BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The reputation of the club

I think that statement was true relatively early in to Venky's ownership. Certainly the rumour which was repeated in the media - whether true or not - that they bought the club unaware that there was relegation from the Premier League pointed to how low their standing was in the game.

There was also contempt for the ridiculous talk about signing Ronaldhino etc which pointed to them knowing the square root of nothing about football

Edited by Mashed Potatoes
  • Like 1

As the post above. We became a laughing stock way back in 2010.

I even heard foreigners that had never heard of Blackburn Rovers laughing about them. They certainly put us on the map (The Toejam & Earl map).

There's always something very shifty about people that wear suits and still look really scruffy.

• Like 2

A lot of water under the bridge on this score.

We certainly can’t claim to be ‘the pride of Lancashire’ at the moment. Burnley, Preston, Accy can all hold their heads higher than us right now.

That’s not Mowbray’s fault per se but the club’s lack of ambition, and inability to act when other clubs would, is holding us back.

So called stability seems to be around the livelihoods of millionaire managers and players while the fans have to watch like rubber necking at a car accident.

I don’t even feel angry about today’s results. It just seems so typical of our situation. I was more upset when PNE got an injury time equaliser against the run of play at Ewood three seasons ago. It was a hammer blow. Today was just what I’ve come to expect from Mowbray.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Our reputation was probably at its lowest during the SK/Shebby Singh/Agnew/Shaw era. There was so much embarrassing shit going on at the time that I don't even want to try and remember any of it. 

Nowadays we're just "that club owned by Venky's" and I'm afraid we will be until they finally go. 

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

Our reputation was probably at its lowest during the SK/Shebby Singh/Agnew/Shaw era. There was so much embarrassing shit going on at the time that I don't even want to try and remember any of it. 

Nowadays we're just "that club owned by Venky's" and I'm afraid we will be until they finally go. 

They've stayed silent for years now. 

I don't live in Blackburn, so when people find out I'm a Rovers fan, one of the first questions I get these days is "Are you still owned by the Venkys?" 

And when I say yes, there is generally some astonishment followed by some laughter.

Our reputation is still well and truly in the gutter.

• Like 1

To be honest and this is probably worse, its not in tatters- we are irrelevant. 

My friends slag me about venkys and the fact they are chicken barons, but they all say that we should be a premier league side. 

As things stand,  the majority of fans of others clubs just see us as a team with shit owners and a poor team compared to what we had before they came. Nobody gives much thought about us though! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

We all know who is to blame from the very first day they acquired the Club..their tenure has been nothing but one expensive disaster.

The sad matter of fact is that this situation could continue for decades more.

how did it ever happen eh who told them about us? someone mustve recommended the purchase to them but who was it

I've given up. Things will never improve until they go, but I'm not sure they ever will. I'm one of those who said what's the point in getting rid of Tony, because the next guy will be worse. That's not to say his performance isn't worthy of the sack. 

Deep down I still care, but I try to pretend that I don't, because caring hurts. A lot

• Like 9

I now live on the south coast, my biggest local club would be Bournemouth I guess.

Honestly, whenever I get into a football conversation here and say I support Rovers, I'd say nine times out of ten I get the questions 'who is your manager?' 'Which league are you in?' and if I mention that we're where we are because of poor ownership the question is 'who are your owners?'

The sad truth is that a lot of football fans have actually forgotten the whole Venky situation. We aren't on their radar any more. Once the chicken farmers stopped doing funny stuff for the papers other fans ceased to care. I don't get sympathy, but I don't get ridicule either.

We had a good reputation, then we had a bad reputation, now we're just irrelevant.

I die a bit every time.

• Like 3

I am relatively new to Rovers fandom (since 2013), so I do not have a great deal of expertise on the subject. My first game to attend in person was the last time the Rovers won, vs Reading, only last month. But I am a lifelong fan of the Dallas Cowboys, so that should say a lot about how I feel about interfering owners (Rovers & Cowboys had their last league championships the same season). 

I had a wonderful tour of Ewood Park last month, when my wife & I were in England. Jenny was our guide (she has worked for Rovers since 1996), and she was wonderful. She took us everywhere (including the 1875 Boardroom), and I am a bigger fan than before. 

During part of the tour, she stated, “you know, many of our fans don’t care for the owners”, to which I replied I knew that was true. She said they pay the bills, which amounts to £1 million/ month... just to keep the doors open and pay the employees (Rovers are understaffed, btw).

I haven’t been there all my life, or have near the emotional or financial investment that many of you have. I haven’t attended hundreds of matches, or lived in the same community, experienced the highs of PL winning season, or witnessed the events of the club’s sale. But what I do understand is the love a fan has for their club, in spite of circumstances beyond their control. This is the only Blackburn Rovers we will ever have- we cannot allow an owner or even series or poor owners run us off from our beloved club. Especially one that pays the bills and stays out of the way of on-field decisions.

• Like 1

Just now, WacoRover said:

I am relatively new to Rovers fandom (since 2013), so I do not have a great deal of expertise on the subject. My first game to attend in person was the last time the Rovers won, vs Reading, only last month. But I am a lifelong fan of the Dallas Cowboys, so that should say a lot about how I feel about interfering owners (Rovers & Cowboys had their last league championships the same season). 

I had a wonderful tour of Ewood Park last month, when my wife & I were in England. Jenny was our guide (she has worked for Rovers since 1996), and she was wonderful. She took us everywhere (including the 1875 Boardroom), and I am a bigger fan than before. 

During part of the tour, she stated, “you know, many of our fans don’t care for the owners”, to which I replied I knew that was true. She said they pay the bills, which amounts to £1 million/ month... just to keep the doors open and pay the employees (Rovers are understaffed, btw).

I haven’t been there all my life, or have near the emotional or financial investment that many of you have. I haven’t attended hundreds of matches, or lived in the same community, experienced the highs of PL winning season, or witnessed the events of the club’s sale. But what I do understand is the love a fan has for their club, in spite of circumstances beyond their control. This is the only Blackburn Rovers we will ever have- we cannot allow an owner or even series or poor owners run us off from our beloved club. Especially one that pays the bills and stays out of the way of on-field decisions.

She may have overstated a little there. The bills may be £1m a month but Venkys aren’t paying all that. The accounts certainly don’t show £12m injections per season. More like £2m.

It’s a shame you finish off your post with the little unintended defence of our custodians. They pay the bills because they have to and they won’t do the honourable thing and sell. They stay out of on-field decisions because football club owners bloody well should. They should certainly be more involved in off-field matters.

You joined our ranks as a fan after the Raos rocked up and destroyed everything our club used to stand for. Kudos for that but please don’t patronise that we should be grateful to them.

• Like 3

Stuart,

not sure about this, but is there a local group of businessmen that offered to buy all or part of the club? 

English football being what it is (not profitable) I cannot imagine any owner or group of potential owners not taking a valid offer seriously... especially an ownership that has not actually been to a Rovers game since 2014(?, I think that year is correct)

I’m not saying be grateful for them; heaven knows I’ve never been happy about Jerry Jones owning the Cowboys- I’m just saying the club is still viable, and has sufficient financial backing until somebody better comes along that can inject some love (hopefully) into it. 

Edited by WacoRover

Just now, WacoRover said:

Stuart,

not sure about this, but is there a local group of businessmen that offered to buy all or part of the club? 

English football being what it is (not profitable) I cannot imagine any owner or group of potential owners not taking a valid offer seriously... especially an ownership that has not actually been to a Rovers game since 2014(?, I think that year is correct)

I’m not saying be grateful for them; heaven knows I’ve never been happy about Jerry Jones owning the Cowboys- I’m just saying the club is still viable, and has sufficient financial backing until somebody better comes along that can inject some love (hopefully) into it. 

The owners will never sell to anyone from the Town and are reported to have rejected approaches from overseas interested parties.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

The owners will never sell to anyone from the Town and are reported to have rejected approaches from overseas interested parties.

Which is why the conspiracy theories keep on doing the rounds. Why would they not sell the club, when all will ever be is a burden round their necks? 

Didn't the two Ians (Battersby and Currie) once approach Venkys with an offer to run the club for them? Predictably they were met with radio silence. I couldn't claim to know their credentials for running a football club but I'd like to think two local businessmen are less self-interested than the previous lot Venkys have hired.