and Williams amidst our defence then they will continue to make regular mistakes.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 47er said:

What I remember from then is that we didn't have a pot to piss in, the ground was gradually being closed down for safety reasons, we had no Brockhall and crowds were practically half of what they are now.

YET----we were signing good players for nothing or next to nothing, playing exciting football (well more so than now) and regularly challenging for promotion.

We always had hope that things would get better and its that hope that Venkys have crushed out of me and for which I will never ever forgive them for the rest of my days. Ever.

I look back fondly to the time when I hardly even knew the names of our Directors confident they were doing their best and got it wrong as often as right.

I am sick of doubting every word that comes out of Rovers.

I doubt if I will ever see happy times back at Ewood which, IMO, can only be achieved with Venkys gone.

The management riffraff they have brought it under their tenure is just a by-product of Venkys could not care attitude.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 47er said:

What I remember from then is that we didn't have a pot to piss in, the ground was gradually being closed down for safety reasons, we had no Brockhall and crowds were practically half of what they are now.

YET----we were signing good players for nothing or next to nothing, playing exciting football (well more so than now) and regularly challenging for promotion.

The conspiracy theory of the day was we "couldn't afford to go up".

It was never disproved as Jack brought the cash and the promotion we had craved, yet kept missing out. The rest is history as they say.

On that famous Saturday, the second day of May

We met a bunch of Swansea fans on the motorway

We said we'd win Promotion, we said we're going up

But on that famous Saturday, the Preston fucked it up !

Dad took me to Bristol that day in the back of his works van with his work mates. All illegal these days of course.

I also recall a period with fans on the pitch in front of the Nuttall Street stand shouting Fox Out and Sack the board. I was too young to understand.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Collapsing under pressure and an inability to defend leads away from home is an issue that has plagued this team under this manager throughout. Very easy to try and pin the responsibility onto a single player for an error but that ignores the wider issue and bigger picture. If the manager believes the collapse was caused purely by Walton's error and that we would have won otherwise that is a big worry because anyone who watches away games will be able to see a pattern in performances. On odd occasions we get away with it but frequently we crumble and let winning positions slip.

Think back to Stoke last year. Nearly let a 3 goal lead slip and would have done had they not missed their penalty. Weak. See it at home all the time- take the lead and concede immediately after. 

I've seen enough. It isnt individuals it is the collective mindset of Mowbray's team and it isnt going to change. Him and his team just don't have it in their lockers.

Brentford away. 2-0 up and coasting - end up losing 5-2, Birmingham home 2-0 up, draw 2-2. They are just off the top of my head.

• Like 1

I wish we could just have a consistent line-up. I know Mowbray thinks he's being proactive when he chops and changes the team every week to second-guess the opposition but it doesn't engender any continuity or confidence. I'd like us to keep it simple: Chapman & Rothwell on the wings, Holtby and Travis in the middle, Dack and Gallagher up-front. Not that I'm convinced Gallagher is the answer but we can't have £5m+ rotting on the bench (or the wing!).

• Like 5

Give Gallagher the right service playing him in the right position he'll plunder a few. But mobile athletic forward who can't play like Graham nor lurk and poach like Rhodes so get the the frigging ball and crosses in front of him !

Give him something to attack and use the attributes he has, a bit of old school thinking needed, as well as at least one winger.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Give Gallagher the right service playing him in the right position he'll plunder a few. But mobile athletic forward who can't play like Graham nor lurk and poach like Rhodes so get the the frigging ball and crosses in front of him !

Give him something to attack and use the attributes he has, a bit of old school thinking needed, as well as at least one winger.

Get Feeney back, proper winger 

Just now, tomphil said:

It's strange when you look back at the likes of Ripley, Wilcox, Gillespie. Those old fashioned, direct wingers who strive to take it to the byline and whip in a cross. What was wrong with that?

18 minutes ago, Amo said:

It's strange when you look back at the likes of Ripley, Wilcox, Gillespie. Those old fashioned, direct wingers who strive to take it to the byline and whip in a cross. What was wrong with that?

Iv'e no idea why football is trying to phase that out in favour of wide mids, wide strikers etc.  Crap to watch and usually doesn't suit the players they try and play there because basically they are either strikers or bog standard ten a penny midfielders.

• Like 2

Reflecting on it my biggest gripe was the lack of subs. Why? We were clearly struggling and TM has cost us points with needless subs on countless occasions (Holtby Vs Hudds being the most recent) yet when a change is actually - and clearly - needed he doesn't make one. Why? 

It seems out of character and against common sense, and without going too conspiracy theorist I am curious why in light of these facts we don't see any substitutions. 

I was on about that with someone and he just said i think he was being stubborn. He's been scrutinised for knee jerk reactions and changing things around to quickly and too many times in games. Maybe even by his senior pros so the dummy might have come out and he's just sat back and let them get on with it.

Either way it's a bit pathetic if that's the case but a sure sign of lost grip.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, 47er said:

Quite.

So many appear to have re-written our history for the pre-Walker years and it serves as a reason for accepting the unacceptable.

Since 2012, we have hardly even made the play-off positions in the 2nd tier.

Going nowhere, then in reverse. Our last dip into the 3rd tier was largely an anaesthetic for our Venky disease, although it did create a feel-good factor for a while..

However, we pissed away the momentum. FOV!

• Like 5

• Backroom
4 hours ago, arbitro said:

Brentford away. 2-0 up and coasting - end up losing 5-2, Birmingham home 2-0 up, draw 2-2. They are just off the top of my head.

Relegation season weren’t we 2-0 at home to Preston, 2-2 draw, go down by a fine margin.

Promotion season 2-0 up at home to Wigan, finishes 2-2 and they clinch the title by a fine margin.

• J*B unpinned this topic
On 27/10/2019 at 05:16, Hasta said:

But what if that plumber isn't suitably qualified to work on that type of tap,  because it's more complicated than what he is used to working on. (Walton).

Or what if you get a electrician to do a plumbers job (Bennett) ?

Wigan fans told us that Walton was a good shot stopper but dodgy on crosses. It's not unexpected. The problem is he isn't as good a shot stopper as Raya.

Watch Waltons feet, he always wants to shuffle his feet before diving by then he's already beaten.  Raya used to just spring.   Just no excuse for not claiming that cross.  How many knew after that we would lose, most of us I am guessing.

15 hours ago, Tom said:

Relegation season weren’t we 2-0 at home to Preston, 2-2 draw, go down by a fine margin.

Promotion season 2-0 up at home to Wigan, finishes 2-2 and they clinch the title by a fine margin.

We were one down to PNE before Bennett won a tackle which fired us up to go 2-1 up if I remember correctly.

The Wigan game you are correct

Is their squad really 15/16 places better than ours ?

Amazing what you can do when you have drive, ambition and an idea how to recruit and organise a defence. For what it's worth i think despite how well they are doing they are in a false position ( we most definitely aren't ) however i think they'll crack the top 6 this season.

Injuries and loss of manager not withstanding of course. That club most definitely isn't run or influenced by agents and all manner of clueless or self serving. Burnley mk2 could well be emerging there.

• 1 month later...
On 04/11/2019 at 00:45, tomphil said:

Is their squad really 15/16 places better than ours ?

Amazing what you can do when you have drive, ambition and an idea how to recruit and organise a defence. For what it's worth i think despite how well they are doing they are in a false position ( we most definitely aren't ) however i think they'll crack the top 6 this season.

Injuries and loss of manager not withstanding of course. That club most definitely isn't run or influenced by agents and all manner of clueless or self serving. Burnley mk2 could well be emerging there.

Not now...

Just now, philipl said:

Not now...

I did say in another post somewhere i expected them to run out of steam but it wouldn't be the managers fault ?

Not a strong enough squad to keep it up they were definitely over achieving, some good recruitment though and.....

28 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I did say in another post somewhere i expected them to run out of steam but it wouldn't be the managers fault ?

Not a strong enough squad to keep it up they were definitely over achieving, some good recruitment though and.....

They have a number of injuries to some of their better players. Which is nice.

• Like 1