Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray Poll

Mowbray Poll  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Mowbray should...

• Stay
    • Go

Just now, tomphil said:

Just for once it would need a manager with some fairly recent decent pedigree not as guy off the scrapheap books of a favoured agent or someone who had a promotion 10 years ago followed by a catalogue of average and rubbish.

They have the clout and the club has the facilities, foundations and potential. 

I don't buy into this we are stuck with what we have or whatever we can scrabble about for nonsense for one minute and never have. The only problem with BRFC on this issue is those doing the recruiting not the calibre of what is gettable.

Neither do I.

If you ask fans outside of Lancashire (and their obvious bias) about Rovers they will all remark about how "good we once were". That attitude extends to players / coaches. However, our only down side is that people within the game also know what a basket case of a club this is and no nonsense managers like McCarthy for example (although he's taken) probably wouldn't consider twice a year trips to India appealing.

There is no doubt that managers out there would take us on. If the rumours Warnock was on his way here were true then it shows we can still attract the best out there. I don't think there is anything wrong with a Bruce or a McCarthy, although both in current employment so unrealistic. Those type of managers know exactly how you build a team in this league - from the back.

Just now, Madon said:

Win tonight and we should be 3/4 points off the playoffs and therefore still within touching distance.  

But has the past 12 months (and especially this season) not shown that, regardless of how many points we might find ourselves away at a given point, we're completely incapable of fighting for promotion?

Reminds me of Bowyer's last full season a little. "If we win our game in hand we'll be four points from the playoffs". Yes we would have been, but the previous 18 months under him had made it clear that we just weren't capable.

Even if by some miracle we win tonight and on Saturday, it wouldn't change anything. The bigger picture suggests mid-table is our limit. 

• Like 1

I'm in two minds on this personally. I find Mowbray's football dull, boring, predictable and annoying. I can count on one hand the number of excellent performances that we've had under his management. Obviously if we win nobody cares but the vast majority of our wins have been narrow, hard fought marginal affairs that could easily have gone the other way. I believe that is down to his management.

His recruitment has been abysmal.

There is no evidence of any positive progress this season. The defence continues to struggle and is under staffed. He appears further away from knowing his best team and system than ever. His efforts at progressing things by replacing Graham, Conway and Mulgrew havent reaped dividends. The football is weary and ineffective. We're inconsistent in approach, performances and lineup.

I think we are more likely to go down than up which is a tragedy given the money paid out.

In an ideal world with proper owners and a proper board of directors there would be serious concern about the situation and at least back up plans in place. Plenty of decent managers out there who would likely come here if the club put the money up and structure in place. Off the top of.my head - Karanka, Oscar Garcia, Gus Poyet, Carlos Carvajal, Nigel Pearson, Mick McCarthy - all there for the taking for an ambitious club.

Sadly we know where we are at. The thought of changing manager, rather than an opportunity to progress is seen as a big decision which Venkys and their minions nearly always get badly wrong. We wont want to pay for a decent manager and will be motivated by convenience and cost to look in house or pick up a desperate option. Zero intention of paying big money for a management team or foreign manager with support staff. It will be cheap and cheerful happy to work with Lowey and keep the existing staff on. 

That fills me with dread.

• Like 6

The feeling of hopelessness lingers around Ewood. I regard myself as a patient soul....but this “ slow burn to improvement “ is damaging the gate, fan morale and ......I’m sure player confidence.When the stagnation will be relayed to India, I’ve no idea....but....

Which players have developed under TM?

How many players have regressed under TM ? 

How many play in their preferred position under TM ?

How many fans now arrive at Ewood expecting a poor performance?

Good managers are judged on their signings, good managers build from the back, a platform on which to play ...I’m NOT asking to win every week....I’m just asking for HOPE .....sadly, it’s in very short supply at Ewood...as the match day atmosphere demonstrates...I have respect fit Mowbray the man ....very little for Mowbray  the manager....things HAVE to change...and they won’t with him at the helm .

• Like 3

IMO, Mowbray has to be axed - it's a no brainer.

Pointless giving him tonight or another three games or until Christmas.  He's been here almost three years now and we know the nature of the beast.

I think we are mentally and physically unfit for purpose, disorganised, unbalanced and churn out turgid and predictable football.  Tactically, IMO, Mowbray is not at the races - how many times do we change formation during a match (once recall Bennett playing five different positions in one game), how many times does his substitutions actually make matters worse.  As far player trading, absolutely woeful I think with £millions spunked away.

It's time, IMO, our managerial dinosaur was replaced with a young, hungry and innovative manager.  I think the taxi leaving Ewood should be big enough to also take Waggott, Venus, Lowe and Benson.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Neither do I.

If you ask fans outside of Lancashire (and their obvious bias) about Rovers they will all remark about how "good we once were". That attitude extends to players / coaches. However, our only down side is that people within the game also know what a basket case of a club this is and no nonsense managers like McCarthy for example (although he's taken) probably wouldn't consider twice a year trips to India appealing.

There is no doubt that managers out there would take us on. If the rumours Warnock was on his way here were true then it shows we can still attract the best out there. I don't think there is anything wrong with a Bruce or a McCarthy, although both in current employment so unrealistic. Those type of managers know exactly how you build a team in this league - from the back.

If Mowbray had a similar philosophy to those two i think we might be onto a winner he's old school from a similar mould to them. Sadly whilst his teams might be capable of better bits of football they also severely lack the solidity of the other two.

So frustrating.

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

I feel that we did that with Bowyer and my overlying thoughts are that we should have at least been top six and wasted a very good group of players by lacking belief and ruthlessness.  I have similar grievances with Mowbray, we should have been right up there last season but for him swerving the obvious and he then wasted money that should have been spent on building from the back.

Don't get me wrong though, you could be correct and Johnno might be brilliant, I just don't believe being our manager is for the inexperienced and someone has to stamp down some proper authority and tactics at some point soon.

I think in general Bowyer was a great appointment, he stopped the rot, he should have and could have done better but he was the alternative choice to another washed up manager. I think there's enough of a chance than Johnson could be successful with a side half full of his academy lads to make giving it a go worthwhile. If it fails it fails, but for me Chris Hughton (ie.. another Mowbray) is just standing still.

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Sadly the ambitious and obvious choice is the last thing our mob will look at. They prefer their managers to be pliable and grateful.

Tell me one thing that defines a Chris Hughton team? What's his style? Because just like Mowbray I'd argue he barely has one.

The main reason I advocate for Damien Johnson is he has a clear way of playing football, it looks nice and plays nice and he has an ethos. He'd obviously look to develop our younger talents much more extensively than previous managers too.

Edited by JoeH

Just now, JoeH said:

Tell me one thing that defines a Chris Hughton team? What's his style? Because just like Mowbray I'd argue he barely has one.

The main reason I advocate for Damien Johnson is he has a clear way of playing football, it looks nice and plays nice and he has an ethos. He'd obviously look to develop our younger talents much more extensively than previous managers too.

Some skewed logic coming across here but each to their own. For the record not many will bother about style too much if it's delivering results good enough to challenge for promotion.

Flip side is you don't get bonus points for style if you end up in a relegation battle due to inexperience.

Houghton over Johnson is an absolute no brainer.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Big Sam had a style. It wasn't pretty but Christ I would have him back now!!!! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

IMO, Mowbray has to be axed - it's a no brainer.

Pointless giving him tonight or another three games or until Christmas.  He's been here almost three years now and we know the nature of the beast.

I think we are mentally and physically unfit for purpose, disorganised, unbalanced and churn out turgid and predictable football.  Tactically, IMO, Mowbray is not at the races - how many times do we change formation during a match (once recall Bennett playing five different positions in one game), how many times does his substitutions actually make matters worse.  As far player trading, absolutely woeful I think with £millions spunked away.

It's time, IMO, our managerial dinosaur was replaced with a young, hungry and innovative manager.  I think the taxi leaving Ewood should be big enough to also take Waggott, Venus, Lowe and Benson.

Who is this unnamed manager ?

How likely is it that in identifying their eighth managerial appointment in nine years that Venkys would manage to get it so right when they have not managed it before ?

How likely is it that this outstanding individual would choose to join us over other clubs ?

If we are so bad why do you keep frittering your money away on backing us to win games when you could give the money to a worthwhile charity ?

27 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Winning games?,

it used to be a quite fashionable thing for a football club to do :) 

He has a lower win percentage record than Mowbray...

38 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Who is this unnamed manager ?

How likely is it that in identifying their eighth managerial appointment in nine years that Venkys would manage to get it so right when they have not managed it before ?

How likely is it that this outstanding individual would choose to join us over other clubs ?

If we are so bad why do you keep frittering your money away on backing us to win games when you could give the money to a worthwhile charity ?

I’m going to be revisionist on this and say that they need to be judged on managerial appointments since Bowyer got the job by default.

Lambert

Coyle

Mowbray

All “credible” managers with a pedigree in the Championship.

Their next choice is therefore likely to be a Championship manager with promotion on his CV.

Hopefully they’ve been sounding out rescuing Rafa Benitez from the footballing backwaters. He’s been promoted recently and has a tick in the box for working for “unconventional” owners.

Or we’ll get someone like Pearson.

Surely we have to be in for Hughton. Preston got Neil FFS.

Just now, Waggy76 said:

I think the defenders are ..

It’s no secret we need better defenders but I do believe Pearson could tighten up the defence with what we have and get far more out of our attacking players so went wouldn’t be so reliant on clean sheets. Get to the summer window and take it from there. Make no mistake our only aim is to stay up currently.