BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

If Tony goes...

If Mowbray goes...  

199 members have voted

1. 1. If Tony leaves or gets sacked who would we want in to replace him.

• Damien Johnson
    • Chris Hughton
    • David Moyes
    • Alan Pardew
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Chris Coleman
    • Gary Rowett
    • Nigel Adkins
    • Neil Harris
    • Martin O'Neill
    • Mark Hughes
    • None of the above

Just now, Ossydave said:

I'm not on about players going on holiday Chaddy, I'm talking about the pally approach of Mowbray which seemingly certain players take advantage of. Morale is one thing, being a soft touch is another.

Mowbray isnt a Keane type tbh. Im unsure we need that sort of manager myself. Its more about People skills and knowing what to do in that current situation..

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray isnt a Keane type tbh. Im unsure we need that sort of manager myself. Its more about People skills and knowing what to do in that current situation..

No shit sherlock

Thats half the problem.

You think a Keane, Fergie, or someone of that ilk would be letting players jet off around the world after their latest non-performance?

Edit: Not claiming Keane is anywhwere near the ilk of Fergie as a manage.

Edited by JacknOry

17 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Parkinson linked with the job aswell..

Who knows? 

All down to the owners in India. I would say he still has alot of credit with them after the job hes done here. 

What job?

We've been relegated whilst he was brought in to keep us up (Mowbray's words) and league position wise, we aren't hugely better off than when he arrived and in the meantime, I think Mowbray's spunked £15million+ away on Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher whilst we have, possibly, the most porous defence in the Championship.

I think we will be struggling to keep out the bottom six never mind challenging the top six.

IMO, Mowbray has done very little to move us forward and we are as far away from the PL as ever.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mowbrays 'slow build' manure rhetoric always makes me look at a Guardian article back in 2010 after he had managed to fuck up at Celtic.

"Even Celtic insiders privately shook their heads at their manager's constant references to football ideology, how he "builds teams" as if instant success is an unexpected by-product, rather than the possible bedfellow of changes in personnel."

Mind you Celtic had employed him in full knowledge that he had just relegated West Brom with a mind-boggling GD of -31

His sacking came after a 4-0 pasting by St Mirren in which Celtic finished up with 6, yes SIX, strikers on the pitch no doubt deployed in ill-fitting holes.

He hasn't changed at all over the years.

As Scott Brown later said "Tony Mowbray - now that was a crisis"

The blinkered are still giving him an open stay based on finishing 2nd in L1, and then ignorantly rubbishing the value of winning a Title, after Wigan clinched it. Bitter fecker.

I would rather have Bowyer and that says it all. 

IMO, an excellent post that says it all.

• Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Celtic...Coventry (‘If only I’d brought in a big centre half’) - the guy just hasn’t learned over the years has he? 

This is the contradiction of Mowbray.

He picked out Bauer and courted him for over 12 months then, on the face of it, stood up to the player “to earn his place” (as if getting past Mulgrew was to be such a feat). In fact, hardly any player has got into the team straight away, such is Mowbray’s obsession over players earning their way into “the group”.

Yet he lets players run the dressing room and have mini-sunshine-holidays in October while the team is struggling, compounded by a new injury crisis - and meanwhile paying fans sit watching the pissing rain for a week.

Out of touch and getting further away.

• Like 5

On 10/10/2019 at 20:06, chaddyrovers said:

Would you not agree Hughton seems to better with Calderwood as number 2 than without? 

My Huddersfield fan mate is very happy with Cowley impact so far aswell..

You know your football Mercer so who would this Cowley type? Someone like Michael Flynn at Newport or Ainsworth at Wycombe? 

What is on your view on Damien Johnson and whether you think you could be this Cowley type? 

Thanks for response in advance

Any response to this post @Mercer

24 minutes ago, Mercer said:

What job?

We've been relegated whilst he was brought in to keep us up (Mowbray's words) and league position wise, we aren't hugely better off than when he arrived and in the meantime, I think Mowbray's spunked £15million+ away on Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher whilst we have, possibly, the most porous defence in the Championship.

I think we will be struggling to keep out the bottom six never mind challenging the top six.

IMO, Mowbray has done very little to move us forward and we are as far away from the PL as ever.

Rebuilding a fan base that was rock bottom when Coyle was here. 

Think we would agree the Brereton and Gallagher havent been used right by Mowbray after buying them. Whether we would use the money the same way is debateable. 

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mowbrays 'slow build' manure rhetoric always makes me look at a Guardian article back in 2010 after he had managed to fuck up at Celtic.

"Even Celtic insiders privately shook their heads at their manager's constant references to football ideology, how he "builds teams" as if instant success is an unexpected by-product, rather than the possible bedfellow of changes in personnel."

Mind you Celtic had employed him in full knowledge that he had just relegated West Brom with a mind-boggling GD of -31

His sacking came after a 4-0 pasting by St Mirren in which Celtic finished up with 6, yes SIX, strikers on the pitch no doubt deployed in ill-fitting holes.

He hasn't changed at all over the years.

As Scott Brown later said "Tony Mowbray - now that was a crisis"

The blinkered are still giving him an open stay based on finishing 2nd in L1, and then ignorantly rubbishing the value of winning a Title, after Wigan clinched it. Bitter fecker.

I would rather have Bowyer and that says it all. 

It's very worrying especially when you read around Coventry, Boro stuff as well there is a definite recurring pattern but that's obviously the way he is.  He either just cannot see the error of his ways or is just too stubborn or terrified to change.

Good man manager because he's the players man nice guy act and he'll be very experienced with stuff off the pitch and the inner workings of clubs and i think Rovers have definitely benefited from that in his time here but on the park it is stuck between bang average and poor.

League 1 he did well getting us back first time of asking as it could so easily have gone the other way with the rot that was still being eradicated but with the capabilities we had we could have walked that league. Not saying we should have but we could have however the approach to it wasn't bold enough half the time but the strength of the squad and some of the quality in it saw us through.

This season though you feel there is something missing although i'm not of the opinion the players haven't got his back i more think they actually follow his tactics to the letter and that's the problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

We need a modern day Souness or Roy Keane tbh, the holiday camp needs closing and we need to start firing a few rockets up incompetent backsides.

Nice lads, nicey nicey modern day players prefer the uncle types of boss good old Souey and Roy would have them running to their union reps on a weekly basis.

'Hey this b#strd made us train outside twice this week, have you seen the weather !!!!'

That's what you are up against these days bog standard championship players treated and paid better than stars of the recent past.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Erm Chaddy, that's exactly my point. Where are his people skills as well, I'm told from a decent source he's also had a massive row with Nyambe so he probably won't even play despite our defence being on its arse.

Just now, Ossydave said:

Erm Chaddy, that's exactly my point. Where are his people skills as well, I'm told from a decent source he's also had a massive row with Nyambe so he probably won't even play despite our defence being on its arse.

That's a strange one as Nyambe is supposed to be a bit introverted and not prone to speaking out, I recall Dack making fun of it in a Rovers produced video.

If Nyambe has shown attitude I applaud him and if Mowbray cannot cope or manage that it's a poor do.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

That's a strange one as Nyambe is supposed to be a bit introverted and not prone to speaking out, I recall Dack making fun of it in a Rovers produced video.

If Nyambe has shown attitude I applaud him and if Mowbray cannot cope or manage that it's a poor do.

I was a bit surprised too, but logically, if you were a joiner and your boss got a plumber to do your job you'd be extremely miffed, that's kinda the position he's in.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Massive row with Nyambe? When?.

Tbf Nyambe deserve dropping at the time

24 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I've thought for a while now that Mowbray likes to pick the low hanging fruit and anything else puts him out of his comfort zone. He likes to sign players he has either worked with previously or played for one of his former clubs. He likes his players to be of a certain character who won't challenge his authority. He has confirmed this himself on several occasions. He has worked with his assistant manager, first team coach and Chief Exec before.

There are lots of limitations to his managerial ability which all add up to him having reached the glass ceiling with us.

• Like 5

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Massive row with Nyambe? When?.

Tbf Nyambe deserve dropping at the time

Really? Dropping for a medicore right midfielder who has generally been poor this season? Do you really think that is a good decision. If Nayambe had been dropped for a better right back that would have been one thing, would have felt sorry for the lad but that's how it goes, but a subpar right midfielder? Also deserved dropping - more than Mulgrew, Smallwood, Gally or Armstrong in their terrible runs. All these players played much worse for much longer than Nayambe so he seems to have been judged against a completely unfair different standard. (My point isn't these weren't dropped eventually but how many bad games they had before they did - significantly more than Nayambe.) He also had to force his way past Paul Caddis, despite Nayambe already being here. No wonder he is hacked off.

51 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Think we would agree the Brereton and Gallagher havent been used right by Mowbray after buying them. Whether we would use the money the same way is debateable. 

There is no debate as to whether we would use the money the same way whatsoever! What possible posutive debatable merits are there on spending £12 mill on two none scoring strikers, one of whom isn't even championship standard? Everyone would have brought defenders or strikers with a proven record of scoring in this division. I'll grant you I can kind of see where the Gally signing comes from, albeit  it is working out badly, but Bereton? On what level was £7 million on a totally unproven striker at this level a good idea? Not debatable at all imo as that suggests there are some arguable merits to buying Bereton. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Any response to this post @Mercer

Never mind that, I've asked on 2 occasions about your flip flop in opinion on Mowbray - from wanting him to stay long term on the Thursday to him potentially being sacked on Saturday -and you've refused to answer. Hypocritical much?

• Like 1

Just now, LDRover said:

Never mind that, I've asked on 2 occasions about your flip flop in opinion on Mowbray - from wanting him to stay long term on the Thursday to him potentially being sacked on Saturday -and you've refused to answer. Hypocritical much?

In fairness a lot of pro Mowbray folk are changing. I like him and the job he's done is decent, however, he's coming across as an irrational pensioner lately so perhaps it's time he claimed it.

Yes indeed the experiences at Celtic & Coventry say it all. Thanks for the immediate promotion from League I but I second the fact that Gary Bowyer was one thousand-fold better at spending transfer money(albeit small amounts ) wisely compared to Mowbray .

So they both struggle at the Championship level but Bowyer does it on a far smaller budget.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

In fairness a lot of pro Mowbray folk are changing. I like him and the job he's done is decent, however, he's coming across as an irrational pensioner lately so perhaps it's time he claimed it.

I've no problem with people changing their minds Dave, God knows I've done it enough! It's just when one is so passionately pro Mowbray and quoted as being happy with the direction the team is going and suggesting he be allowed to build a play off side changes their mind to that effect on the strength of one game he watched on a stream it should be questioned. Especially when said person continually questions others.

• Like 2

Mowbray’s philosophy of building teams is fine as long  as there is progress and it is clear the team is getting better. However it’s plain to see we are no further forward than 12 months ago and unlikely to finish the season any higher than our current position. It’s mid October and for me as far as this season is concerned we’re dead in the water. Lying on a beach in the Algarve typing this, just glad I don’t have to suffer the agony of going to Deepdale 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Dont disparage pensioners. Were not all irrational. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ossydave said:

I'm talking in the past few weeks so not sure what you're on about with needing dropping at the time, what time?

After the Preston away game last season where he was awful

8 hours ago, LDRover said:

Sorry LD, I haven't seen the questions. 

Well Didn't I explained this last Saturday about my view change on Mowbray where I said I couldn't complain if he was sack right now. I like Mowbray alot and I still a fan of his(and I hope he can turn around our form) but I want to see us promote within the next couple of seasons aswell. I was very annoyed after Saturday game against QPR and the defensively mistakes and the way we fold so easy. Yes I did watch it on a stream

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Lying on a beach in the Algarve

enjoy Jim ?