BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football fans and mental health

As Secretary of the Fans Forum I have been approached by a documentary film maker today who is making a film for the BBC about young men's mental health issues and the role both playing and watching football can have. His email outlining the aims of the film is below. It is planned to show the film as part of the BBC's coverage of the FA Cup this year.

If anyone is either interested in helping with this or knows someone who is can you please send me a private message and I will put you in touch. Obviously you don't have to be a member of the Fans Forum, or for that matter even a Rovers fan. 

This landmark film will focus on men’s mental health through the prism of football. The film hopes to highlight the fact that we all have mental health and encourage more men to feel comfortable talking about their mental health. One aspect we're looking at is how supporting a football team can have a positive impact on men that may be dealing with mental health issues. I'm travelling to Blackburn on Thursday next week to spend some time with a group called 'Blokes United' that arrange football meet-up sessions to any lads in the area that may need an outlet and some support. I thought it couldn't hurt to talk to some Rover's fans while i'm up there.

If there were any members of the Rovers Fans Forum that you think may be interested in talking to us about the programme and if they had a story that they'd be interested in sharing, please feel free to pass on my details.  

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Watching Rovers can damage your mental heath. That should be printed on the tickets.

...while feeling like you belong to a ‘club’ can do wonders for it. (Yes, I know you were joking).

Which is why fans need to be engaged and valued rather than simply pumped for cash and thrown stupid gimmicks like the £300-lottery-ticket-for-a-£10,000-prize scheme. More fool anyone who bought the 8,598th season ticket on the back of that ‘incentive’.

9 hours ago, Ozz said:

Does it only relate to  'young men' John?

When I spoke to the guy ion the phone he mentioned it was targeted at young men, but there is no reference to it in the email above which he sent me. i would take it for anybody actually.

• Like 2