BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread (15th edition)

Can anyone think of 3 clubs that we are going to finish above the way things are going?

Wigan - atrocious relegation level away form but very strong home form where they rarely concede or lose - will survive on that alone

Luton - score goals - have pulled a few impressive results out recently - have an identity.

Millwall - new manager who has a good record and importantly knows how to build from the back and organise a team - will survive

Stoke - struggling but underachieving massively with that squad and the sort of club that will pay big bucks to appoint a quality new manager e.g. Hughton when they fire Jones - should be ok 

Huddersfield - on the rise under Cowley

Barnsley - perhaps the only one I'd put a bet on us finishing above but then again they are yet to appoint a new manager so things could change there.

Reading - again underachieving and seem to have a new manager bounce.

Another 2-3 weeks and things will change from the laid back relaxed approach of 'careful what you wish for' or 'steady away under Mowbray' to needing a change urgently to try and get out of relegation trouble.

As ever with Rovers all the alarm bells and warning signs will be ignored for months until we are up to our necks in it and there is much less time to turn it around and we're a much less attractive proposition for a new manager and the decent ones have all gone elsewhere.

Sickening but we've seen all this before. It's how Mowbray got the job in the first place.

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Looking at the league, Stoke, Boro, Huddersfield. Derby won’t go down so it’s looking like 3 from Barnsley, Reading, Luton, Wigan , Us and Millwall.  Very worried, especially with our upcoming games and Mowbray seemingly incapable of getting it right 

Not sure about Middlesbrough , could depend on , if and when they ditch Woodgate !!!

Bit like us really ..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

Not sure about Middlesbrough , could depend on , if and when they ditch Woodgate !!!

Bit like us really ..

And who they replace him with too!  

Think Reading must be candidates for relegation appointing the rookie Bowen. No experience of being a number 1, and having made the change recently then he's likely to be in post for a while. Must make Reading one of the favourites for relegation imo. Who you appoint is just as important as getting rid of the last incumbant. 

49 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Boro are the opposite of us, they have an owner that gives a shit and will do right by them. They’ve got goals when everyone is fit, they’ll be fine ....

Exactly. Boro struggling now but Gibson cares and understands the game. He will know when times up and a decision needs to be made. He's given Woodgate a chance, they're underachieving at present but he will do the right thing.

Same story when they fired Mowbray despite him being a legend there.

Same story at Stoke. Persisting with Jones but it won't carry on. They'll make a change and climb out of it. Owner who cares and takes an interest in what is happening.

• Like 1

Not trying to be a killjoy but I think we are still in a relegation battle and one win doesn't change that. That said, in our relegation fight today was a very positive day for us, with some encouraging signs. 

The big positives are Boro losing again, meaning that there's now a 6 point gap between us and the relegation zone. A bit of room to breath is much appreciated. Perhaps we could do with Boro picking up slightly so they don't pot Woodgate too soon, but overall a 6 point gap is preferable. Equally, Luton and Wigan both lost again, and I think both, especially the former could be in real trouble. Home losses, even to good teams, aren't a good sign and I think both will be struggling, especially Luton as the promotion bounce looks to have worn off quickly. 

On the flip side, Huddersfield seem to be confirming they're actually an ok team with someone competent at the helm. Another win strongly suggests they'll only be looking upwards. Reading also won again, which surprises me, as they're one of the teams I think are perhaps more likely to go down. Will see how long the new manager bounce lasts, but right now it seems pretty strong. Good win over relegation rivals Millwall too. 

So overall a positive week for Rovers both in terms of the gap between us and the bottom 3 and other teams not looking mega secure either. A long way to go but a good week for us. 

• Like 1

Interesting to see 2 huge relegation 6 pointers today: Reading Vs Luton and Stoke Vs Barnsley. The looser of the latter in particular will be in a very bad way. 

Millwall, Wigan and Boro don't have easy games, albeit ones they could get something from, so today could be a good day for Rovers to put a bit of distance between us and the relegation zone. 

• Backroom
Just now, Blue blood said:

Interesting to see 2 huge relegation 6 pointers today: Reading Vs Luton and Stoke Vs Barnsley. The looser of the latter in particular will be in a very bad way. 

Think it'll be wins for both the bigger clubs. Luton are sinking fast after a decent start and Barnsley don't look close to being good enough to stay in the division. Stoke's players meanwhile will assumedly be looking to impress the new boss. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

There’s 6 teams between us and the drop. I think boro, Stoke and Huddersfield will come good. Well not even come good just finish ahead of us. Think Barnsley and Luton will struggle. So realistically I’d like us to stay ahead of Wigan and reading.

Sorry what am I talking about we’re in a play off push. Silly me. 

• Like 3

Just now, matt83 said:

There’s 6 teams between us and the drop. I think boro, Stoke and Huddersfield will come good. Well not even come good just finish ahead of us. Think Barnsley and Luton will struggle. So realistically I’d like us to stay ahead of Wigan and reading.

Sorry what am I talking about we’re in a play off push. Silly me. 

Ye of little faith. Top 2 here we come..

Climb aboard the ToMo train!!!!!!

If there is a positive from today, and a scant consolation it is, I think there are clearly 3 worse sides than us. Barnsley lost the biggest 6 pointer of the season so far and are looking doomed. Equally Luton and Wigan also took heavy losses and are looking poor teams. Those are the 3, with Boro as the safety net, who look worse than us and may save us from relegation. 

So far the last few weeks have panned out mainly as expected: Hudds and Stoke looking decent with a competent man in charge, albeit early.days for Stoke. Luton and Wigan are looking weak along with Barnsley and have done nothing to deter this initial assessment. 

The only team bucking expectations are Reading who keep winning despite a novice manager and weak squad. If they keep this up much longer they could be out of the woods regardless of a later stall. 

So a crap performance and result for us but a sliver of solace that is that some other teams look in real trouble too. 

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

If there is a positive from today, and a scant consolation it is, I think there are clearly 3 worse sides than us. Barnsley lost the biggest 6 pointer of the season so far and are looking doomed. Equally Luton and Wigan also took heavy losses and are looking poor teams. Those are the 3, with Boro as the safety net, who look worse than us and may save us from relegation. 

So far the last few weeks have panned out mainly as expected: Hudds and Stoke looking decent with a competent man in charge, albeit early.days for Stoke. Luton and Wigan are looking weak along with Barnsley and have done nothing to deter this initial assessment. 

The only team bucking expectations are Reading who keep winning despite a novice manager and weak squad. If they keep this up much longer they could be out of the woods regardless of a later stall. 

So a crap performance and result for us but a sliver of solace that is that some other teams look in real trouble too. 

I wouldn't count Boro as a safety net. They'll pull the trigger on Woodgate soon enough.

If we are banking on just 3 teams being worse than us we're in huge trouble.

We've already lost to Luton, at home. An absolutely abysmal result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

I wouldn't count Boro as a safety net. They'll pull the trigger on Woodgate soon enough.

If we are banking on just 3 teams being worse than us we're in huge trouble.

We've already lost to Luton, at home. An absolutely abysmal result.

Agree that 3 teams isn't that many as we would like by a long stretch. However I would say it looks very clear that those 3 teams are worse than us by a significant margin which is a plus. 

What happens next season without that (appreciate you are saying it's not enough this season) if any of the promoted teams are decent is very worrying. Hopefully TM will be gone by then but who knows with this lot in charge. 

My thoughts are there are clearly 3 teams worse than us right now who look no closer to getting it together than we do. Not masses of solace but it's much better than every club looking a more competent outfit than us. 

Should have said also Millwall winning means they're on a mini revival at the moment with 2 wins in the last 3. So yeah can see why you would be worried. 

Am not Uber confident myself but in a weakend of another crap performance I am encouraged by how very weak 3 other teams are looking. 

At a normal club Barnsley would be pivotal for the future direction of the club. With two weeks to go, either a decision is made now, giving time for a new man to be appointed or TM is made clear that the fixture is his last chance.

Alas, we are not normal and I doubt a conversation will even be had, because, well, who’s he having this hypothetical conversation with? Couple this with a match going fanbase that still seemingly have no issues with our 2019 collapse in form and on we stagger to a possible third Venky relegation in 8 years.

10 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

The danger is real and present,we are not picking up enough wins and form is terrible.

This is not what anyone expected this season...Mowbray is failing miserably.

I think most people on this site expected , the season to follow this pattern as soon as the transfer window was shut...The said window , was an unmitigated disaster !!!

Mowbray should have been potted in the summer but the team came too at the end of the season .Buying him time ...

• Like 1

• Backroom
4 hours ago, philipl said:

I don't see the last 5 minutes against Sheff Weds as a turning point, more a phew 3 points!

It was a gasp for air after a long period of being underwater, but we're still in very real danger.

So we are now at the point of trying to find 3 sides worse than us to ensure we don't get relegated.

We've already lost at home to Luton and have to go away to Luton, Barnsley and Wigan. Would anyone put any money on us beating any of those away when the pressure is on?

I think Reading have a better squad than people give them credit for. They spent a fortune in the summer and shouldn't be getting relegated.

Middlesbrough are underachieving but have a chairman who knows the game and wants the best for his club. He wont sit idly by as they slide into League One. 

Others that we had targeted as strugglers- Charlton, Millwall, Birmingham and Hull - are doing alright.

Not looking good for a side that cant defend, can't create and has zero consistency in approach.