Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray Poll

Mowbray Poll  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Mowbray should...

• Stay
    • Go

• Backroom

He's done for me. I'm not confident in Venky's picking anybody better and I think they are the root cause of the problem, but ultimately we need an overachiever in the dugout and Mowbray just isn't that guy. 

• Like 4

I am now at the point that I have lost any fondness or empathy for him. He is delusional and damaging the hard work he put in.  How a professional manager with years of experience under his belt can consistently make such terrible substutions, select so many players out of position when there are proper players available and fail to invest (over 3 seasons) on a proper defence, is unacceptable.  

• Like 3

If we were a normal club he would have been fired last season during that terrible run. We haven't really improved since that time. The football on show is dull, turgid, uninspiring and ultimately unsuccessful. The entertainment value is pretty low. He's been backed by the owners to a decent extent but we've been completely hamstrung by his inability to sign a Graham replacement in terms of being a goal threat. I wouldn't have signed Brererton and I wouldn't have signed Gallagher, certainly not permanently for large fees. This isn't being wise after the event , one or two of us said so at the time but got shouted down.

Having two big signings completely fail should be reason enough for him to go in any other walk of life.

This latest style of possession orientated walking football is the final straw for me. It's not exciting, it's not good to watch, it's not leading to many goals  and at the end of the day it's easy to play against.

• Like 2

He blamed last seasons awful run on the absence of Lenihen which obviously didn't help but everyone watching regularly knew it wasn't all down to that by a long way.  Now he has a similar excuse even though he has got what he must believe is adequate cover in with Toisin and he has got rid of Mulgrew.

Cunninghams absence to me isn't an excuse because he's continued to have the previous 2 left backs on the books even though they weren't good enough and allowed one to step to centre half. He's also got in a guy he's told everyone can play left back as well as a multitude of other positions. He should have adequate cover there instead of shoving capt fantastic across, another self inflicted wound.

He's now in the 3 game territory for me, shape up or....

• Like 2

Watching the game on Saturday, the last thirty minutes of the first half was entertaining. God only knows what he says to the team at half time, as we were completely on the back foot thereafter. Their subs made a difference. Holtby didn't look dead on his feet at all, yet was taken off. It seems from my watching of the board, this happens all the time. Inexplicable decisions, failing to pick players in the right positions (Bennett!). We can see it, why can't he??

It's time for him to go. Despite the Loons track record, we are regressing again under his charge. Two massive games, where I have little faith in any points. Will they pull the plug. Who knows. We need a young, forward thinking manager. But, would one come?

• Like 2

He has this week. Draw or lose tonight and we then HAVE to beat Preston. Lose both games and we'd be even worse off than last season.

Then for me its time to recover under Damien Johnson. The progress that will be made by the likes of Buckley, JRC, Butterworth, Brereton, Chapman, Rothwell and Nyambe would make under his leadership I think would be astounding.

44 minutes ago, Amo said:

Baffling, wasn't it? Dack was marked out the game in the 2nd half and getting no protection from the ref. Holtby was our only playmaker.

So what does Mowbray decide to do? Drag Holtby off.

Then he brings on Gallagher as a focal point up front.

So what does Mowbray decide to do? Haul off Downing and bring on the mighty Corry Evans.

I don't have 20 years managerial experience, so maybe I don't understand.

Your opinion helps me feel sane.  I honestly cannot comprehend anyone who doesn't spot these flaws in his substitutions and 'tactics'. It's almost as though he's taking the piss.

Just now, JoeH said:

He has this week. Draw or lose tonight and we then HAVE to beat Preston. Lose both games and we'd be even worse off than last season.

Then for me its time to recover under Damien Johnson. The progress that will be made by the likes of Buckley, JRC, Butterworth, Brereton, Chapman, Rothwell and Nyambe would make under his leadership I think would be astounding.

Being the Devil's Advocate - how would you feel if we appointed someone else's reserve team coach?

• Like 2

Just now, Pedro said:

Being the Devil's Advocate - how would you feel if we appointed someone else's reserve team coach?

Exactly. There would be uproar Pedro. The simple fact of the matter is that everyone wants whatever best suits them at the current time; DJ is also partly responsible for coaching this team and like it or not we've looked a worse side this year than last (on results). Is that his fault, or partially his fault?

If TM was to get sacked I'd want someone with proven pedigree in taking teams up. We don't sign players like Holtby and Dack to languish whilst a new coach cuts his teeth.

There is just as much chance DJ would be a success as there is on him failing. After living through the Bowyer years I'd rather we had a manager confident in the art of promotion.

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 5

There is a huge difference between managing the youth teams compared to being the first team manager. As brilliant as DJ has been, it would be quite the risk to throw him right at Championship level. I'd like him to work under someone as assistant manager for a few years first or another route for him would be to get a managers gig down the leagues.

• Like 1

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Exactly. There would be uproar Pedro. The simple fact of the matter is that everyone wants whatever best suits them at the current time; DJ is also partly responsible for coaching this team and like it or not we've looked a worse side this year than last (on results). Is that his fault, or partially his fault?

If TM was to get sacked I'd want someone with proven pedigree in taking teams up. We don't sign players like Holtby and Dack to languish whilst a new coach cuts his teeth.

There is just as much chance DJ would be a success as there is on him failing. After living through the Bowyer years I'd rather we had a manager confident in the art of promotion.

Yeah, me too. Chris Hughton is the stand out candidate for me (because we burnt our bridge and pissed on it,in regards to Allardyce). I'd personally love to see Hughes back. We need a no-nonsense, maximum effort approach.  No bullshit storytime talk of soldiers and artists - let's physically see them in blue and white.

• Like 4

Just now, Pedro said:

Shocking. Promoting from within your own ranks, a manager who's managed half of your team at youth level is completely different to a randomer from another team.

Just now, Pedro said:

Yeah, me too. Chris Hughton is the stand out candidate for me (because we burnt our bridge and pissed on it,in regards to Allardyce). I'd personally love to see Hughes back. We need a no-nonsense, maximum effort approach.  No bullshit storytime talk of soldiers and artists - let's physically see them in blue and white.

Personally I don't see Chris Hughton as any different than TM. The main reason I suggest Damien Johnson is it would be something a little different.

Just for once it would need a manager with some fairly recent decent pedigree not as guy off the scrapheap books of a favoured agent or someone who had a promotion 10 years ago followed by a catalogue of average and rubbish.

They have the clout and the club has the facilities, foundations and potential. 

I don't buy into this we are stuck with what we have or whatever we can scrabble about for nonsense for one minute and never have. The only problem with BRFC on this issue is those doing the recruiting not the calibre of what is gettable.

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Amo said:

Why does this one game make a difference?

Win tonight and we should be 3/4 points off the playoffs and therefore still within touching distance.  

Lose tonight and we suddenly have a bit of catching up to do, but whilst we are 3 or 4 points off the play offs at this stage of the season then I'm kind of ok with that. He set his own target this season and that was to get into the play offs, anything less at the end of the season then he has to go.

Aside from this, the lineup tonight is going to be interesting, espescially if Bell is fit. 

If Nyambe is dropped then I'd be outraged and really would be at the end of my tether with Mowbray.

See what tonight brings!

Just now, JoeH said:

Shocking. Promoting from within your own ranks, a manager who's managed half of your team at youth level is completely different to a randomer from another team.

I feel that we did that with Bowyer and my overlying thoughts are that we should have at least been top six and wasted a very good group of players by lacking belief and ruthlessness.  I have similar grievances with Mowbray, we should have been right up there last season but for him swerving the obvious and he then wasted money that should have been spent on building from the back.

Don't get me wrong though, you could be correct and Johnno might be brilliant, I just don't believe being our manager is for the inexperienced and someone has to stamp down some proper authority and tactics at some point soon.

• Like 1