BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield Wednesday (H)

12 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Bit pathetic how some people are making out Walton is SO bad yet Raya dropped clangers constantly in his career which have suddenly been erased from folks memory. The classic Ewood scapegoat approach. 

Here's a FACT. 2 keepers have kept more clean sheets in the championship this season, yes 2. And no one of them isn't Raya either.

Still keep on the slating..  

Most fans qualify that although Raya wasn't commanding and prone to gaffs, he at least pulled off some stunning saves. Walton doesn't appear to have any redeemable quality.

Edited by Amo
  • Like 1

Rovers 1 v Wednesday 3

Dack to get us up and running early on, Armstrong to miss a handful of sitters.

Wednesday equalise before the break.

Wednesday come out fired up for the second half, Rovers decide to try and hang on for a point.

Wednesday score 2 in the last twenty minutes.

Mowbray talks more drivel post match.

We all want him gone.

Simon Smith hasn't heard a single disgruntled fan.

Go to bed 

And repeat against Leeds.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ha very good!

Lies damn lies and statistics. That stat doesn't mean anything if you're keeping a clean sheet one game then shipping three or four the next.

Here's some more  stats: We've conceded 21 goals from fourteen games so far this season. Exactly 1.5 goals per game. Last season we conceded 69 goals from 46 games, again exactly 1.5 goals per game.  

Only four Clubs have conceded more than our 21 goals so far this season and we've conceded 2 goals or more in seven or half of our fourteen games. By way of contrast Brentford with Raya in the nets have conceded nine less on 12 - the fourth best in the division.

You can manipulate stats to prove almost anything you want. I don't need to dig up some fluke statistic to tell me Walton is crap, I can see that with my own eyes. He's like a more error strewn version of Jason Steele -  neither stop anything of note and Walton chucks in more glaring errors.

Brentford also have a defence in front of their goalkeeper.

I don't think Walton is particularly a terrible goalkeeper. At the start of the season when our defence looked steadied people were praising his communication and his commanding nature in the air. It's over time that our defence has weakened that his vulnerabilities are more on show but that's always the case for keepers.

Raya was a good keeper but has mistakes in him. In the QPR game he had a great 85 mins then dropped 2 from crosses, fortunately for Brentford their defence got the ball away each time, but a goal would have brought it back level and the game could have gone differently.

We need 5 new players. A right back, 2 centre halves, left back and a keeper. Anything short of that and we will struggle defensively, even if we put a prime Buffon in net. We haven't had a defence for nearly 10 years now and I suspect we won't have one for another 10 unless Venkys start realising the importance of defenders

We had every intention of watching rugby World Cup final then heading off to rovers to make a day of it £39-£48 walk on they can fuck right off. For this fixture I wouldn’t pay that out of principle. Can’t argue with the pricing at ewood. Shit team, playing shit. In a ground that’s 60% empty most weeks.

Hillsborough is always a rip off so might be pay back to their fans but they’ve shafted their home fans in the process.  

4D2DD762-26D2-48C9-8E1F-0BC4B7648B98.png

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Not a chance in hell that Huddersfield chaps pea roller would have got past Raya for a start.

But for too long Rovers defenders (and fans) have had to experience frequent unforced howlers that leave them feeling completely undermined.

Compare Walton, Raya, Steele and Kean to the likes of Roger Jones, Jim Arnold, Terry Gennoe etc at the same league level.

Just like the V's choice of managers, our choice of goalkeepers is yet another stark example of dumbing down, make do and mend.

I am just sick of it.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Struggling to get enthused for this one, you always want a win but I feel a win could end up being detrimental long term as it will set back any potential change by months 

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

But for too long Rovers defenders (and fans) have had to experience frequent unforced howlers that leave them feeling completely undermined.

Compare Walton, Raya, Steele and Kean to the likes of Roger Jones, Jim Arnold, Terry Gennoe etc at the same league level.

Just like the V's choice of managers, our choice of goalkeepers is yet another stark example of dumbing down, make do and mend.

I am just sick of it.

However the move actually came about there's no denying they've cashed in on Raya put that money in another direction and gone for the cheap short term fix solution.  Ridiculous really but i guess it just shows how little Mowbray rated Raya when he thinks another clubs 3rd/4th choice is a good replacement.  

Given who brought Walton in i'd not be surprised if we don't end up giving him a permanent deal at some point !

Anyway hopefully he shapes up but there still is no real competition after they very generously retained the other lad as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bohinen 22 said:

Spot on post. Why spend all your budget on attacking players when it was clear as day the weakness was defence and the man himself admitted it last season? A lot of top centre halfs were available in the summer. He should've moved heaven and earth to get Bauer and Jansson from Leeds. Those two alone instead of Gallagher with Raya behind would have pushed us up the table. But no he would rather buy a SECOND non scoring striker to play on the wing. Ridiculous.

slight correction - but wholly agree.....

10 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He's like a more error strewn version of Jason Steele -  neither stop anything of note and Walton chucks in more glaring errors.

The fact Brighton keep Steele as third choice keeper while shipping Walton out on loan confirms where they see the pecking order of the quality of keeper. It was Mowbray who moved Steele on only to now have a keeper considered worse by a Premiership club as his first choice keeper. Are we going to see a further down grade come the summer?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Bit pathetic how some people are making out Walton is SO bad yet Raya dropped clangers constantly in his career which have suddenly been erased from folks memory. The classic Ewood scapegoat approach. 

Here's a FACT. 2 keepers have kept more clean sheets in the championship this season, yes 2. And no one of them isn't Raya either.

Still keep on the slating..  

Point being? Raya has the same amount of clean sheets as Walton but more importantly has 9 less goals in the against column. So thanks I will keep on slating him because he is shit.

• Like 1

Just now, Spankus Munky said:

Point being? Raya has the same amount of clean sheets as Walton but more importantly has 9 less goals in the against column. So thanks I will keep on slating him because he is shit.

It is like trying to choose between Hitler and Stalin or Johnson and Trump. Pointless.

Steele, Raya and Walton are all shit.

• Like 1

It is like trying to choose between Hitler and Stalin or Johnson and Trump. Pointless.

Steele, Raya and Walton are all shit.

Well that's easy 2 are at worst a couple of prats the other 2 committed war crimes.

2nd selection also very easy 2 are shit and 1 is a solid championship keeper and he isn't British...

The only thing those 2 discussions have in common is they are absurdly hyperbolic

Bookies have us a favourites for this one, odd. They aren't often wrong. Also both teams to score in both halves at 12/1 looking very tempting for me.

Having popped £20 on Preston when 1-2 @ 8/1 the single pleasure i now get from Rovers is making money by knowing how shit we are. 

Wednesday have played a mix of 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 this season. Personally I think they would be mad not to go two up top tomorrow as that would mean playing 6’5 Nuhiu. Big, limited, physical - and the type of player who always causes us massive problems. The depth of attacking options they have is frightening.

Harris and Reach on the wings with proper full backs in behind guarantees a torrid afternoon for whoever is at fullback for us, particularly whoever is on the right (probably Bennett) who will be offered zero support from Armstrong. 

Mowbray has already bigged up Barry Bannan, so I expect he will want Evans attempting a man marking job, which won’t work.

All that said, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if we got a win to paper over a few cracks and give some “I told you so” ammunition to some of the prominent tweeters. 

The only things I am certain of are Bennett starting out of position, Armstrong playing the full 90, supporters making out there is a referee conspiracy against us, and the team showing an alarming lack of character.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

Well that's easy 2 are at worst a couple of prats the other 2 committed war crimes.

2nd selection also very easy 2 are shit and 1 is a solid championship keeper and he isn't British...

The only thing those 2 discussions have in common is they are absurdly hyperbolic

Read it again!

Read it again!

Still makes no sense! Raya, Walton & Steele one of these is not like the others, 2 are shit at the position they purportedly play the other is a solid if unremarkable keeper for the division he plays... I don't believe there is a club in this division that would take Walton or Steele over Raya to be number 1 other than us

13 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

Still makes no sense! Raya, Walton & Steele one of these is not like the others, 2 are shit at the position they purportedly play the other is a solid if unremarkable keeper for the division he plays... I don't believe there is a club in this division that would take Walton or Steele over Raya to be number 1 other than us

Well, even Rovers replaced Steele..... with Raya! 

I guess my point is that Raya is no yardstick. A team with any ambition needs a stronger, less error-prone keeper than Raya, but we have probably downgraded.

Raya IS class, he'll only get better as well. 

Brentford fans can't believe they sold their number 1 (forgot his name) to Bristol City and signed Raya whilst making a profit. He's getting rave reviews, their fans love him.

As someone pointed out we've signed Walton, a player viewed by Brighton as inferior to Steele who played a pivotal role in our relegation- I think that speaks volumes.

What really grates on me is the amount of time and resources that have gone into developing Raya only for him to whimsically sold by Mowbray.

This summer, with letting Raya and Mulgrew leave and inferior replacements we're significantly weaker than last season. I know I've gone on about Raya a lot, but I think selling him for what we did was a howler and replacing him with Walton is an even bigger howler- one that, with the lack of centre-halves could quite realistically see us relegated- well played TM.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Rogerb said:

The fact Brighton keep Steele as third choice keeper while shipping Walton out on loan confirms where they see the pecking order of the quality of keeper. It was Mowbray who moved Steele on only to now have a keeper considered worse by a Premiership club as his first choice keeper. Are we going to see a further down grade come the summer?

I very much doubt they see Steele as better than Walton. If you've got high hopes for a keeper, why have him sitting in the stands as third choice keeper, when he would be better getting first choice football somewhere. More often than not it doesn't matter how good your third choice keeper is - he's never going to play. 

For the record, Walton hasn't impressed me so far, but I was speaking to a Wigan fan last night who felt he got off to a shaky start there but ended up a very good keeper for them. He's still young - maybe it's a confidence thing. 

Just now, LeftWinger said:

I very much doubt they see Steele as better than Walton. If you've got high hopes for a keeper, why have him sitting in the stands as third choice keeper, when he would be better getting first choice football somewhere. More often than not it doesn't matter how good your third choice keeper is - he's never going to play. 

For the record, Walton hasn't impressed me so far, but I was speaking to a Wigan fan last night who felt he got off to a shaky start there but ended up a very good keeper for them. He's still young - maybe it's a confidence thing. 

Hard to see him gaining confidence playing behind our defence!

He's been very poor, unfortunately.

Something a new manager would want to address, but probably won't be able to as the window will have long shut when he arrives.

4 hours ago, matt83 said:

We had every intention of watching rugby World Cup final then heading off to rovers to make a day of it £39-£48 walk on they can fuck right off. For this fixture I wouldn’t pay that out of principle. Can’t argue with the pricing at ewood. Shit team, playing shit. In a ground that’s 60% empty most weeks.

Hillsborough is always a rip off so might be pay back to their fans but they’ve shafted their home fans in the process.  

4D2DD762-26D2-48C9-8E1F-0BC4B7648B98.png

if you are available for the following two home games they have a 3 game deal on, Wednesday, Barnsley and Brentford, prices starting at 45 quid