BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Huddersfield - Saturday Lunch for Sky

53 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Take Downing off who had been whipping in some decent deliveries, a few mins later bring on Gallagher - our only non defender over 5'10. Another TM masterstroke. 

Downing was still on the field when Gallagher came on but Downing went in midfield with Johnson. 

11 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Surprised that people didn’t think Armstrong had a good game. I thought he played well first half and caused problems. Second half was ineffective when shunted out wide. Dack did the square root of fuck all second half.

All of our corners were absolutely putrid.

I thought Armstrong had a good game as I said yesterday. I felt when he went wide he was very ineffective apart from one great cross which no one came in at the back post. Shearer would have been there siding the ball into the back of the net

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Downing was still on the field when Gallagher came on but Downing went in midfield with Johnson. 

I thought Armstrong had a good game as I said yesterday. I felt when he went wide he was very ineffective apart from one great cross which no one came in at the back post. Shearer would have been there siding the ball into the back of the net

That's because Armstrong hasn't got a football brain. He should have looked up, taken another touch,  and waited for the attacking support to actually arrive in the danger area before crossing the ball. Shearer wasn't playing yesterday.

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's because Armstrong hasn't got a football brain. He should have looked up, taken another touch,  and waited for the attacking support to actually arrive in the danger area before crossing the ball. Shearer wasn't playing yesterday.

or Gallagher, Dack or Rothwell take a gamble. Rothwell should have attacked the back post. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

or Gallagher, Dack or Rothwell take a gamble. Rothwell should have attacked the back post. 

In an ideal world that's true, but If they weren't there what was the point in crossing it to nobody in particular ? On another point I thought Dack looked sluggish at times yesterday, maybe he'd been celebrating his engagement a bit too much.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Yeah it's all well and good crossing into an area but if there's no-one in that area there's no point. On this occasion Armstrong, as he was under no pressure, only needed to hold for another second for support to arrive but he blindly crossed anyway. The lad is a head down merchant.

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, LDRover said:

Yeah it's all well and good crossing into an area but if there's no-one in that area there's no point. On this occasion Armstrong, as he was under no pressure, only needed to hold for another second for support to arrive but he blindly crossed anyway. The lad is a head down merchant.

Would agree with that, but another thing I noticed is that Downing did quite often wait for support to arrive in the area and was still left with very few options. We had literally nobody on the pitch who is renowned for scoring goals with their head, so the idea of crossing into the box seems a bit pointless unless Graham is on the pitch. 

The more times I see the 2nd Huddersfield goal the more annoyed I get at the "quality" of Walton (not his fault) and the whole Raya fiasco (100% Mowbrays fault).

Positives: Going forward I'd like to see Nyambe stick at RB, and a midfield 5 of Downing -Travis in the middle behind Holtby - Dack - Rothwell. 

Could be the makings of an exciting team... when we get an exciting manager, of course.

• Like 2

Just now, LDRover said:

We used to have a saying about head down players like Armstrong. " He dribbles when he comes to a pair of feet ".

Just now, DE. said:

Would agree with that, but another thing I noticed is that Downing did quite often wait for support to arrive in the area and was still left with very few options. We had literally nobody on the pitch who is renowned for scoring goals with their head, so the idea of crossing into the box seems a bit pointless unless Graham is on the pitch. 

Spot on. Nyambe several times went on the overlap but had to turn back especially in the first half. Dack is the only one who attacks in the box. He nearly got on the end of Armstrong dragged shot in the second half but none of our forwards bust a gut to get int the box when theyve been involved in build pay. They all just trot to the edge of the box.

I agree that Armstrong had time but for once I agree with Chaddy. For 12 million pounds our forward line should be gambling and attacking the six yard line. It would have defenders facing their own goal and can create own goals. Shearer wouldnt of be coming in on the back post though, he'd have fought his way to be in front of a centre half as should a player with the physcial build of SG. Wilcox or even Le Saux would be around the back post area with the other player covering.

1 minute ago, Angry_Pirate said:

The more times I see the 2nd Huddersfield goal the more annoyed I get at the "quality" of Walton (not his fault) and the whole Raya fiasco (100% Mowbrays fault).

Positives: Going forward I'd like to see Nyambe stick at RB, and a midfield 5 of Downing -Travis in the middle behind Holtby - Dack - Rothwell. 

Could be the makings of an exciting team... when we get an exciting manager, of course.

Id agree with midfield 5 except for one thing. It would expose a below average left back. Im surprised Huddersfield did not carry on to expose Bennett yesterday.

Johnson did a lot of covering at left back especially in the first half.

Edited by dingles staying down 4ever

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I agree that Armstrong had time but for once I agree with Chaddy. For 12 million pounds our forward line should be gambling and attacking the six yard line. It would have defenders facing their own goal and can create own goals. Shearer wouldnt of be coming in on the back post though, he'd have fought his way to be in front of a centre half as should a player with the physcial build of SG. Wilcox or even Le Saux would be around the back post area with the other player covering.

Yep. We’ve signed a couple of absolute duffers who do the sum of zilch when it comes to attacking the ball in the box/6 yard area. It’s unforgivable. I’d sack Mowbray for wasting that £12 million alone.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

In the old days, we would bite the bullet, sell Dack and use a percentage of the fee to build a balanced squad. The heartbreaking sale of Tony Field allowed us to build a promotion-winning team.

But that would take someone with the nous of Gordon Lee in the transfer market. Tony's transfer record is a huge worry for me. Even the purchase of Dack can't make up for the likes of Brereton and Gallagher and the woeful imbalance in the squad. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeH said:

I’m pissed off we lost, and absolutely blame TM for this one. But let’s not be silly now, Johnson was great again, he linked up brilliantly for the second goal. Himself and Travis for me are the two you can depend on in 95% of games to have a 7 and above rating.

Johnson has at least one or two moments in every game without fail where he puts us in massive trouble being caught in a dangerous area. Again he did yesterday, with Williams bailing him out with a last ditch tackle. I also felt that they got in the spaces behind him too easy.

He played a lovely pass to Holtby, a great cross to Dack at the back post and did a couple of other useful things, but as always there are a couple of really dodgy moments in there. I have been slightly disappointing so far based on what I thought we were getting.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Agree with you, the ball was a strikers dream. Goes back to something I have said about Gallagher before. He doesnt get himself into goalscoring positions, he never looks like scoring and he cant anticipate where the ball will go, hes a crap striker and a waste of money. Made no sense to bring him on over Graham.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JoeH said:

I’m pissed off we lost, and absolutely blame TM for this one. But let’s not be silly now, Johnson was great again, he linked up brilliantly for the second goal. Himself and Travis for me are the two you can depend on in 95% of games to have a 7 and above rating.

He was good on the ball. However, off the ball in the second half,  he was so slow to get back into position or close down.  Especially noticeable once Trav went off.

18 minutes ago, Hasta said:

He was good on the ball. However, off the ball in the second half,  he was so slow to get back into position or close down.  Especially noticeable once Trav went off.

To be fair several times he covered for the badly out of position Bennett at left back but he is another who cannot last 90 minutes and tire after an hour. With the exception of Travis, most of our midfielders cannot last 90 minutes. Its why we end up defending on the edge of our box and rarely get forward late on the second half.

• Like 1

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

To be fair several times he covered for the badly out of position Bennett at left back but he is another who cannot last 90 minutes and tire after an hour. With the exception of Travis, most of our midfielders cannot last 90 minutes. Its why we end up defending on the edge of our box and rarely get forward late on the second half.

I think I'd hoped Johnson would solve that problem but, as you say, he doesn't have the stamina to keep at it for 90 minutes. Another thing I noticed yesterday is the Holtby is a very good footballer but he also didn't appear to be the quickest.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

errr that one we won 2-0. I remember it well as it one of the few games Mowbray got his tactics right

A few people forgetting our results. Yes we won 2-0 at Millwall and drew yesterday. Not sure how some posters on here, think we lost them both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep. We’ve signed a couple of absolute duffers who do the sum of zilch when it comes to attacking the ball in the box/6 yard area. It’s unforgivable. I’d sack Mowbray for wasting that £12 million alone.

In industry if you blew £12 million on some machinery that didn't work you'd be long gone by now. I did some work for a US company 20 years ago, we built a £1 million machine to the yanks design that never worked. The chief designer over in the US got fired. 

5 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

That midfield 5 might be best in the league if played together.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Take Downing off who had been whipping in some decent deliveries, a few mins later bring on Gallagher - our only non defender over 5'10. Another TM masterstroke. 

I know, it's not the first time he's done this.  Bring on a striker but take iff his best supply line.  I still can not get over Holtby being subbed.  Only saving grace would be if he was feeling something, injury ir the like.  Nyambe caught my eye today.  Thing is I feel Holtby won't start next game, far too positve for Tony and his game time will be restricted, a la Travis until he stops this silly arse forward thinking.  Once he comes to grips with playing sideways and backwards passing he will, a la Travis, get back in the starting line up.  I had one toe in the Mowbary out camp now I have jumped in both feet.  He is stifling us, holding us back.  Very Bowyeresque. Self preservation being his main concern.

On 20/10/2019 at 00:12, joey_big_nose said:

We are a frustrating team. We have a very technically strong team for this level who play good football when on song. Downing, Holtby, Dack can all really play, and I think Armstrong is better than people give him credit for. 

But we lack consistency, heart and desire. We always look like we can concede soft goals and frequently do, even if the opposition aren't creating chances. It's been like that for a long long time now.

...while players like Williams, Lenihan, Cunningham and Nyambe are all at best OK at this level (jury is still out regarding Adarabioyo). Mowbray's non-prioritizing of our defense before this season is costing us, and will continue to do so.