BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

If Tony goes...

If Mowbray goes...  

199 members have voted

1. 1. If Tony leaves or gets sacked who would we want in to replace him.

• Damien Johnson
    • Chris Hughton
    • David Moyes
    • Alan Pardew
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Chris Coleman
    • Gary Rowett
    • Nigel Adkins
    • Neil Harris
    • Martin O'Neill
    • Mark Hughes
    • None of the above

Goes back to the usual issues, the club has no real Blackburn based hierarchy, creating a vacuum that is easily enough manipulated by a canny manager who can extend his power base and ergo security in the role.

Who would be pulling the plug? Waggott? the bloke recommended by TM from Coventry? An administrator, not a decision maker.

TM’s just appointed his own assistant as ‘Head of Football Operations’. He’s well dug in.

The owners I assume are as hands off/oblivious as ever, so presumably Suhail is the only option (if anyone is).

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Genuinely I think being the manager of rovers is one of the best gigs going. You have a fan base that won’t really turn on you (odd grumble walking away from the ground). Owners that don’t know enough or care enough to drive high standards. But if they like you and/or your wife they’ll back you in the transfer market. You can decide for yourself what constitutes success. You have the ability to hire and/or promote your superiors. 

But you will have to fly to India once a year to sell them a dream you’re incapable of delivering and possible might have to bamboozle them with reasons you failed to deliver precious self set targets. 

Change needs to happen now. We are only 3/4 points off the relegation spots and it is difficult to see where the next points are coming from. One thing for sure is that under TM we wont be picking many of them up. He might only be partially responsible for our last relegation to L1 but this one will solely be on him.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

If the manager was to leave, the sensible option is to bring Johnson in. Keep a little bit of consistency. Otherwise, you’re changing everything which is unnecessary and expensive.

The whole first team needs overhauling. Unfit, can't defend, no tactics, poor goalkeeping basics. I'm struggling to think of a reason not to bring in a fresh set up other than they've bought Johnty a new iPad.

Just now, Pedro said:

The whole first team needs overhauling. Unfit, can't defend, no tactics, poor goalkeeping basics. I'm struggling to think of a reason not to bring in a fresh set up other than they've bought Johnty a new iPad.

I agree, a new manager with his own team and ideas. 

I would like Johnson to remain at the club in some capacity though.

Just now, davulsukur said:

I agree, a new manager with his own team and ideas. 

I would like Johnson to remain at the club in some capacity though.

Yeah, me too. My parents go to all of the U23's games and they spoke really highly of the team and style.  

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Why is it unnecessary? 

I don’t think we need, or can afford wholesale changes. The first XI is good enough to challenge for the top 6 imo. The problem lies in the managers seeming inability to find the formula and his best team. The failure to adequately improve the defence is also coming back to bite him as are the impotent performances of Gally and Brereton. 

Either way, if this or the next manager can re-invigor the team, improve the defence and get the best out of Gally and Brereton then we won’t be far off.

• Like 1

I don’t think we need, or can afford wholesale changes. The first XI is good enough to challenge for the top 6 imo. The problem lies in the managers seeming inability to find the formula and his best team. The failure to adequately improve the defence is also coming back to bite him as are the impotent performances of Gally and Brereton. 

Either way, if this or the next manager can re-invigor the team, improve the defence and get the best out of Gally and Brereton then we won’t be far off.

Don’t think our squad is top 6 actually, mainly due to a howling defence and strikers that don’t score. We have two top 6 players in dack and holtby, sadly travis has fell off a cliff performance wise

We dont want consistency with the current set up, its grown stagnant, we need a new way of thinking.

I cant agree with the sentence "The first XI is good enough to challenge for the top 6 imo" something I disagreed with to @JoeH albeit I think he said top 10. Its a myth that our team is as good as people say, albeit that is very much down to the managers recruitment.

Looking at it, Walton is to be quite generous, a bottom 6 quality goalkeeper. I can see why he didnt even maintain his number 1 shirt for the full season at Wigan last year. Defensively, at centre backs we are no better, the 2 that played yesterday are certainly not top half quality, and Lenihan isnt much better plus is constantly injured. A repeated area of neglect at the club. Cunningham I think you could argue is top 6 quality but is unfortunately a write off with injury, leaving Bell and Bennett at full back who I would argue in their respective positions are bottom 3 quality, really poor. Nyambe is a little better but I suspect will be dropped shortly for Bell.

In midfield, I think people at times slightly overstate Travis' ability. A very good prospect and a key player but hes not a patch on genuine top 6 central midfielders of his ilk, Kalvin Phillips, Ben Pearson etc. Maybe in time he will get there and stamp his authority more on games. Johnson has been a huge disappointment, seemingly has fallen well away from  his Norwich days. Downing for all of his technical ability I don't think stamps his authority on games enough or has enough tangible impact. Holtby could potentially be of that quality, but obviously we have only seen him have one start for us, but he needs to return as soon as possible. Rothwell is an enigma in terms of the usage of him, has to be playing games but not sure we have seen enough to be sure he is top 6 quality, but that may be more down to the manager.

Up top, Dack as a 10 is certainly top 6 level, you look at his numbers. With Graham seemingly written off, Gallagher, Brereton and Samuel would probably not get in any other team in the division, and Armstrong flatters to deceive 9 times out of 10.

• Like 5

Give it Tony Pulis to the end of the season. He would put discipline and organisation into a haphazard squad. Give him a good wage to take it. He would at least guarantee survival which is the best we can aim for now.

Relegation would be a disaster and is not worth gambling with to save a few quid and experiment.

Spend the next couple of months thinking it through and talking to people about starting in the summer and a fresh clean sweep of staff. My choice would be agreeing a contract with Mick McCarthy who is stepping down from Ireland next summer. Failing that then Carvalhal, Karanka, Garcia - plenty to go at.

Mowbray wont be going anywhere until it is too late. Venkys will not sack him even if we get relegated. 

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

Give it Tony Pulis to the end of the season. He would put discipline and organisation into a haphazard squad. Give him a good wage to take it. He would at least guarantee survival which is the best we can aim for now.

Relegation would be a disaster and is not worth gambling with to save a few quid and experiment.

Spend the next couple of months thinking it through and talking to people about starting in the summer and a fresh clean sweep of staff. My choice would be agreeing a contract with Mick McCarthy who is stepping down from Ireland next summer. Failing that then Carvalhal, Karanka, Garcia - plenty to go at.

Mowbray wont be going anywhere until it is too late. Venkys will not sack him even if we get relegated. 

Yes they will he’s not bullet proof, he’ll get potted if we end up in the bottom 3, it will be like Coyle again. It will happen January time can’t see them doing anything before then