BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Club Ambition

I’m going to start by say that imo there’s no way we are getting promoted under Mowbray - someone convince me otherwise. Nothing about what he has done in the last 18 months makes me thing he will.

So, what are our ambitions for this season? If it’s another season of stability then it’s a waste (including the money wasted on duds) and makes no sense against a backdrop of ever increasing debt.

If it is to get into the play-offs then we are getting further away after each passing game.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Our lack of ambition became obvious during the summer window. Some desperate panic moves on the last day doesn't change that. 

I believe we're far more likely to be relegated under Mowbray than promoted. One of these days we won't be able to pull the nose up from these frequent tailspins, and once that time comes we will likely be in an extremely precarious position even if the manager is removed. 

Realistically for Rovers to get promoted with Venky's at the helm we will need a manager who can significantly overachieve. Mowbray is not that man. He can meet realistic expectations, but there's no evidence in his past history or his time here that he can exceed them. Every season he's here will be a season wasted in mid-table, or perhaps worse when/if Venky's decide the plan isn't working and go through their next round of budget cuts. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 3

Just now, Hasta said:

Just to cut out 5 pages of analysis, you are basically saying if they do not sack Mowbray then Venkys / Waggot don't want to try to go up?

If Mowbray continues to be backed regardless of performances and results, directly related to his tactics and choices of personnel, not to mention his failure to spend money wisely, what exactly does it say about our ambitions?

It’s patently obvious that Mowbray CANNOT and WILL NOT take us up this season.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

If Big Sam remained at Rovers, the Venkys would've made hundreds of millions out of the club by now, rather than lost them.

They should go cap in hand to him and beg him to take over for 18months and he'd have us back up where we belonged.

There is as much chance of that happening as there is Mowbray walking or getting us in the top 6.

• Like 9

Staying up is about our ambition at this moment in time.

I don't get it tbh. In my job I have clear objectives and KPI's. If I fail my jobs on the line, if I don't i get recognition. 

So what exactly has TM been told to achieve? It should, without a doubt be promotion given the squad and money he has had.

• Like 1

Regardless of the clubs ambition this season to reach top 6, it ain't going to happen. In short Mowbray does not have the management skills to challenge and we are left we championship survival being our ambition. Forget the FA cup.

In the real world Mowbray would be history. However, with the club setup as it is, is there anyone prepared or even there to question the manager? He deserves respect for getting us back up but football is a results game and the longer this goes on the more frustrated (decreasing) fans will be.

Don't like midday KOs and as I walked towards the ground today at 1215 I half doubted there was a game on due to lack of people. If we'd have beaten Charlton and Luton in earlier home gates things would be different.

Id say the club's ambition has been reasonable in terms of budget provided and Mowbray is a guy with a previous promotion on the CV. So I think it's a bit unfair to say effort is not being made.

I do however agree it is now clear Tony is not likely to get us up. Question is who will? To near guarantee promotion we would need to drop 30m+ which I doubt Venkys will do. Failing that you need to find the magic diamond in the rough manager who can haul you up with an average budget - the next Dyche or Farke.

If anyone knows who that is there are 20+ clubs in the championship who would like to know also.

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Id say the club's ambition has been reasonable in terms of budget provided and Mowbray is a guy with a previous promotion on the CV. So I think it's a bit unfair to say effort is not being made.

I do however agree it is now clear Tony is not likely to get us up. Question is who will? To near guarantee promotion we would need to drop 30m+ which I doubt Venkys will do. Failing that you need to find the magic diamond in the rough manager who can haul you up with an average budget - the next Dyche or Farke.

If anyone knows who that is there are 20+ clubs in the championship who would like to know also.

You don’t need £30m to get out of this division, you need the right manager. They do exist, look at Farke, Dyche, even Holloway going back a bit.

I do question the club’s ambition though. I’m genuinely confused as to what it is.

Mowbray’s record this season is 1.25 ppg. That’s less than 58 points over a season, which would have reached better than 15th over the last 5 years. It’s even worse that 2018/19 Mowbray by a king chalk.

If he is simply looking to best last season’s 69 point haul then he has to do better than 1 point in 9 in home games against Charlton, Luton and a poor Huddersfield.

If he doesn’t have to then that’s where I question the ambition. We didn’t sack Coyle, one of the worst manager to ever darken our door - even before he arrived - until he had taken us to second bottom. Mowbray has far more credit in the bank but we cannot afford to go down for a second time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

You don’t need £30m to get out of this division, you need the right manager. They do exist, look at Farke, Dyche, even Holloway going back a bit.

I do question the club’s ambition though. I’m genuinely confused as to what it is.

Mowbray’s record this season is 1.25 ppg. That’s less than 58 points over a season, which would have reached better than 15th over the last 5 years. It’s even worse that 2018/19 Mowbray by a king chalk.

If he is simply looking to best last season’s 69 point haul then he has to do better than 1 point in 9 in home games against Charlton, Luton and a poor Huddersfield.

If he doesn’t have to then that’s where I question the ambition. We didn’t sack Coyle, one of the worst manager to ever darken our door - even before he arrived - until he had taken us to second bottom. Mowbray has far more credit in the bank but we cannot afford to go down for a second time.

I think we are saying the same thing. You can get up if you find and attract a Farke or Dyche. But can our board and owners do that?

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I think we are saying the same thing. You can get up if you find and attract a Farke or Dyche. But can our board and owners do that?

All about timing. Rovers’ timing in recent times has been awful. When Burnley lucked out after Watford (at the time, inexplicably) sacked Dyche we were still being told that Kean had a plan and real fans knew what it was.

• Like 2

12 th place is doable...

Then a trip to India, hampers, a few internal promotions, a few more ipads, 5 million on another' investment presented signing, possibly even some contract extensions. A bit of blaming the fans, brexit, economic uncertainty for the poor crowds and the promise of progress to 11 th next season.

Happy days for a club like us, what else should be expect really .... ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

The short answer is 'no'.

None of them would know where to start.

We will end up with another dinosaur, foisted on us by the most pushy agent.

• Like 2

Going nowhere,mediocre,between a Rock and a hard place..just plain crap,so many descriptions to summarise our current predicament.

I fear we are well and truly back to the wilderness years under 'MR DULL™'. That said even during the dark times of the mid Eighties we still managed to go for promotion and play offs without a pot to piss in.

Mowbray has probably blown our budget for this season with 12 Millions worth of no goals to finish mid table.

FFS:(

August - The Giant awakens … this is our season .,.out of the League cup...

September - An odd boo here and there ..

October -Start booing the manager ..

November- Manager out chants ..

December-Things fall apart..

January -Out of the FA Cup ..

February- Season over ..

March -Flirt with relegation..

April- Four matches won on the bounce ..Mowbray the Saviour..

2020-21 ..rinse .and repeat.

• Like 1

I truely believe that Venky's have no ambitions for the club in footballing terms.

As part of their business they will have to address their losses and decide the right point in time to pull the plug. What then ?

At the moment I think they treat ownership of Rovers like I do my gym membership - I renew it every year and persuade myself I will make an effort to exercise more often, but deep down I know I probably won't.  There will come a point where I won't renew it.

I think the sum total of Venky's ambitions is to not worry too much about Rovers until one day it comes to the crunch. In term of money, yes they are wasting some of their massive wealth but they can afford it. To them it's probably equivalent to the £15 a month for my under utilised gym membership. Remind me to cancel it in January!

• Like 8

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

August - The Giant awakens … this is our season .,.out of the League cup...

September - An odd boo here and there ..

October -Start booing the manager ..

November- Manager out chants ..

December-Things fall apart..

January -Out of the FA Cup ..

February- Season over ..

March -Flirt with relegation..

April- Four matches won on the bounce ..Mowbray the Saviour..

2020-21 ..rinse .and repeat.

Don’t forget:

April Williams and Bennett are world beaters after doing ok in dead rubbers.

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

I truely believe that Venky's have no ambitions for the club in footballing terms.

As part of their business they will have to address their losses and decide the right point in time to pull the plug. What then ?

At the moment I think they treat ownership of Rovers like I do my gym membership - I renew it every year and persuade myself I will make an effort to exercise more often, but deep down I know I probably won't.  There will come a point where I won't renew it.

I think the sum total of Venky's ambitions is to not worry too much about Rovers until one day it comes to the crunch. In term of money, yes they are wasting some of their massive wealth but they can afford it. To them it's probably equivalent to the £15 a month for my under utilised gym membership. Remind me to cancel it in January!

Haha. I’ve never thought of the Venkys owning us as like a gym membership to them but I think it’s probably quite accurate. Start off with good intentions, know the money is coming out but it’s too insignificant to cancel. They might even get the odd bank statement and wonder what a Brereton is and why they’ve spent £7 million on it.

I genuinely believe the only reason they haven’t pulled the plug on us is they’re too lazy to be bothered and the money they pump in isn’t significant enough to lose any sleep over. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Going nowhere,mediocre,between a Rock and a hard place..just plain crap,so many descriptions to summarise our current predicament.

I fear we are well and truly back to the wilderness years under 'MR DULL™'. That said even during the dark times of the mid Eighties we still managed to go for promotion and play offs without a pot to piss in.

Mowbray has probably blown our budget for this season with 12 Millions worth of no goals to finish mid table.

FFS:(

Interesting. Most of the seasons in the so-called 80's dark times saw the Rovers in with a shout certainly until February. Hence Bill Fox's quote "We get promoted in February."

The Venky's years in the second tier have all been like a Beckett play.

No point, nothing happens.