BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Damien Johnson

Right so I just want to quickly talk about Damien Johnson.

The most qualified (in a literal sense) member of staff at the football club. Damien Johnson created an ethos during his tenure as manager of the Under 23's, and during the rest of his work with all teams throughout his time at the club. Johnson has been pivotal in introducing the new learning culture within the first team set up, the new technological advances I would say are a direct result of his impact since stepping into the first team picture.

Damien has two underlings (Data Analysts) who he works with personally on a day to day basis, which has come into major effect from this season, and it is Johnson who has been instrumental in the touch screen implementation at Brockhall, analysing games and player performance and going over it with the players.

The bloke has spent most of his career dedicating his time and efforts to this club in MANY capacities and I have absolutely no doubt that one day he'll manage at a top top level. He joined this club as manager of the Under 14's, and the achievements directly caused by his impact since are astounding to me.

For me, if TM really does end up going any time soon, there is no better replacement, there's nobody who's got the experience at this club, the freshness to give it a good go and most importantly the respect of the fans, players and staff already at the club. Others may disagree and that's fine, but I just wanted to lay that out there. Johnson has worked wonders with the 23's. Not just the promotion from the PL2(2) but also his amazing season with that team last year getting the lads into the Champions League of youth football.

Mark Hughes, Chris Hughton, Tony Pulis... meh - tried, tested? Sure. But for me, we've got a chance to try something new. Think Eddie Howe, even in some ways Gary Bowyer (hopefully not in the mediocrity way though!).

Some interesting stuff there even if it looks like his brother has written it ?

Seriously though it would be brilliant if he climbed all the way to the top to manage the first team and i agree a fresh approach would be welcomed. I hope though it's done the right way with him taking over in summer with a full pre season and budget in place to work from as well as being able to get rid of the deadwood himself and not having someone else doff out new contracts to them to look after their mates. 

Removing TM now might see another guy off the scrapheap and another dinosour approach that will see Johnson sidelined or leave yet if he took over now it would probably be too early.

A summer of radical change is the best way to go imo even if they move Mowbray upstairs for a bit to keep a steady eye on things.

However Johnson will only be as good as the people he surrounds himself with so a good first team coach and a few good defenders must top the list otherwise he'd be on a hiding to nothing, touchscreens or no touchscreens.

Basically the same things Mowbray is lacking at present !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Right so I just want to quickly talk about Damien Johnson.

The most qualified (in a literal sense) member of staff at the football club. Damien Johnson created an ethos during his tenure as manager of the Under 23's, and during the rest of his work with all teams throughout his time at the club. Johnson has been pivotal in introducing the new learning culture within the first team set up, the new technological advances I would say are a direct result of his impact since stepping into the first team picture.

Damien has two underlings (Data Analysts) who he works with personally on a day to day basis, which has come into major effect from this season, and it is Johnson who has been instrumental in the touch screen implementation at Brockhall, analysing games and player performance and going over it with the players.

The bloke has spent most of his career dedicating his time and efforts to this club in MANY capacities and I have absolutely no doubt that one day he'll manage at a top top level. He joined this club as manager of the Under 14's, and the achievements directly caused by his impact since are astounding to me.

For me, if TM really does end up going any time soon, there is no better replacement, there's nobody who's got the experience at this club, the freshness to give it a good go and most importantly the respect of the fans, players and staff already at the club. Others may disagree and that's fine, but I just wanted to lay that out there. Johnson has worked wonders with the 23's. Not just the promotion from the PL2(2) but also his amazing season with that team last year getting the lads into the Champions League of youth football.

Mark Hughes, Chris Hughton, Tony Pulis... meh - tried, tested? Sure. But for me, we've got a chance to try something new. Think Eddie Howe, even in some ways Gary Bowyer (hopefully not in the mediocrity way though!).

I have had some involvement with DJ in the past and in my opinion, his downfall regarding being a manager is that he is not a people person. I think he would struggle to make the step up from coach but would be happy to be proved wrong.

3 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I have had some involvement with DJ in the past and in my opinion, his downfall regarding being a manager is that he is not a people person. I think he would struggle to make the step up from coach but would be happy to be proved wrong.

Interesting and thanks for the heads up. 

If he’s any good he will realise this and get an assistant that fills the gaps. The complete manager is pretty rare, not just in football but all walks of life. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

I'm aware. Little bit of a paradox though. Can't become a manager without having been a manager etc etc... For me we have to take a risk on trying something productive. I just think it makes more sense than bringing in another version of TM.

It wasn't long ago we were all crying out for a tried and tested manager. Now we should give it a U23 coach? I have no idea who Venkys would hire next. I never saw them bringing in Paul Lambert & co. even if it didn't work out in the end.

Just now, Amo said:

It wasn't long ago we were all crying out for a tried and tested manager. Now we should give it a U23 coach? I have no idea who Venkys would hire next. I never saw them bringing in Paul Lambert & co. even if it didn't work out in the end.

This is where i'm at as i think a large part of why TM has done well here behind the scenes is down to his experience he was the right type at the right time for once in regards to that if nothing else.

On the pitch and in his transfer dealings he's pretty much what i expected him to be and his systems etc have just followed what he's done at other clubs playing wise. For this reason i think the next change has to be done properly even if it takes a while although another losing streak like last season is totally unacceptable obviously. I think the weight of clout he might carry behind the scenes means it would be better to keep him around in another role a while if he was interested in that.   I'd keep him away from the chequebook though for sure !

He did give the club back its identity even if the team hasn't really got one other than being 'flexible'.

Edited by tomphil

I know I'm wearing DJ tinted glasses with this one, and I'm probably a little over complimentary but I like his footballing style and I just have a personal opinion he'll manage this club one day.

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

That's where the good coach comes in then it doesn't matter if the manager is a bit aloof.  If he's single minded and driven and has a bit of young manager ruthlessness then all the better because that's probably what is missing at the min.

• Like 1

I'm very wary of this idea, which keeps being trotted out. For me, we are a pretty big club and I'd ALWAYS want someone who has prior first team gaffer experience in charge. People can get their initial experiences lower down the leagues.

Not to say it can't work. I had similar reservations about Hughes. But more often it turns out more like a Shearer situation.

Then again I agree with the poster who said they'd be worried about the Venkys tombola.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I'm very wary of this idea, which keeps being trotted out. For me, we are a pretty big club and I'd ALWAYS want someone who has prior first team gaffer experience in charge. People can get their initial experiences lower down the leagues.

Not to say it can't work. I had similar reservations about Hughes. But more often it turns out more like a Shearer situation.

Then again I agree with the poster who said they'd be worried about the Venkys tombola.

More worried by Mowbray tombola at the moment 

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

More worried by Mowbray tombola at the moment 

The Venkys tombola will only kick in once they dispense with the Mowbray tombola, but their tombola can result in guaranteed relegation, whereas his results in mid table mediocrity.

Not saying I don't want rid. Just very worried about what comes next if we do.

If, and that is a big if,  Mowbary is potted if we can't geta Chris Hughton then I would not be against Damien having a go.  I think we would see more of the youngsters as he knows who is and is not better than the Mowbary group.  I personally feel he would do well and I think we would be a better watch.than we are now.

Good post @JoeH

We have been stung before with promoting excellent coaches and assistants to a managerial role. Haford and Kidd being prime examples. We’ve also had the glaring example of a prick of a coach blagging the job, but that’s a whole other story. @Amo rightly points out the Peter Principle... it occurs all over the place all the time, and football is no different.

I really don’t know enough about him to suggest whether he’d be a success or failure, but I don’t think he should just be appointed on the basis he is already here. In all honesty, after all his impressive work with the youth set ups and U23s, I’d have liked to have seen a bit more of a noticeable impact on the first team in the games we have played so far. We still, for me, lack any real identity or playing style. I’m also not the biggest advocate of an overly statistical approach to the game, which I guess makes me a dinosaur in this day and age.

If we are to roll the dice though, the type of manager I think we need is exactly the type of manager who would never work under Venkys in a month of Sunday’s. So on that basis I wouldn’t be disappointed if Johnson was given a go.

• Like 3

I think we all worry about what next if Mowbray goes, but now would mean we could get on with whatever comes next instead of leaving Mowbray in situ until it's too late for any incoming manager to sort things before next season. We all know that Venkys will likely leave it until preseason has started or whatever and then expect a new guy to come in and have an impact

9 hours ago, Miller11 said:

If we are to roll the dice though, the type of manager I think we need is exactly the type of manager who would never work under Venkys in a month of Sunday’s. So on that basis I wouldn’t be disappointed if Johnson was given a go.

I responded to this by saying  "Sorry I don't follow this last sentence". My post was deleted!!

Why?

Always had an issue of Johnson taking Grabbi's goal v West Ham slamming in a ball that was clearly going in when Grabbi was desperate for the confidence boosting goal.

Minority view here but Grabbi's issues were more mental than anything else and he could have become the player we spent all that money for him.

• Like 5

Just now, philipl said:

Always had an issue of Johnson taking Grabbi's goal v West Ham slamming in a ball that was clearly going in when Grabbi was desperate for the confidence boosting goal.

Minority view here but Grabbi's issues were more mental than anything else and he could have become the player we spent all that money for him.

Haha glad I'm not the only one. I was re-watching that game the other month and felt sorry for Grabbi. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I responded to this by saying  "Sorry I don't follow this last sentence". My post was deleted!!

Why?

I mean we are never going to get a no nonsense type while the lions are here. So I’d be as happy with Johnson as anyone.

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, 47er said:

Why?

I'm not seeing any post hidden and we don't delete posts. Are you sure it went through?