BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Huddersfield - Saturday Lunch for Sky

Just now, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

Tosin oozed class throughout when on the ball, always looking for feet rather than lumping it up to our vertically challenged forward line, like Lenihan would have done. 

Mixed views on Tosin. At first was critical of his arms apart moaning but then again maybe its a much needed wakeup call for the rest of the back line. Still scares me when he's calling for a back pass close to our open goal.  

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

Mixed views on Tosin. At first was critical of his arms apart moaning but then again maybe its a much needed wakeup call for the rest of the back line. Still scares me when he's calling for a back pass close to our open goal.  

You can almost feel his anger when Walton wants to kick it long. A Pep graduate he most certainly is. 

• Like 1

Before the game given our lack of defenders and the recent up surge of our opponents I would have taken a draw. I suppose I still think a draw was a fair result. We started off in our usual easy peasy style and before we'd really got going we fell behind to what I can only describe as a real joke of a penalty. The Hudds forward decided nothing ventured, nothing gained and just threw himself down full length after the most innocuous tangle on the byeline with Bennett. The referee, obviously listening to the heavenly voices in his head, decide it was worthy of a pen.

I don't know who is more to blame for killing our great game, the refs or the divers ? But make no mistake they will kill it as spectacle that  I, and people like me, will want to watch.

After that we naturally looked a bit shaken but gradually worked our way back into the game. Hudds seemed not to know what to do after being gifted a 1 goal lead, it seemed as though it was a new experience for them !

A really neat move down the left resulted in a low cross that Holtby tucked away easily. This was shortly followed by another nice move which culminated in Dack threading the eye of the needle between outstretched goalkeeper's left hand and the far post for a well worked second goal. It was all Rovers at this point and it stayed that way until half time with Hudds looking a well beaten, demoralised, side.

Obviously Mowbray had given them the usual half time cup of Horlicks and Valium because we came out as though we'd just been in a deep sleep. Hudds pushed us up the pitch 10 yards, gambling that our relative lack of pace up front couldn't hurt them, and they started to compress play. They also decided that the best way to counter to our walking football was to try a bit of running football themselves and before you knew it they had the upper hand and Rovers were looking rattled. A throw of the dice with a sub forward put us under more pressure and shortly afterwards the sub muscled his way through an ineffectual pack of Rovers defenders to scuff a weak shot past a sleepy Walton for an equaliser.

After that the game basically petered out to nothingness as our games usually do. They was no sign of a winner from Rovers inspite of 3 subs coming on, We'd racked our cue for the day. We could really do with another holiday as this football lark can be really tiring at times.

Just a few random thoughts - We won't get out of this league playing walking football in the next 50 years. We haven't got the ball players to make this work. To get out of this league you have got to be more dynamic and play at a higher tempo, more balls in the box and more players in the box. Playing a semi dwarf ( apologies to any dwarves reading this ) leading the attack just won't work I'm afraid. I've been there ( 5ft 8inches, 10 stone ) and it just doesn't work.

We're too easily outmuscled and we don't win enough contested headers, tackles, second balls. etc. Nothing new to report there though, it's been like that for years. We lack pace all over the team. Raya would have thrown his cap on their second goal and saved it.

Hands up who thought we'd go on to win the game after the score went to 2-2 ?

Scores.

Walton 5, Not nearly good enough for me.

Ryambe 7, Bags of energy and athleticism, got up and down the flank really well. Not a great deal of end product but he's our best right back off todays showing.

Tosin 7, Looked a good player on the ball, got his head onto most things, however he does seem a bit too casual on the ball at times. He doesn't look robust enough for a centre half but neither did Chris Samba at first.

Williams 6, Did OK for me, he's better in the middle.

Bennett 6, Got a raw deal off the ref for the pen. After a shaky start I thought he did OK inspite of playing in a position that was completely new to him. 

Holtby 7, I like the look of this lad but he's not a wide player. Came inside to take his goal well.

Travis 6, Put himself about a lot but his passing and shooting is hit and miss. Got booked for a nothing tackle.

Johnson 5, Not mobile enough for that role. Should have been subbed early on.

Downing 6, Did Ok but a team of Downing's won't win you anything. Drifts in and out of the game. A bit of a luxury player.

Dack 6, Took his goal well but disappeared in the second half.

Armstrong 5, Never really in the game. leading the line on his own in home games is not his forte. No strength or aggression. Having said that the service he got was pretty poor.

Subs. Gallagher 4, Ineffectual. Rothwell 5, Got tripped, took a shocking corner, that's about it really. Evans, 4 Why Tony,  why ?

I don't normally comment on refs but this guy had a shocker. He got loads wrong for both teams.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

Seems like I’m the only person who thought Nyambe’s defending as the last man for their second was abysmal.

Familiar pattern to this Rovers team, plenty of possession where it doesn’t matter, predictable passing, very little pressure put on the opposing keeper. Mid-table written all over it.

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Seems like I’m the only person who thought Nyambe’s defending as the last man for their second was abysmal.

Familiar pattern to this Rovers team, plenty of possession where it doesn’t matter, predictable passing, very little pressure put on the opposing keeper. Mid-table written all over it.

You're being very ambitious. 

Anyone who doesnt wear blue and white to bed, knows that it was the same old shite. Couldnt care less if we had a good 15 minute spell, the game is 90 minutes. Same frailties, same out of position players, same shitty tactics, same lack of fitness, same lack of desire to go for a winner. All nonsense under tony as per.

• Like 2

On the game

Nothing to add to what you have all said really.

Tosin quality but mustn’t be too ambitious with that forward ball which can be stolen.

Team fitness certainly looked an issue late on.

A conspiracy theorist would suggest Mowbray likes mid-table mediocrity to keep the gravy train going. £12 million wasted – a championship club like us simply cannot do that. Sackable offence in its own right.

Just on the ref. Not bothered about the fact that he was poor but minded to make a comparison with the rugby (England v Aussies) earlier on today. In that game, the ref is of course miked up so we can hear the conversation with the players and the reasoning for decisions plus of course the TMO on screen for the fans. Can you imagine miking up the ref and players in a footy game? LOL. I’ve seen players scream in the face of a lino (“you c***) for a throw-in not going their way (even when it was obvious the official got the decision right).

PS bazza –it was Dack.

• Like 1

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

I could blame a few for their second goal.

Just now, aletheia said:

On the game

Tosin quality but mustn’t be too ambitious with that forward ball which can be stolen.

A conspiracy theorist would suggest Mowbray likes mid-table mediocrity to keep the gravy train going. £12 million wasted – a championship club like us simply cannot do that. Sackable offence in its own right.

Just on the ref. Not bothered about the fact that he was poor but minded to make a comparison with the rugby (England v Aussies) earlier on today. In that game, the ref is of course miked up so we can hear the conversation with the players and the reasoning for decisions plus of course the TMO on screen for the fans. Can you imagine miking up the ref and players in a footy game? LOL. I’ve seen players scream in the face of a lino (“you c***) for a throw-in not going their way (even when it was obvious the official got the decision right).

PS bazza –it was Dack.

They did it once with David Ellary back in the late 80s. Tony Adams was at him all match and was booked for it. I'd love to hear the refs thought process for some of his decisions today! 

I had another bad day with my "imaginary" Booing of El Capitano.

They were at him all game. No matter what he did. In the 1st half he got a talking to from the ref for clattering the winger. They decided to shout to the ref to send him off! They even said they'd rather play with 10 men.

As an aside, before the game my son and I were talking with 2 away fans outside McD's. I said we were a bit weak down our left today. They laughed and said that all their play comes up their right and that our right side would get away with murder.

I think they got it spot on.

24 minutes ago, sabino said:

I had another bad day with my "imaginary" Booing of El Capitano.

They were at him all game. No matter what he did. In the 1st half he got a talking to from the ref for clattering the winger. They decided to shout to the ref to send him off! They even said they'd rather play with 10 men.

As an aside, before the game my son and I were talking with 2 away fans outside McD's. I said we were a bit weak down our left today. They laughed and said that all their play comes up their right and that our right side would get away with murder.

I think they got it spot on.

I thought Bennett stuck to his task well. The pen was harsh in the extreme. He got run a couple of times early on but after about 20 minutes that winger took no further part in the game. He's got a nice line in falling over though.

I'd never boo an individual Rovers player at the game. I'll criticise them on here but they don't have to come on here. I'd rather have Bennett at left back than Bell or Hart,or Williams come to that.

• Like 4

Another throwing away of points and proof that our neglected defence will continue to stunt us. For much of the first half we were much better, but more dropped points and poor second half.

Bennett had a torrid game at left back, but he has to play somewhere for some reason. Walton is also not good enough, pathetic for their second, no better than Raya.

Holtby absolutely superb and shouldnt have been taken off, him and Dack together were very impressive. 

Nyambe was a big improvement at right back, but will no doubt be undeservedly dropped when Bell is back and Bennett can revert back to right back. 

Adarabioyo is an interesting one. Passing out in the main was excellent, but I am totally unconvinced by his potential ability to cope with physicality. Seems laid back and flimsy. Williams as always is nothing more than a lower half defender at this level.

Downing very economical on the ball, Armstrong very average, Travis walking on eggshells after a booking but otherwise fine, Johnson a total enigma. One superb pass, one superb cross, and a few other bits and pieces that impressed. But often they got in behind him, and as always, he often needlessly surrendered possession.

Gallagher as per usual proving that he is a waste of valuable money. Evans the perfect man to bring on when you need a goal with 10 minutes to go. We never threaten or show any urgency when we need a goal near the end, not good enough.

• Like 1

Once again it could be all so different 

Back end of that first half we played well, it was simple really, keep it up second half and pan them, they were totally on the racks

Alas

Its rovers

Usual balls up of a second half, soft goal, pissed off fans, again.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

And why did they do that?

We'll never get anywhere with Bennett in the side, this is a very tight League and to have any hope of succeeding you need every single player pulling their finger out and producing something worthwhile. You can't afford any passengers or players that are way below the standard required. He's the new Jason Lowe, one of the worst players you've ever seen in a Rovers shirt but seemingly mysteriously unstoppable in the manager's eyes.

Mind you,  I think it's obvious we'll never get anywhere with Mowbray in charge either. The comment from a poster above about him liking mid table mediocrity to keep the gravy train going resonated very strongly with me.

• Like 3

Not game related but want to get this one off my chest.

I'm a BBNend ST holder and have been for many decades yet today I was asked to show my ST "....to ensure I wasn't going in the wrong turnstile….". There was no queue, no trouble yet I was stopped in my tracks and checked if I was going in the right gate, same gate since ground re built.

Rant over.

2 hours ago, aletheia said:

On the game

PS bazza –it was Dack.

Re the rugby, the ref actually over-ruled the VAR over a forward pass and got it right!!."It was obviously a forward pass" the mike picked up! Brilliant!

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Back end of that first half we played well, it was simple really, keep it up second half and pan them, they were totally on the racks

Alas

Its rovers

We give it our usual good half an hour. Let's not get too greedy.

• Like 2

We are a frustrating team. We have a very technically strong team for this level who play good football when on song. Downing, Holtby, Dack can all really play, and I think Armstrong is better than people give him credit for. 

But we lack consistency, heart and desire. We always look like we can concede soft goals and frequently do, even if the opposition aren't creating chances. It's been like that for a long long time now.

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Alas

Its rovers

You would have to think fitness was an issue wouldn't you? For a long time now we have regularly conceded late goals and we never have anything like a rousing finale.

As others have said, if we are 1 down with 10 minutes to go you might as well go home. The game just fizzles out, we never get a late winner.

Other teams perform very differently. Something basic very wrong here.

• Like 3