BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Huddersfield - Saturday Lunch for Sky

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Johnson looked out of it well before halftime.

Yep. Called it when we signed the guy that he would gas early in the second half. Why on earth was it not he instead of Travis that was replaced?!

As an aside, Nyambe made an absolute fool of Mowbray today. Lovely to see. No doubt though he'll be out when Bell is fit, with his son in law back in at RB.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 5

I haven't read everyone comments or even seen the goals but my thoughts are:-

Thought we played some excellent play today, Some good movement and short passing. Rovers played 4-2-3-1 with Armstrong as the main striker but he just didn't stay centre but use his movement

Holtby and Downing was different class. Johnson and Tosin a liability.

Nyambe did ok but just imagine if we had got Sam Byram as I wanted in the summer.  

Felt after they scored we struggle after/. I didn't understand why he took Holtby off or to bring on Gallagher. I would bought on Rankin Costello instead. Moving Armstrong wide just upset the balance of the team. Poor decision. 

I don't see how Graham come have on for Downing and who would have played with Johnson in centre mid. 

25 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

A draw was probably a fair result in the end.  We had the better of the first half and played some excellent football at times.  I thought Holtby was different class and Nyambe a constant threat down the right.  Downing continues to use the ball with intelligence and we ought to make more of what he brings to the team.  I thought there was a period of 20 to 25 minutes in that first half when we played some our best football of the season.

The second half was very much in the QPR mould when we looked slow, ponderous in midfield and fragile in defence.  It was worrying how slow we looked over the final stages and when Huddersfield equalised our confidence seemed to drain away.  At the moment our confidence is very fragile both individually and as a team.

There is a lot of work for Mowbray to do and hopefully he can turn it around over the coming weeks.

Can’t you see the contradictions?

Nyambe, for instance, will be dropped again as soon as Lenihan is fit.

We are treading water under Mowbray. Because of Mowbray. His lack of consistency is the source of our problems, and this translates to a lack of consistency on the pitch.

Our players don’t believe in themselves because of the lack of belief Mowbray instils. You can’t keep rotating the midfield to keep everyone happy.

Sadly, we will need to be deep in the relegation mire before any change will be made. Just like we were under Coyle.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Thought we played some excellent play today, Some good movement and short passing. Rovers played 4-2-3-1 with Armstrong as the main striker but he just didn't stay centre but use his movement

Nyambe did ok but just imagine if we had got Sam Byram as I wanted in the summer.  

Felt after they scored we struggle after/. I didn't understand why he took Holtby off or to bring on Gallagher. I would bought on Rankin Costello instead. Moving Armstrong wide just upset the balance of the team. Poor decision. 

I don't see how Graham come have on for Downing and who would have played with Johnson in centre mid. 

Nyambe was great today. Don't think Byram would have been much of an upgrade at all.

Tosin looked calm and carried the ball out well. Can't think of an occasion he looked troubled.

• Like 4

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

How many instances of him getting completely rinsed by the opposition winger?  Feckin none mate.  You are focusing on his attacking qualities for some reason.

Nyambe shits all over Bennett defensively and in my opinion is a much better attacker anyway. So, there’s no comparison at all, Mowbray isn’t doing what’s best for the club so I want him out.

Huddersfield were attacking Bennet's side much more. That's what I meant.

Nyambe had an easier game from a defensive point of view and Mowbrays instructions curb his attacking ambitions.

I too prefer Nyambe at RB and have expressed my views on Bennett and his limitations many times.

58 minutes ago, Stuart said:

And you’ve not even mentioned the worse bit. Bringing on Evans! The silence spoke volumes. The crowd is going to turn soon.

Cant believe with 23 minutes left we didn’t bring Graham on.

I don’t see where the wins are coming from. I wouldn’t trust Mowbray to address our shortcomings in the January window, and right now I’m even more fearful of falling into a relegation battle.

I don't think we tried to win the game in the 2nd half ...

That is where the problem lays , we cannot defend , get the impression the manager disagrees ....

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Johnson looked out of it well before halftime. Dack virtually invisible 2nd half, fatigue maybe but our better players being removed by Mowbray doesn't help and he had scored and assisted by then anyway.

Walton is poor and Gallagher, well, a footballer he is not.

Armstrong as a CF? I may as well piss into the wind.

Referee - I often wonder what satisfaction they get out of a job they do so poorly. I do not fault him on the penalty, it was harsh but Bennett did have a couple of nibbles at the diving Hudds player. 

Fatigue my arse, they’ve all just been on their holidays!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep. Called it when we signed the guy that he would gas early in the second half. Why on earth was it not he instead of Travis that was replaced?!

The only time he gasses early in the second half is when he comes on at half time :) 

I thought the performance today was better than it has been at home this season to date. It was refreshing to see a couple of goals at the Darwen End in the first half of a game (a rarity under Mowbray when you can usually put money on a 0 for us at HT). It was good to see a positive reaction to falling behind early on, albeit as a result of their defensive error. At the time I thought it looked like a penalty but believe the replay suggests it wasn't so clear cut. Either way it was about the 3rd or 4th time in the first 10 minutes that their player had beaten ours and we'd ended up fouling. 

Huddersfield skilled in the art of winning free kicks by falling over after minimal contact. Presumably part of the 'Cowley effect'. Not nice to see but it will reap its rewards with these lamentable officials. I fear we are too decent and honest and don't try similar tricks ourselves in games.

In the end a poor and disappointing result against a side with the worst or one of the worst away records in England and in the bottom 3 of the division. In any circumstances you need to be beating them, but having scored twice, done the hard work in recovering from a goal behind to concede in the manner we did and only get a point is extremely disappointing. 

I'm afraid 'playing good stuff' and having possession and a couple of decent chances against a side like Huddersfield at home doesn't constitute success in my book. I want to see us at the least banging the door down in those last 20 minutes to get a winner yet there wasn't enough there. We don't look in any shape or form like a 'win at all costs' team which you need to be in these sort of games if you are going to get anywhere.

Baffling substitutions as ever but I've given up trying to see the logic now. I firmly believe Mowbray is simply trying to keep everyone happy with game time. 

Results elsewhere do us no favours. Stoke on a revival (as they were always going to do). Luton hammered Bristol City. Reading won. Brentford an astonishing comeback win we can only dream of seeing. Need wins quickly or we'll be down there by Christmas.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Screenshot_20191019-180948_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20191019-181000_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20191019-181010_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last one sums it up best. Similar shots stats. We can have all the possession and passing accuracy we like, but the shots still being even in spite of this shows that we get penetrated much more easily than we penetrate.

Feel free to make lewd jokes about that of course guys.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Tosin oozed class throughout when on the ball, always looking for feet rather than lumping it up to our vertically challenged forward line, like Lenihan would have done. 

• Like 4

What a lovely, intelligent footballer Holtby is. Keep picking him, Tony.

Bennett at left back???  He played better than Bell would have done IMO.

Nyambe has got to keep his place. First Rover to get to the by-line several times for ages.

Adarabioyo played very well. Keep him in, Tony.

Kudos to Dack who had the chance to shoot but passed it across to Holtby to score. I love watching a team game.

I forecast a defeat. We should have won but I'll settle for the point.

Edited by bazza
  • Like 3

I thought we played well for the period between scoring our first and half time...that was about it really. The referee didn't help with his intent to be centre stage for the SKY cameras, missing a foul for us in the build up to their equaliser being his biggest crime. Our biggest crime was short corners and not reacting to the fact that their main weapon was playing on the break. I understand wanting to change the angle etc etc but a short corner that goes wrong leads to a quicker break than a conventional corner, as we saw for 0-1. I'm not rating our chances at Brum on Tuesday