BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Huddersfield - Saturday Lunch for Sky

Just now, The Axe said:

When exactly did I say that Bell was a great player.

2 hours ago, The Axe said:

This criticism of players is really getting out of hand. By the time a player reaches the Football League he has been approved by all sorts of men who know the game.

If you want to take Bell's case Uwe Rosler I'm sure would be happy to point out his qualities. He was also the subject of a bid by Neil Warnock and Steve Bruce, Alan Irvine and Harry Redknapp had him extensively watched. Are you honestly trying to tell me that they would have bothered with a useless player who is terrible at football.

He was voted to a Division One team of the year. 

"great" was an embellishment but you suggest he must have once been a good player or at least a promising talent before he arrived here.

Edited by OldEwoodBlue

37 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Interesting. 
Technically and in pure footballing terms Bell is far better than both of them.  I think he’s been labelled a defender when in reality he’s more useful as an attacking left sided player.  My view is that he could play elsewhere in this team or any other team .  Williams and Lenihan are simple hoofers without much speed or technical ability, yet they both play in our team. Mowbray all over

When has he shown any usefulness going forward?

Can't  see us winning  tomorrow  Huddersfield are a crap team but if i was there manager tomorrow  i would Target Bennett  and play a high pressing game and bully the Rovers from the get go . First ten minutes  tomorrow  are so important Rovers will come out of the blocks and if they don't get a goal early doors. It will just become  a bore draw or a one nil to Huddersfield  hope im wrong

8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

When has he shown any usefulness going forward?

I’ve seen him score a couple from wide, I don’t remember Bennett scoring.  I just think that if he’s given no defensive responsibility and told to get forward I think there’s something there.  Just my opinion and before he came here was expected to kick on a bit. Miwbrays shit management and poor backroom team

I work in Thornton Cleveleys with a few Fleetwood fans and they're all of the opinion that Bell was a poor left back but a good left wing back when he played for them. They were unanimous in saying he isn't good enough in either position for Championship level.

54 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

"great" was an embellishment but you suggest he must have once been a good player or at least a promising talent before he arrived here.

I made no comment on Bell's ability but pointed out that a number of men who know far more about football than I do rated him sufficiently for him not to be classed as a useless player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Axe said:

I made no comment on Bell's ability but pointed out that a number of men who know far more about football than I do rated him sufficiently for him not to be classed as a useless player.

Academic. We've got a good squad with a manager who doesn't know where to play them.

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I’ve seen him score a couple from wide, I don’t remember Bennett scoring.  I just think that if he’s given no defensive responsibility and told to get forward I think there’s something there.  Just my opinion and before he came here was expected to kick on a bit. Miwbrays shit management and poor backroom team

No no no, you got called out for a ridiculous statement saying that bell was good going forward. And now appear to be backtracking and somehow it's Mowbrays fault. Bell was playing well when we were in league one for Fleetwood and bought him for peanuts, it hasn't worked out for him in the championship simple. 

Just now, Roverinbelfast said:

No no no, you got called out for a ridiculous statement saying that bell was good going forward. And now appear to be backtracking and somehow it's Mowbrays fault. Bell was playing well when we were in league one for Fleetwood and bought him for peanuts, it hasn't worked out for him in the championship simple. 

In your opinion it’s a ridiculous s statement.  He will move on and prosper under a better manager 

1 hour ago, MCMC1875 said:

Academic. We've got a good squad with a manager who doesn't know where to play them.

We have a better squad than results and performances suggest but its a very unbalanced squad. I'd call it a collection of players rather than a squad.

TM's successor will have to have a big clear-out and serious money spent on the defence.

The squad is so big because TM wants to play around with it every week! I think he's been indulged too long.

We need a trimmed down squad with  2 able players for every position + perhaps 4 more, everyone clear what their job is and the best 11 picked every week.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Why hasn't it been addressed though? I, for one, certainly don't believe Mowbray had that press conference with no intention of actually addressing the problem.

To find who is to "blame" you need inside knowledge: did we set defensive targets and not meet them or, and more likely imo, after the budget was given to Mowbray was there a caveat in which said "use this for attackers". We have never, ever invested heavily in our defence since Venkys have owned us. It's a problem that spans managers and it's hurt us more than once. I don't think any manager, not least one of Mowbray's experience, would have looked at last season and not at least attempted to buy a defender. We went after one and then that was that - it seems like the men who hit the green light on transfers had emphatically told Mowbray there is no room for defensive investments.

Aye but TM does have form for this wherever he has gone.

I too have harbored thoughts of the lack of defensive reinforcements since the clowns rocked up might not be a coincidence but when you read that TM did exactly the same thing in many of his previous jobs, it does make you wonder.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Amo said:

I reckon the Tombola will pick: Walton; Bennett, Tosin, Williams, Bell; Travis, Johnson, Downing, Armstrong; Dack, Gallagher

I agree that will be the team. Although I disagree with it. I would go with...

Walton

Nyambe Toshin Williams

Johnson

Bennett Holtby Dack Downing

Graham  Armstrong

45 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

I agree that will be the team. Although I disagree with it. I would go with...

Walton

Nyambe Toshin Williams

Johnson

Bennett Holtby Dack Downing

Graham  Armstrong

No Travis or Rothwell? 

1 hour ago, Amo said:

I reckon the Tombola will pick: Walton; Bennett, Tosin, Williams, Bell; Travis, Johnson, Downing, Armstrong; Dack, Gallagher

The tombola doesnt have many balls left in it so we might all have a chance of guessing the team right this time.