BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield Wednesday (H)

Just now, Bohinen 22 said:

Think you have to enjoy the win. You can criticise Tony when he's wrong which he has been a lot recently. But you've got to give him some credit when he makes changes that lead to a win. First half was poor. Second half was a lot better. Thought he got the defence spot on. Nyambe and Tosin played well and Bennett and Williams were solid enough at fullback. Would have Graham on every week from the start and Holtby is class even if he wasn't quite on it today. Looked a bit disappointed to go off. Anyway, a much needed win.

Bennett wasnt solid, everything came down his side with Sheffield Wednesday realising where we are weak. With Cunningham out for the season, when Lenihan returns our defence must be Nyambe, Lenihan, Adarabioyo and Williams up until January.

• Like 1

Pleased with the win which I thought was well deserved.  The players showed a huge amount of character to come back, particularly after the last few weeks, and I thought it showed they were playing for each other and still behind the manager.

I thought Mowbray did OK today after the last few weeks.  Tactically he adjusted things, particularly in the second half, and his use of subs worked well with Graham, Rothwell and Buckley all contributing.

A long way to go but hopefully Mowbray and the players can build on this between now and the January window when, hopefully, Mowbray will finally sign the players we actually need - goalkeeper and a couple of centre-backs!

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Bennett wasnt solid, everything came down his side with Sheffield Wednesday realising where we are weak. With Cunningham out for the season, when Lenihan returns our defence must be Nyambe, Lenihan, Adarabioyo and Williams up until January.

He was solid enough against a very decent wingers in Harris.

• Backroom

We talk about Bennett being undroppable but Armstrong for me is absolutely stealing a living at the moment, there’s no way Chapman could produce less.

Anyway a moment I enjoyed today was after Buckley was mobbed for the goal Travis made sure he went to the corner alone and took in the adulation from the fans.

Travs play style may have been diluted and dulled to a point but he’s come on a lot in maturity in the last season or so, think it will be his last with us here. 

Also I’m going to enjoy Tosin whilst he’s here, behind maybe Holtby and Downing he’s probably our best passer of the ball, vision is second to none, his nutmeg pass to Dack deserved a goal.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 5

Some really harsh comments regarding Bennett’s performance today. Harris was a constant threat and Wednesdays main outlet, but Bennett stuck to his task well. He’s obviously not the long term answer at full back, but he’s dealt with a good player well enough today. Said it time and again, whoever is at right back is going to be up against it when Armstrong is the winger in front of them. I’d play Bennett on the right hand side of a flat 4 in midfield and Downing on the left. Neither ever fails to put in a shift and both showed today they are capable of a decent delivery, with a Downing cross being the only time Gallagher really threatened. For me that’s far more effective than Armstrong’s selfish head down dribbling and cutting in.

• Like 8

Just now, Miller11 said:

Some really harsh comments regarding Bennett’s performance today. Harris was a constant threat and Wednesdays main outlet, but Bennett stuck to his task well. He’s obviously not the long term answer at full back, but he’s dealt with a good player well enough today. Said it time and again, whoever is at right back is going to be up against it when Armstrong is the winger in front of them. I’d play Bennett on the right hand side of a flat 4 in midfield and Downing on the left. Neither ever fails to put in a shift and both showed today they are capable of a decent delivery, with a Downing cross being the only time Gallagher really threatened. For me that’s far more effective than Armstrong’s selfish head down dribbling and cutting in.

Agree with that.  People call Bennett but the guy never hides, puts a shift in every week and gets no protection from Armstrong.  A basic 4-4-2 formation would probably be a good fit for the players we have with Bennett and Downing on the wings and Travis and Holtby in the middle.  I didn't think Bennett did too badly today against a decent winger although, ultimately, for all the possession Harris had he did very little with it at times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I’m so hyped that we won. 

Bit annoyed at myself for leaving when we were 1-0 down, but you win some, you lose some.

Thank Christ we won!!

Don't fret K-Hod, we'll do this again in a couple of years!

All those games which are like the first half x 2 make this game so special.

Glad to finally have a win and what a roller coaster ride. Gutted to concede when Wednesday weren’t offering much, very pleased to see a fight back, not usual these days. Extra pleased to see the classy Tosin bag a goal and our own young Buck. Would exchange it all for a plain vanilla 3-0 win though. Nervy about dirty Leeds already

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Also I’m going to enjoy Tosin whilst he’s here, behind maybe Holtby and Downing he’s probably our best passer of the ball, vision is second to none, his nutmeg pass to Dack deserved a goal.

Right on. Like Graham, supporting Rovers all these years it’s easy to spot the guys that can play top level.

I normally like to go into it more, but tonight I don’t give a **** I’m just glad we won a game of football, especially at home, coming from behind, against a decent team. 

I’d normally hope we build on this, we probably won’t, but again,**** it we won

Just now, K-Hod said:

I’m so hyped that we won. 

Bit annoyed at myself for leaving when we were 1-0 down, but you win some, you lose some.

Thank Christ we won!!

Don’t understand this. In 55 years plus of watching I’ve never once left a match early, even when we’ve been 5-0 down at home. 

• Like 5

Sorry can I just say regarding Armstrong. Our current squad we have I firmly believe we need him. I know defensively he’s weak and he doesn’t produce the killer ball enough. But his pace is an outlet. When teams play us, I guarantee they fear his pace. Granted he hasn’t been at his best, but he caused a problem “tactically” for our opposition. Our attack is slow as it is without taking out that threat, I think that would be a managers dream against us.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Very reminiscent of beating Newcastle 2-1 with two late goals from Fenton. 

Some good and not so good performances today. Tosin was fabulous I thought, his forward passing is a delight the likes of which I can’t remember ever seeing from a Rovers defender. Nyambe did well also. Travis put in the kind of performance I’d been led to believe Mowbray had coached out of him, and I’m beginning to prefer Dack actually in midfield rather than further up, he gets a lot more involved.

Holtby was anonymous I thought, Bennett was badly out of position for The cross that led to their goal, while Armstrong is just terrible.

Fair play to Walton, I felt he had to come for the deflected cross for their goal - someone should’ve blocked Fletcher’s run - and the save at the death was terrific.

Sort of game I’d still have been buzzing about eating my mum’s hotpot after the long walk up Heys Lane to Tockholes.

What made you move to Canada? surely there is nothing better than a Rovers victory followed by home made hot pot and a few pints in Royal Arms

Read that Tosin was great going forwards and he scored.  What's the odds on Mowbary dropping him a la Travis, Holtby.  His hand is a bit forced so perhaps he wont but ToMo don't much care for that adventurous goal scoring and moving forwards stuff.  Sideways and back is the only way.

Wam Bam Thank You Mam! I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING! Massive result on so many levels.  For the team, the manager and the fans.  Gonna be honest, didnt think we did enough to win this one, but on the same note, we definitely didnt deserve too lose.  However time and time again I have seen us not responded strong enough when conceding so late, so I will gladly take these points.  Now! Any chance we can do something special against Leeds?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Read that Tosin was great going forwards and he scored.  What's the odds on Mowbary dropping him a la Travis, Holtby.  His hand is a bit forced so perhaps he wont but ToMo don't much care for that adventurous goal scoring and moving forwards stuff.  Sideways and back is the only way.

I get this isn’t a serious post, but TM has set our team up with attacking players many times, he can’t help them passing backwards/sideways. We lack pace.

A well deserved win against a decent Sheff Wednesday side who we nullified all match.

Whilst I confess, I didn’t see the two goals coming at 0-1. I’m delighted for the lads and the manager. Don’t think I’ve celebrated a goal like I did Bucko’s since Charlie’s header at Donny.

The defence looked very solid overall. It’s the first time I’ve seen Tosin. What a performance! Dominant, unflappable and my god that lad can pass a ball. He and Nyambe looked strong and Williams at lb is a safe pair of hands. Bennett was average imo and the goal cam from him not getting over to block the cross. 

It’s the first time I’ve seen the 4141 formation and I have to say it looked good overall and it gets a lot of our offensive players onto the pitch. If we persist with it I can see a pathway for Bucko, JRC, Butterworth and Chapman onto the pitch.

Gallagher didn’t look great again. Long term, I think he will come good but Danny Graham is still a better option up front imo. Play into him and let the likes of Arma, Dack, Holtby, Rothwell, Bucko etc feed off him.

fantastic result.

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Have I post anything that go back what I said last week on Mowbray future? have I? I j just enjoying the win tonight

Sometimes Dack is going to have to do what is best the team and not himself in certain games. 

its a great shame that you cant enjoy the win tonight instead of this type of post

Like I said we were slow to react to deflection to the cross. But we won. 

who was Evans coming on for? 

Doesn’t matter who Evans was coming on for. He is a defensive midfielder who was being brought on to protect a 0-0 and a point.

I did enjoy the win but that had nothing to do with Mowbray. If he’d had his wish we wouldn’t have had that great finish and instead he would have been talking about a massive point against a top six side.

Just now, Stuart said:

Doesn’t matter who Evans was coming on for. He is a defensive midfielder who was being brought on to protect a 0-0 and a point.

I did enjoy the win but that had nothing to do with Mowbray. If he’d had his wish we wouldn’t have had that great finish and instead he would have been talking about a massive point against a top six side.

How can you possibly know what his wish was? I saw both Evans and Bucko warming up but even if Evans had been there on his own how would you know if the manager had asked him to warm up or he’d taken it upon himself? The fact is that the manager had made two substitutes BEFORE they scored which showed his intent to win the game. Then he made the Buckley one which won the game.

Give it a rest Stuart. The manager got it right for the first time in a while. Does it mean he’s the one to take us forward, probably not. But he deserves some credit for yesterday.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Listen theres basically a scapegoat checklist for certain elements of our fans even when we win!

1. Did Bennett screw up? If no move to point 2.

2. Did Walton screw up? If no move to point 3.

3. Did Gallagher screw up? If no move to point 4

4. We miss Raya and Paul Downing etc etc etc

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Sorry can I just say regarding Armstrong. Our current squad we have I firmly believe we need him. I know defensively he’s weak and he doesn’t produce the killer ball enough. But his pace is an outlet. When teams play us, I guarantee they fear his pace. Granted he hasn’t been at his best, but he caused a problem “tactically” for our opposition. Our attack is slow as it is without taking out that threat, I think that would be a managers dream against us.

I present to you, Harry Chapman.....

A nippy winger who would frighten opposition more. Alas he must have been caught ploughing Mowbrays missus or something though given how he's still nowhere near the first team 

Edited by Ossydave
  • Like 2