Mowbray Poll

Mowbray Poll  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Mowbray should...

• Stay
    • Go

• Backroom
Just now, JoeH said:

GB, whom I like and remember fondly, inherited a lot of that team. Some of his signings where the worst in our recent history. Chris Brown for example. Rhodes was already at the club and he basically carried us most of the way through his tenure anyway.

Tbf Bowyer brought in Duffy, Cairney, King, Conway, Gestede, Spurr and a few other decent purchases. Granted he made some real cock ups too, but most of those came after the plug had been completely pulled financially and we were left scraping the very bottom of the barrel.

Just now, JoeH said:

GB, whom I like and remember fondly, inherited a lot of that team. Some of his signings where the worst in our recent history. Chris Brown for example. Rhodes was already at the club and he basically carried us most of the way through his tenure anyway.

Gestede, Cairney, Conway, and yes Duffy, Marshall and Evans were among our best permanent signings since Venkys took over. Only really Dack can compare. 

Bowyer never had more than £1 million to spend on a player albeit possibly a bigger wage bill.

He wins hands down on recruitment and to be honest I don't recall performances under him ever being as consistently poor as they are now.

Recruitment no question. But the last 18 months were poor performance wise. Trying to just stay in games and have ‘a right good go’ in the last ten minutes.

No hard feelings from me, he was a bloke learning his trade at a pretty high level, but lets not get the rose tinted specs out, his sacking was overdue.

• Like 1

I remember us playing at Birmingham towards the very end of Bowyer's tenure (it might even have been his last game). We drew 0-0 or 1-1. It was a poor game and it was clear we were struggling but no worse than what we've been getting recently.

35 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Gestede, Cairney, Conway, and yes Duffy, Marshall and Evans were among our best permanent signings since Venkys took over. Only really Dack can compare. 

Bowyer never had more than £1 million to spend on a player albeit possibly a bigger wage bill.

He wins hands down on recruitment and to be honest I don't recall performances under him ever being as consistently poor as they are now.

Wins vs who? I'm not defending Mowbray, he's signed some shockers too, I'm saying that Bowyer inherited the best striker in the division and that was pivotal. 

50 minutes ago, DE. said:

Tbf Bowyer brought in Duffy, Cairney, King, Conway, Gestede, Spurr and a few other decent purchases. Granted he made some real cock ups too, but most of those came after the plug had been completely pulled financially and we were left scraping the very bottom of the barrel.

I think Bowyer's dad has to take a lot of credit for the recruitment.

• Like 3

Just now, JoeH said:

Wins vs who? I'm not defending Mowbray, he's signed some shockers too, I'm saying that Bowyer inherited the best striker in the division and that was pivotal. 

Bowyer's recruitment was miles better than Mowbray's. It's not a competition but the reality is recruitment is important and for a club like ours perhaps more so than elsewhere

The signings Bowyer made on a small budget raised expectations of a promotion push. The signings Mowbray has made with one or two exceptions have been a waste of big money.

Bowyer's results in the Championship were better than Mowbray's too.

I enjoyed watching us more under Bowyer than I do now.

Bowyer was better than Mowbray, IMO

Edited by JHRover

Just now, JHRover said:

Bowyer's recruitment was miles better than Mowbray's. It's not a competition but the reality is recruitment is important and for a club like ours perhaps more so than elsewhere

The signings Bowyer made on a small budget raised expectations of a promotion push. The signings Mowbray has made with one or two exceptions have been a waste of big money.

Bowyer's results in the Championship were better than Mowbray's too.

I enjoyed watching us more under Bowyer than I do now.

Bowyer was better than Mowbray, IMO

I'm not trying to say TM is any better or any worse than GB. I don't understand where this comparison comes into things. I'm merely saying GB would've been about 12th with us, if not lower, without Jordan Rhodes. That's not a knock on him, it's more a comment about the fact we have no goalscorer and the only reason we finished so high that year was we somehow had two. The rest of the team was bang average, and if we do have to compare:

Tommy Spurr < Greg Cunningham
Jason Steele < David Raya OR Christian Walton
Adam Henley < Ryan Nyambe
Corry Evans < Lewis Travis
Jason Lowe < Bradley Johnson
Tom Cairney =or< Bradley Dack
Ben Marshall < Stuart Downing
Grant Hanley > Darragh Lenihan

There's loads of examples. The only reason this team isn't where Bowyer's team was is Jordan Rhodes and Rudy Gestede.

Bowyer did well with modest bits of money and loans in terms of who he got in even if he fell down a bit in using them. Being fair most of his shockers came when we were under embargo his judgement of lower level freebies was terribly flawed compared to some and it was always a bit bizarre being a youth expert he never went more into that market.  However i'll never be convinced he wasn't having some of the rubbish he signed pushed in his direction.

He did however repeatedly get the best out of Rhodes, Gestede when he was here, Conway and Marshall, even Steele looked ok for a short spell.  I'd say the main reason for that is because he kept starting them and stuck with them and stuck with his boring style. A bit of a law of averages type scenario whereas you've no chance of that with TM.

Which 3 or 4 players does Mowbray get the best out of on a regular basis ?

Edited by tomphil

Just now, tomphil said:

Bowyer did well with modest bits of money and loans in terms of who he got in even if he fell down a bit in using them. Being fair most of his shockers came when we were under embargo his judgement of lower level freebies was terribly flawed compared to some and it was always a bit bizarre being a youth expert he never went more into that market.  However i'll never be convinced he wasn't having some of the rubbish he signed pushed in his direction.

He did however repeatedly get the best out of Rhodes, Gestede when he was here, Conway and Marshall, even Steele looked ok for a short spell.  I'd say the main reason for that is because he kept starting them and stuck with them and stuck with his boring style. A bit of a law of averages type scenario whereas you've no chance of that with TM.

Which 3 or 4 players does Mowbray get the best out of on a regular basis ?

I often said that Bowyer would've made a decent no.2 for us. He was good at developing individual players (like a youth coach) but lacked the ambition and tactical nous to take us forward. I could see him as the kind, avuncular-type figure to reassure the players after they've been balled out by the manager, but not the one to captain the ship.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Amo said:

I often said that Bowyer would've made a decent no.2 for us. He was good at developing individual players (like a youth coach) but lacked the ambition and tactical nous to take us forward. I could see him as the kind, avuncular-type figure to reassure the players after they've been balled out by the manager, but not the one to captain the ship.

I was told by a player at the time there was a lot of one on one type stuff and i always assumed the emphasis was on personal player development and that was why the team lacked a bit overal.  Tactics very very bland and basic but probably what you'd expect from a youth type set up. I think they were more interested or focused on getting players experience and putting value in them than any real drive to be in the play offs.  

I'm not sure what the crack is these days apart from keeping everyone happy and trying to justify a big wage budget to the owners by trying to use everyone.

We've no real idea how Bowyer would've spent 5 milion quid if he was given it,  i doubt he'd have blown big bucks on Brereton or Gallagher types unless he had no choice. My guess he'd have spread it all around the squad on blandness where's TM has tried to be too clever when all it called for was to be smart.

• Like 1

Just now, Rogerb said:

It's a damning poll but a win at Deepdale and there maybe a few more than seven. Funny old game.

If we beat Preston it will be because players have been picked because they are the best players for that position. If we do get a result ,to me it will show how poor Mowbrays previous tactics and selections have been. Thanks for your efforts, but please go 

• Backroom
Just now, Rogerb said:

It's a damning poll but a win at Deepdale and there maybe a few more than seven. Funny old game.

Oh you can absolutely guarantee that. A win at Preston and it wouldn't surprise me if the poll swings back to 70/30. 

14 minutes ago, rigger said:

If we beat Preston it will be because players have been picked because they are the best players for that position. If we do get a result ,to me it will show how poor Mowbrays previous tactics and selections have been. Thanks for your efforts, but please go 

He needs to discover a coherent way of getting the ball from our penalty area to our opponents and a coherent way of stopping our opponents doing the same to us. Football is a simple game.