BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Huddersfield - Saturday Lunch for Sky

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

We are a frustrating team. We have a very technically strong team for this level who play good football when on song. Downing, Holtby, Dack can all really play, and I think Armstrong is better than people give him credit for. 

But we lack consistency, heart and desire. We always look like we can concede soft goals and frequently do, even if the opposition aren't creating chances. It's been like that for a long long time now.

Good teams don't beat themselves, We beat ourselves frequently. The conceding of soft goals is a speciality. That shot that flew of William's boot and only just cleared cross bar could have easily been No 3.

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

You would have to think fitness was an issue wouldn't you? For a long time now we have regularly conceded late goals and we never have anything like a rousing finale.

As others have said, if we are 1 down with 10 minutes to go you might as well go home. The game just fizzles out, we never get a late winner.

Other teams perform very differently. Something basic very wrong here.

You're dead right. Players come and go, managers come and go but the lack of desire, commitment, effort, self belief is always with us.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

We are a frustrating team. We have a very technically strong team for this level who play good football when on song. Downing, Holtby, Dack can all really play, and I think Armstrong is better than people give him credit for. 

But we lack consistency, heart and desire. We always look like we can concede soft goals and frequently do, even if the opposition aren't creating chances. It's been like that for a long long time now.

We also took off three of those four by the end. The manager is the problem.

Attacking-wise, the main thing we are short of (aside from the correct selection) is a goalscoring striker. Failing to land one is also the manager's fault.

• Like 2

Surprised that people didn’t think Armstrong had a good game. I thought he played well first half and caused problems. Second half was ineffective when shunted out wide. Dack did the square root of fuck all second half.

All of our corners were absolutely putrid.

• Like 4

Just now, 47er said:

You would have to think fitness was an issue wouldn't you? For a long time now we have regularly conceded late goals and we never have anything like a rousing finale.

As others have said, if we are 1 down with 10 minutes to go you might as well go home. The game just fizzles out, we never get a late winner.

Other teams perform very differently. Something basic very wrong here.

Yet he claims that's why players keep getting injured in training ala Samuel this week, being pushed too hard.

Sorry but I'd that's also the case get some new pissing Fitness Coaches 

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

Surprised that people didn’t think Armstrong had a good game. I thought he played well first half and caused problems. Second half was ineffective when shunted out wide. Dack did the square root of fuck all second half.

All of our corners were absolutely putrid.

He did put in a superb cross in the second half. Our 5m striker was nowhere to be seen.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Attacking-wise, the main thing we are short of (aside from the correct selection) is a goalscoring striker. Failing to land one is also the manager's fault.

Mowbrays got a good squad together through picking a fair few good players. It would be be quite possible that whoever next comes in will lack that knack. It's not easy. 

But I agree with the basic point which is that after three years he is unlikely to suddenly turn it around and address the three key weaknesses we have

1- Poor mentality

2- Poor fitness

3- Poor recruitment in key areas despite a decent budget (centreback, centre forward)

Agree that the board should be looking closely at the succession plan if they aren't already. Which they probably aren't.

My main concern is the odds are we will appoint someone worse. Which is what makes ambivalent about change.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Yes, a 20 goals a season striker would transform this team.We've paid £12M and not got one. Crazy!

Even better with an ugly, old-fashioned centre-back as well.

For that first goal, how could a lone striker with 3 defenders in the vicinity be allowed to retain possession in the 6 yard box for so long.

The ball should have been booted into Row Z!

2 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

Not game related but want to get this one off my chest.

I'm a BBNend ST holder and have been for many decades yet today I was asked to show my ST "....to ensure I wasn't going in the wrong turnstile….". There was no queue, no trouble yet I was stopped in my tracks and checked if I was going in the right gate, same gate since ground re built.

Rant over.

So

whats your point

I cant believe we’ve spent so much on strikers and none of them can score goals consistently (or at all) that as well as having the defence we have will mean results will continue to be poor. Good luck to any manager coming in after Mowbray goes, this squad is overloaded with midfielders and a lack of defenders, Samuel Brereton Gallagher Graham and Armstrong who can all play upfront and who all can’t score goals, I’m not criticising Graham as he’s been good for us but I think his time is up now. I pray to god when Mowbray eventually goes that the Chicken Farmers back his successor like they’ve backed him, Mowbray has done as much as he can now. We have the makings of a good squad but he’s had his chance to address the areas we were lacking in and he’s simply not done it, it’s inexcusable, if we got rid of him now and brought someone else in who could make a start in the January window and then finish off the job in the summer we might just have a chance next season as we do have a few quality players in our squad to build a team around, this season is done, it genuinely is. I think we’ll be looking down rather than up until next May and that is such a shame. There’s only one man to blame though, I have a lot of time for Mowbray but for me, he’s done all he can and spent a lot of money on a lot of shit. Times up TM, go out now with your head held high and let someone new take the reigns ??

• Like 1

We would be top of the league if we played like we did in the first 45 minutes. Anyone know Elliott Wards contact details as its reached that level at the back now. Big week this week, I would take 4 points from the next two if offered today.  Meanwhile, thoughts from the Bosnian Rover, a chirpy Huddersfield Town fan and the gaffa... plus me!

• J*B unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, PeteJD13 said:

I do wonder if Tony is under any pressure from Pune, same problems today and he's shown little ability to change that.  Poor subs again and poor summer recruitment coming back to bite, that said I can't see him being potted as long as we aren't bottom 3

Zero pressure.

6 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

My main concern is the odds are we will appoint someone worse. Which is what makes ambivalent about change.

This is the most chilling continuing legacy of the Venkys. Just like bowyer when we can see a guys done all he can there is the terror of what they’ll do.

For a Chris Hughton Id definitely roll the dice. But could easily be some bloke they met at a party the weekend before who claims to be the next big thing in Indian football.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stinny1 said:

Johnson legs have gone and he can't  get round midfield . What a waste of the summer transfer  window

I’m pissed off we lost, and absolutely blame TM for this one. But let’s not be silly now, Johnson was great again, he linked up brilliantly for the second goal. Himself and Travis for me are the two you can depend on in 95% of games to have a 7 and above rating.

Just now, JoeH said:

I’m pissed off we lost, and absolutely blame TM for this one. But let’s not be silly now, Johnson was great again, he linked up brilliantly for the second goal. Himself and Travis for me are the two you can depend on in 95% of games to have a 7 and above rating.

We drew ?

16 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Not going to read everyone’s views on this game.

Its ok playing pretty possession football but you need an end product, Tony we didn’t have one.

More defensive calamity defending cost us, Bennett’s incompetence and The defence backing off again.

Tonys love in with Bennett needs finishing, he is costing us dearly.

Tosin was class alongside Williams.

Armstrong and the diddymen were disjointed upfront, we needed height and guile of a centre forward someone with ounces of class TM left him on the bench.

Agree with most of this except the last bit. If we'd had played with Graham, we'd have just gone long to him because of Mowbray's tactics. What we need is when we get on the attacking third, we need players to get into the box and gamble to attack areas where we can get some efforts on target

• Moderation Lead

I can’t express how much I winced knowing we’d taken Stewart Downing off and saw Derrick Williams standing over that free kick in injury time. (Obviously Dack ultimately took it).

The substitutions yesterday were absolutely horrific.

The only one with any justification at all was Travis as he was on a booking and a second looked to be in the offing.

Edited by K-Hod

21 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I can’t express how much I winced knowing we’d taken Stewart Downing off and saw Derrick Williams standing over that free kick in injury time. (Obviously Dack ultimately took it).

The substitutions yesterday were absolutely horrific.

The only one with any justification at all was Travis as he was on a booking and a second looked to be in the offing.

Our set pieces in general are woeful and we never look like scoring from one. When we got that late free kick that Dack eventually took  No 2 son said to me " This is going into the wall ". Exactly. Big Sam's team scored a high proportion of goals from them as do lots of today's teams. Anybody remember the last time we scored a headed goal direct from a corner ? The first one that Rothwell took was a shameful attempt from a pro player. If we aren't good at attacking crosses take short corners and keep the ball. A couple of times when we'd sent both the centre halves up and a poor corner was cleared easily we were nearly caught out short at the back.

Regarding the failure to clear our lines before their second goal. We're too busy playing tip tap keep ball in our own half instead of putting our foot through the ball. I had my heart in my mouth several times when a ball from the back four to the midfield was then played blindly either back or or square without the passing player actually knowing if the pass was on. Several times the ball was then intercepted in dangerous areas. Our first goal came directly from Hudds making the same sort of  mistake.

From the fitness point of view this walking football must be more tiring than it looks because although we rarely broke into a gallop as a team we were spent with 15 minutes to go.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

15 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Take Downing off who had been whipping in some decent deliveries, a few mins later bring on Gallagher - our only non defender over 5'10. Another TM masterstroke. 

• Like 1