• Bennett
    • Williams
    • Lenihan
    • Dack
    • Graham
    • Johnson
    • Travis
    • Other - state in comments

Mowbray seems to have fallen into the trap that Coyle did: making the decision to give the captaincy to the longest serving player, despite him not being first choice in his natural position.

Ironically both Lowe and Bennett were centre midfielders who were turned into full backs just to keep the in the starting eleven.

This meant having to drop other players or move others around, made us weaker and, in my opinion, meant having a poor player as an ever present.

For me, the arm band should be given to the player who is the best for the job but also a mainstay through merit, not by default. Personally I think they should be a vocal leader but I’m not sure we have many of those.

Who would your captain be?

I would give it Dack. He's our best, most important, most consistent player and probably the only player who is undroppable. Look at the impact on Jack Grealish at Villa of a manager thinking outside the box and imparting extra responsibility on their best player. Could've been a master stroke. But all irrelevant now cos Tony will never change his mind.

• Like 2

Just now, davulsukur said:

Tough question.

There is no stand out candidate really. I agree totally with your opinion on Bennett. 

I guess Lenihan but then the vice captain would end up with armband just as much. 

I did wonder about Dack. Would he thrive on the responsibility or would he crumble under the pressure and go into hiding? He does usually demand the ball and would likely lead by example.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

I did wonder about Dack. Would he thrive on the responsibility or would he crumble under the pressure and go into hiding? He does usually demand the ball and would likely lead by example.

My only issue with Dack is that he's a bit of a lad, one of the boys kind of thing. I just don't know if it would work. 

Does he have the kind of authority that the other players would look up to when we need to dig deep? Unsure. 

On the field his style of play might lend itself to being a captain and leading by example.

I don't think he'd go into hiding, I actually think he would thrive on it. Might be worth it alone to galvanise our best player! 

None of them buggers are captain material.

If they were it wouldn't matter who the "official" captain was they would be rallying the troops etc, instead of the spineless shrugging of the shoulders we see time and time again when we go behind, especially away from home.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

None of them buggers are captain material.

If they were it wouldn't matter who the "official" captain was they would be rallying the troops etc, instead of the spineless shrugging of the shoulders we see time and time again when we go behind, especially away from home.

That gets my vote

• Like 1

Holtby.

Will be in the team on merit for a starters. Played at a higher level in England and Germany so gains respect from the players. Seems very confident and likeable when on media duties and the sort of player fans can  connect with.

May have only been here two minutes but already making an impact on the club and fans in particular.

• Like 1

The problem with Dack is that at times he already thinks he has to do everything on his own. When h appears alongside the right back wanting a ball he is not hurting the opposoition. He porbably be alongside Walton wanting the ball if he was captain.

If Lenihan could stay fit then he'd ne the obvious but he can't stay fit.

Bennett is only in the team because he's captain. In cricket it can work, example Miike Brierley, but not in football

Johnson has the experience but there is a mistake or two in him.

Graham is no longer going to play every game.

Travis would be my choice but is a Mowbray scapegoat so that leaves...

Stuart Downing

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

The problem with Dack is that at times he already thinks he has to do everything on his own. When h appears alongside the right back wanting a ball he is not hurting the opposoition. He porbably be alongside Walton wanting the ball if he was captain.

If Lenihan could stay fit then he'd ne the obvious but he can't stay fit.

Bennett is only in the team because he's captain. In cricket it can work, example Miike Brierley, but not in football

Johnson has the experience but there is a mistake or two in him.

Graham is no longer going to play every game.

Travis would be my choice but is a Mowbray scapegoat so that leaves...

Stuart Downing

II think you are right about Dack dropping deep but for me it's borne out of frustration. He can go for long periods in some games without touching the ball due to the inane possession based football his manager wants to play. The slow and boring passing along the back line and occasional pass into midfield frustrates most of us and Dack doesn't seem to be an exception.

• Like 2

Just now, arbitro said:

II think you are right about Dack dropping deep but for me it's borne out of frustration. He can go for long periods in some games without touching the ball due to the inane possession based football his manager wants to play. The slow and boring passing along the back line and occasional pass into midfield frustrates most of us and Dack doesn't seem to be an exception.

I agree its frustration with the tactics but it reduces the forward options as with no Graham in the team he is the onlt player capable of holding the ball. If he is to become a captain he has to mask his frustrations and play to the team's tactics however crap they are.

In my opinion "captain" as a thing is largely redundant as a concept. If it was like in Rugby where the ref actually exclusively talked to the two captains with their concerns, then it would have a function. And then I would really give the armband to the best diplomat, and not "the most inspiring individual". A team of 11 professional should not rely on one individual for morale, inspiration and graft. Admittedly some players with leadership qualities would be a good thing, but for that to inspire 11 players you really need more than one player with such qualities, and preferably spread around the pitch. Having one player, in one position on the pitch as a talisman is outdated.

Think back to the squad winning the league cup for example. Berg was captain, a good leader for sure, but he had a company of Friedel, Mark Hughes, Craig Short, Garry Flitcroft and Tugay. I suppose Bjørnebye and Andy Cole to some degree also could play that role.

Similarly the squad finishing 7th under Hughes: Friedel, Samba, Tugay, Nelsen, Mokoena, Zurab, Ooijer.

Now I can only think of Lenihan, Graham, Johnson (not really sure) and Travis as leader types. Lenihan and Travis more as future leader types than current tbh. Downing possibly as a professional to follow, but he seems less of a vocal type.

The captain should be the leader on the pitch. Reminding people of their duties. Encouraging, chastising, demanding. Being the person who wants the ball when things are going wrong.

If your captain goes missing or isn’t good enough then this translates. I keep mentioning it for various reasons but by and large footballers are overgrown school kids. The need to be led and need to feel appreciated and from time to time need a kick up the backside. That can come from the manager but it is a lot more meaningful when it comes from one of your colleagues on the pitch. If you have respect for them that is. Not sure how many players had respect for Jason Lowe (or if he even commanded their respect). Not sure if Bennett does with but here we are.

Just now, DE. said:

You're absolutely right that successful teams have strong, vocal leaders across the entire pitch. Not sure we have any at all. 

If you have several leaders you can afford to carry "weaker" members in the squad. Without enough leaders, you're more liable to collapses I reckon