BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield Wednesday (H)

Bit pathetic how some people are making out Walton is SO bad yet Raya dropped clangers constantly in his career which have suddenly been erased from folks memory. The classic Ewood scapegoat approach. 

Here's a FACT. 2 keepers have kept more clean sheets in the championship this season, yes 2. And no one of them isn't Raya either.

Still keep on the slating..  

Just now, Ossydave said:

Bit pathetic how some people are making out Walton is SO bad yet Raya dropped clangers constantly in his career which have suddenly been erased from folks memory. The classic Ewood scapegoat approach. 

Here's a FACT. 2 keepers have kept more clean sheets in the championship this season, yes 2. And no one of them isn't Raya either.

so you dispute the fact that walton is`nt very good??

41 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

so you dispute the fact that walton is`nt very good??

I don't think Walton is amazing, I don't think he's a downgrade on Raya though. In fact he definitely isn't it's just typical of our fans. You simply do not get an amazing goalkeeper for the type of fees we can look to pay, hence only 2 rival keepers have more clean sheets (1 plays behind a far better back line for Leeds too). It's just unfortunate that mistakes by goalkeepers ultimately often lead to goals, but the reality is theres mistakes all over the damn park right now.

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Raya also made exceptional saves a hell of a lot, balancing that somewhat. Walton has been far weaker in that category. Ironically, the best save I can recall him making was in the Preston game.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

Just now, Ossydave said:

I don't think Walton is amazing, I don't think he's a downgrade on Raya though. In fact he definitely isn't it's just typical of our fans. You simply do not get an amazing goalkeeper for the type of fees we can look to pay, hence only 2 rival keepers have more clean sheets (1 plays behind a far better back line for Leeds too). It's just unfortunate that mistakes by goalkeepers ultimately often lead to goals, but the reality is theres mistakes all over the damn park right now.

not particularly singling walton out,i just don`t think he`s any good,then again neither are bennett(makes a cock up every game)williams(terribly weak )nyambe(always out of position)bell(out of his depth at this level),any decent manager would have shipped them all out by now,mowbray can` t have any complaints about not being backed financially,he`s spent a lot of money in the wrong positions and it`s coming home to roost

• Like 2

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

not particularly singling walton out,i just don`t think he`s any good,then again neither are bennett(makes a cock up every game)williams(terribly weak )nyambe(always out of position)bell(out of his depth at this level),any decent manager would have shipped them all out by now,mowbray can` t have any complaints about not being backed financially,he`s spent a lot of money in the wrong positions and it`s coming home to roost

Spot on post. Why spend all your budget on attacking players when it was clear as day the weakness was defence and the man himself admitted it last season? A lot of top centre halfs were available in the summer. He should've moved heaven and earth to get Bauer and Jansson from Leeds. Those two alone instead of Gallagher with Raya behind would have pushed us up the table. But no he would rather buy a non scoring striker to play on the wing. Ridiculous.

Edited by Bohinen 22

Just now, Bohinen 22 said:

He should've moved heaven and earth to get Bauer and Jansson from Leeds.

Apart from the football this is alao a problem with Mowbray and waggot. They aren’t appealing to young lads and if you like, are shit  salesmen.  I have it on good authority that the Bauer deal was fucked up in the meeting stage. He just fancied Alex Neil and what he had to say over Mowbray and his shambolic non tactics 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Walton is rubbish but Leutwiler is really bad too, as he showed last season.

They both are poor but he deserves a chance after Walton recent poor form. I'm hoping we get a decent keeper in January in the window along with defenders but I wouldnt bet on it

if we played with two strikers,two wingers and two full backs who overlap we might score a few goals,granted we`ll concede a few but at the moment we are conceding and not scoring much,gallagher up front with dack playing just off him in the hole,rothwell,armstrong or chapman out wide and two quick full backs overlapping,travis minding the shop with holtby spreading the play,might as well go for it i think,the best of defence is attack,especially when we have no defence!!you never know,mowbray might bang his head and regain consciousness with attacking intentions

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think Bennett was particularly good, I thought Gallagher was poor as were the other 10 Preston players and he was just easiest to sacrifice early to bring on another forward. Ultimately he lost all control of the midfield anyway and gave away yet another penalty. It doesnt make any sense if you was so full of praise for him last week to then suggest dropping him. Opinions aside, we know that the teachers pet will 100% start and it is just where that is in question.

Downing is in my team but at left back, if we had a competent left back in the absence of Cunningham then I possibly would have put him in midfield ahead of Johnson, as it is, I feel like we need him at left back over calamity Bell. Armstrong is usually ineffective, Rothwell has been given 3 starts in the League, all away from home, all in isolation before immediately being dropped. Why he is given such limited chances after his performances last year is beyond me. Johnson has been poor since he joined, but its a much of a muchness in central midfield, thats the only reason I gave him another chance, not because of anything positive that he has done.

Buckley has looked out of his depth IMO each time that he has featured for the first team. Chapman is a player that along with Rankin-Costello should be closer to the first team. Neither has been given a chance.

really? suggest you watch the game again. I spoken to several PNE fans who agree my assessment. 

Bennett had a specific job to do on that game and he did so good Neil was force to move Gallagher position and then took him off to bring on a target man. 

Rothwell hasn't look anywhere near the same player as last season. 

why should Chapman be closer than Buckley to the first team? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

really? suggest you watch the game again. I spoken to several PNE fans who agree my assessment. 

Bennett had a specific job to do on that game and he did so good Neil was force to move Gallagher position and then took him off to bring on a target man. 

Rothwell hasn't look anywhere near the same player as last season. 

why should Chapman be closer than Buckley to the first team? 

If you though he was that good you wouldnt have dropped him from your team. Stop being so patronising, I watched the game once which was more than enough, the main takeaway from his performance was yet another penalty given away. He is not good enough, hes a liability that the manager has an unhealthy blind spot towards. Sticking him in midfield and dropping Travis to squeeze him in was stupid.

You keep saying this about Rothwell but he hasnt played successive games! He had a run in the side at the end of last season, did very well, yet was predictably and undeservedly dropped at the start of this season. He has been given isolated starts against 2nd, 7th and 8th away from home then instantly dropped straight after. Its funny how a player isnt half as influential when he is dropped for no reason. 

My main point was that Buckley isnt ready for our first team. Every time hes played hes looked nowhere nesr ready. Chapman and Rankin Costello have been scoring for the Under 23s, and I liked Chapman last time he was here and my main worry was injuries which barring a head knock seems to be much less of a problem at the moment. I dont see the point in signing him and giving him zero chances in the first team.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

If you though he was that good you wouldnt have dropped him from your team. Stop being so patronising, I watched the game once which was more than enough, the main takeaway from his performance was yet another penalty given away. He is not good enough, hes a liability that the manager has an unhealthy blind spot towards. Sticking him in midfield and dropping Travis to squeeze him in was stupid.

You keep saying this about Rothwell but he hasnt played successive games! He had a run in the side at the end of last season, did very well, yet was predictably and undeservedly dropped at the start of this season. He has been given isolated starts against 2nd, 7th and 8th away from home then instantly dropped straight after. Its funny how a player isnt half as influential when he is dropped for no reason. 

My main point was that Buckley isnt ready for our first team. Every time hes played hes looked nowhere nesr ready. Chapman and Rankin Costello have been scoring for the Under 23s, and I liked Chapman last time he was here and my main worry was injuries which barring a head knock seems to be much less of a problem at the moment. I dont see the point in signing him and giving him zero chances in the first team.

Firstly, no one is being patronising so stop saying it every time. 

I was there in stadium live, watch it back once and spoken to few Rovers and PNE fans. 

Ive already said I want Travis in my team. 

Last season is last season. Means nothing now this season. Downing form has made it harder for him to start. 

I think Buckley has been ok this season. Impress me at WBA. 

Rankin Costello form and attitude this season has been impressive. Deserve his place on bench  

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Ha very good!

Lies damn lies and statistics. That stat doesn't mean anything if you're keeping a clean sheet one game then shipping three or four the next.

Here's some more  stats: We've conceded 21 goals from fourteen games so far this season. Exactly 1.5 goals per game. Last season we conceded 69 goals from 46 games, again exactly 1.5 goals per game.  

Only four Clubs have conceded more than our 21 goals so far this season and we've conceded 2 goals or more in seven or half of our fourteen games. By way of contrast Brentford with Raya in the nets have conceded nine less on 12 - the fourth best in the division.

You can manipulate stats to prove almost anything you want. I don't need to dig up some fluke statistic to tell me Walton is crap, I can see that with my own eyes. He's like a more error strewn version of Jason Steele -  neither stop anything of note and Walton chucks in more glaring errors.

• Like 3

Just now, philipl said:

Walton has no effective competition.

The only difference from Raya is that with Raya we would have had two or three absolute worldies to have savoured by now.

He also didn't time waste when we needed a goal.

5 hours ago, rossyrover said:

Most goalkeepers would suffer and make mistakes with rovers present defenders in front of them.

Exactly . Its the back five as a collective that should be getting criticised.

Any keeper whos left wide open as much as we leave our keeper  open will make mistakes.

There are no  outstanding goalkeepers in the Championship  but those teams that are doing well do have a decent back four. 

Case in point ..Butland classed as one of the better keepers in the league but has had a nightmare at Stoke. Sort the back four out less pressure on the keeper.

I really hope that big lump Nuhiu isn't playing for them. He is slow, unskilled and can hardly run but he always manages to cause chaos amongst our defence.

I don't like giving predictions as there are usually too many variables but I'm not confident at all going into this game.