BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Huddersfield - Saturday Lunch for Sky

3 hours ago, sabino said:

Bennett had a good game against Millwall, not great, good.

He was still booed by some fans in the BBE before, during and after the game. They paid no attention to what he did. They cheered when he got injured (both times).

So I have no doubt how they will treat him tomorrow. And Bell.

I've never heard any booing against Bennett in the Blackburn End.

Edited by Hasta

49 minutes ago, DE. said:

If he wasn't useless? Terrible at football? Scared to tackle? Positionally atrocious? No, probably wouldn't get as much stick if that was the case. Unfortunately all true and nothing to do with his skin colour, he just isn't Championship standard.

This criticism of players is really getting out of hand. By the time a player reaches the Football League he has been approved by all sorts of men who know the game. If you want to take Bell's case Uwe Rosler I'm sure would be happy to point out his qualities. He was also the subject of a bid by Neil Warnock and Steve Bruce, Alan Irvine and Harry Redknapp had him extensively watched. Are you honestly trying to tell me that they would have bothered with a useless player who is terrible at football. He was voted to a Division One team of the year. If you want to make the point that he is not performing to these standards, fair enough but sweeping derogatory remarks scarcely raise the level of debate.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, The Axe said:

This criticism of players is really getting out of hand. By the time a player reaches the Football League he has been approved by all sorts of men who know the game. If you want to take Bell's case Uwe Rosler I'm sure would be happy to point out his qualities. He was also the subject of a bid by Neil Warnock and Steve Bruce, Alan Irvine and Harry Redknapp had him extensively watched. Are you honestly trying to tell me that they would have bothered with a useless player who is terrible at football. He was voted to a Division One team of the year. If you want to make the point that he is not performing to these standards, fair enough but sweeping derogatory remarks scarcely raise the level of debate.

Obviously it was in the context of the level we are playing at. To be honest I didn't think that would need to be specified but just for clarity I am referring to Amar'i Bell playing for Blackburn Rovers in the Championship. I'm sure he's fine at L1 or L2 level but that isn't yet where we are playing our trade. 

Just now, DE. said:

Obviously it was in the context of the level we are playing at. To be honest I didn't think that would need to be specified but just for clarity I am referring to Amar'i Bell playing for Blackburn Rovers in the Championship. I'm sure he's fine at L1 or L2 level but that isn't yet where we are playing our trade. 

So League 1 & 2 sides can get by with useless, terrible footballers.

• Backroom
Just now, The Axe said:

There's a huge difference between the Championship and League 1/2 nowadays, so a terrible footballer at this level could certainly do a job at League 1/2 level. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Axe said:

So if you are saying Bell must be a great player, then the blame must lie with our coaching staff for him being an undeveloped shadow of his former promising talent ?

It has to be one or the other because he really isn't up to this standard.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Come off it ODB, social media is a cesspit, largely faceless idiots trying to stir up tension, it in no way reflects our fan base.

Aye but this  one was a fan wasn’t he? It was posted that we hadn’t a problem at this club. Every club has a few idiots and if we ignore it we’re no better than that Bulgaria manager. 

For me, Bell seems to take a lot of blame for our collectively shocking defence. He isn’t great by any stretch of the imagination, but neither are Bennett at right back, Lenihan, Williams or Walton. Losing Cunningham is a massive blow, and without him, and the continued exclusion of Nyambe I think our defence is down there with the worst in the division. Cobbled together with midfielders, loanees and cheap players, it’s hardly surprising. Bell isn’t some weak link in an otherwise tight unit, he’s about on a par with those around him.

Just now, Miller11 said:

For me, Bell seems to take a lot of blame for our collectively shocking defence. He isn’t great by any stretch of the imagination, but neither are Bennett at right back, Lenihan, Williams or Walton. Losing Cunningham is a massive blow, and without him, and the continued exclusion of Nyambe I think our defence is down there with the worst in the division. Cobbled together with midfielders, loanees and cheap players, it’s hardly surprising. Bell isn’t some weak link in an otherwise tight unit, he’s about on a par with those around him.

Can you remember a time our defence hasn't come under scrutiny?

There is no appetite for defensive signings. Liverpool have shown that when you put together a good defence the rest of the team falls into place. Attackers aren't under pressure to score 3 every game, although with a very good defence they do tend to be more likely to do so anyway.

If the promotion of Mark Venus, or whatever it is, then I only hope he presses the need for defensive reinforcements. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

There is no appetite for defensive signings. Liverpool have shown that when you put together a good defence the rest of the team falls into place. Attackers aren't under pressure to score 3 every game, although with a very good defence they do tend to be more likely to do so anyway.

If the promotion of Mark Venus, or whatever it is, then I only hope he presses the need for defensive reinforcements. 

Management issue: the defence is not fit for purpose.

This has been a problem for several transfer windows.TM said emphatically that he, himself,  knew it was a significant problem.

It has not been addressed.

• Like 3

Just now, Miller11 said:

Watch the QPR goals back and watch what Bell is doing (ball watching / walking / zero effort / not giving a toss) when each goal is scored.

This is a bloke who just got his chance to get back in the team, show his worth and keep his place... No thanks.

Agreed that Bennett is also poor. All the goals originated from his position and him being out of it. However, tbf Bennett is a midfielder playing out of position and Bell is supposed to be playing in his own position.

I keep reading that Bell is a crap defender but good going forward. Sorry but he is a defender so first and foremost, that is his job and he doesn't do it.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

1980 -1995.

They did buy Dann under kean and made a couple million when they sold him. Not to sure if there are any bigger money signings they have sold, that have made profit. 

What did we sell Rhodes for, profit wise? 

Be quite funny if they have actually made more money from defender sales than attaching ones. 

I really don't think Vs are the problem with the lack of defensive investment i'd more point the finger at those who advise and those who get to spend.  

In this tenure there is very much a flavour of jobs for the boys in terms of Mowbray throwing millions up front but still not getting in an able goal scoring replacement for Graham.  Not sure where Brereton fits in that but i bet there is some sort of connection somewhere, the other two and the money it costs for Downings contract if you want to chuck him in do fit.

I think the defensive berths were possibly seen as a set of positions to grow players to sell.  When you are looking at Nyambe, Lenihen, the signing of Bell and yes even Delboy.   All cost virtually nothing and all a big chance of being worth good sale money IF it worked out, sadly it hasn't so time for a serious rethink.

With Mulgrew being the old head in there they were all good enough for lge 1 though so that probably influenced trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear back at this level.

Edited by tomphil

Just now, Maji said:

They did buy Dann under kean and made a couple million when they sold him. Not to sure if there are any bigger money signings they have sold, that have made profit. 

What did we sell Rhodes for, profit wise? 

Be quite funny if they have actually made more money from defender sales than attaching ones. 

We sold Dann at a loss.

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Management issue: the defence is not fit for purpose.

This has been a problem for several transfer windows.TM said emphatically that he, himself,  knew it was a significant problem.

It has not been addressed.

Why hasn't it been addressed though? I, for one, certainly don't believe Mowbray had that press conference with no intention of actually addressing the problem.

To find who is to "blame" you need inside knowledge: did we set defensive targets and not meet them or, and more likely imo, after the budget was given to Mowbray was there a caveat in which said "use this for attackers". We have never, ever invested heavily in our defence since Venkys have owned us. It's a problem that spans managers and it's hurt us more than once. I don't think any manager, not least one of Mowbray's experience, would have looked at last season and not at least attempted to buy a defender. We went after one and then that was that - it seems like the men who hit the green light on transfers had emphatically told Mowbray there is no room for defensive investments.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Don’t agree. Lenihan and Williams are ok Championship players.

Bell is not good enough for this level.

Interesting. 
Technically and in pure footballing terms Bell is far better than both of them.  I think he’s been labelled a defender when in reality he’s more useful as an attacking left sided player.  My view is that he could play elsewhere in this team or any other team .  Williams and Lenihan are simple hoofers without much speed or technical ability, yet they both play in our team. Mowbray all over

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

So if you are saying Bell must be a great player, then the blame must lie with our coaching staff for him being an undeveloped shadow of his former promising talent ?

It has to be one or the other because he really isn't up to this standard.

When exactly did I say that Bell was a great player.