BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield Wednesday (H)

Just now, Paul Mani said:

A well deserved win against a decent Sheff Wednesday side who we nullified all match.

Whilst I confess, I didn’t see the two goals coming at 0-1. I’m delighted for the lads and the manager. Don’t think I’ve celebrated a goal like I did Bucko’s since Charlie’s header at Donny.

The defence looked very solid overall. It’s the first time I’ve seen Tosin. What a performance! Dominant, unflappable and my god that lad can pass a ball. He and Nyambe looked strong and Williams at lb is a safe pair of hands. Bennett was average imo and the goal cam from him not getting over to block the cross. 

It’s the first time I’ve seen the 4141 formation and I have to say it looked good overall and it gets a lot of our offensive players onto the pitch. If we persist with it I can see a pathway for Bucko, JRC, Butterworth and Chapman onto the pitch.

Gallagher didn’t look great again. Long term, I think he will come good but Danny Graham is still a better option up front imo. Play into him and let the likes of Arma, Dack, Holtby, Rothwell, Bucko etc feed off him.

fantastic result.

Agree with the rest, but that bit in bold, them 4 I don't I don't think will ever be regular starters here with the likes of Bennett, Evans and Armstrong here.

They should all be banging down the door to get out of here in January to play some real football, won't be long until they start to ho backwards in the u23s.

• Like 1

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Agree with the rest, but that bit in bold, them 4 I don't I don't think will ever be regular starters here with the likes of Bennett, Evans and Armstrong here.

They should all be banging down the door to get out of here in January to play some real football, won't be long until they start to ho backwards in the u23s.

Jonty was brought in to facilitate that pathway whilst Downing and Johnson were bought with a view to being here a year or two, max. Smallwood (as I said in the summer) is history and Evans will follow.

I fully expect Bucko to be starting regularly by Christmas. JRC and Butterworth to be integrated ready for next season. Chapman is more to do with him sorting himself out.

Bennett, Evans, Johnson, Downing will be squeezed out by the end of this season. That’s my prediction.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

How can you possibly know what his wish was? I saw both Evans and Bucko warming up but even if Evans had been there on his own how would you know if the manager had asked him to warm up or he’d taken it upon himself? The fact is that the manager had made two substitutes BEFORE they scored which showed his intent to win the game. Then he made the Buckley one which won the game.

Give it a rest Stuart. The manager got it right for the first time in a while. Does it mean he’s the one to take us forward, probably not. But he deserves some credit for yesterday.

Nope. He was wrong yesterday and you are wrong today. He wasn’t “warming up” when they scored as you keep imagining (of his own volition no less!). He was stood in his match kit with the coaches being given his instructions about to come on. When they scored he put a grey bib on over his kit and warmed up while Mowbray scratched his head a bit - after chucking his bottle on the pitch (that Evans retrieved after play continued).

His subs before that...

He was due to bring Graham on. This was almost certainly to withdraw Holtby who, in Mowbray’s eyes, still isn’t ready for the Championship.

Gallagher was then injured - although allowed to try to hobble on for a few minutes, likely making it worse - so instead he made it like for like using Graham.

Next minute he’s bringing off Holtby for Rothwell. Getting Holtby off was more of a priority than who came on.

Even if I’m wrong with that assessment, these are still like for like changes in the 60-oddth minutes, not going out to win the game.

His game plan after the hour mark was to set up to go for the point, despite it being an open game and Wednesday there for the taking. In the 80th minute it was time to shut up shop. How do I know this? Well, from the many times Mowbray has tried the same in the past. That’s when we aren’t already losing. Ironically, given the (sadly poorly observed) remembrance day tributes yesterday, some have already forgotten the oft quoted idiom from Churchill (1948): those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. Without wishing any disrespect to the gravity of its meaning, that certainly applies to Mowbray and could well apply to many of our fans.

Even in his post-match interview Mowbray was babbling on about how this wasn’t “his” team, it is “the players’ team” and they all need to battle “for their mates”. He knows himself that he can’t take the credit.

You stick with Mowbray though. You can enjoy the odd 0-0 draw here and there against “the big boys of the division” (to paraphrase Mowbray) instead of what happened yesterday.

It’s such a shame that Mowbray is going to be let off the hook again but it was only ever going to take one win for some folk.

• Like 3

I certainly think that Sheffield Wednesday scoring was a big factor in us winning the game. I also saw Evans being briefed by studying the magic 'folder' but their goal forced a rethink.

However it really doesn't matter to me whether it was lucky or great management. I really don't care because the feeling I got when we scored the winner and since then overrides any slight irritation that might have caused.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

Aside from the result one of the highlights for me was the run that Nyambe went on before crashing into the hoardings in front of the Blackburn End. Hopefully the shackles can come off now for him irrespective of what position he plays in.

I hope the shackles can come off the whole team, I hope Rothwell features more, I want to see Chapman given a chance. I'm sick of the negativity.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Listen theres basically a scapegoat checklist for certain elements of our fans even when we win!

1. Did Bennett screw up? If no move to point 2.

2. Did Walton screw up? If no move to point 3.

3. Did Gallagher screw up? If no move to point 4

4. We miss Raya and Paul Downing etc etc etc

1 bloody game! Didn't take you long eh? :o

Just now, arbitro said:

I certainly think that Sheffield Wednesday scoring was a big factor in us winning the game. I also saw Evans being briefed by studying the magic 'folder' but their goal forced a rethink.

However it really doesn't matter to me whether it was lucky or great management. I really don't care because the feeling I got when we scored the winner and since then overrides any slight irritation that might have caused.

The only reason it matters is because that result might be what keeps Mowbray here through the January window. He definitely looked under pressure from his reaction to their goal. At first I thought a fan has thrown something in the pitch. I expect he’ll get a fine for that.

Would he have walked after a 1-0 home defeat in that fashion? We’ll never know.

Just now, 47er said:

Actually you're too late---that post of mine got deleted! But it is TM you're defending because its him that's under pressure.

What the hell are you on about? I'm not defending Mowbray in any of my posts - I want him gone. I'm not pathetic enough to try and criticise individuals when they don't deserve it though and yes I enjoy seeing my team win!

Very odd post, maybe go back to bed for a bit.

Edited by Ossydave

7 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Sorry can I just say regarding Armstrong. Our current squad we have I firmly believe we need him. I know defensively he’s weak and he doesn’t produce the killer ball enough. But his pace is an outlet. When teams play us, I guarantee they fear his pace. Granted he hasn’t been at his best, but he caused a problem “tactically” for our opposition. Our attack is slow as it is without taking out that threat, I think that would be a managers dream against us.

I have to agree with this. If you look at so many of our (few) goals this year they result from Armstrong's pace opening up the opposition.

We make more opportunities out of him than any other player except Dack.

Wish he was more consistent, but if he was he would be playing at a higher level.

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Don’t understand this. In 55 years plus of watching I’ve never once left a match early, even when we’ve been 5-0 down at home. 

I used to to the Rugby League with a pal who left home games with 5 minutes to go every week no matter what the score was. " To beat the traffic " was his rationale. There'd be about 2,000 at the game !

Just now, Stuart said:

One thing we can all agree on I’m sure.

The celebrations when Buckley scored were something else!!

Best moment in years - we really have had it bad!

It was quite exhilarating after an awful few weeks. It's amazing sometimes how fine the margins can be in sport. Only a few minutes earlier there was probably another line ready to be added to Mowbrays obituary but he has a stay of execution.

I was really pleased for Buckley and sincerely hope he gets more chances to start. I think there is a real player in there and from Mowbrays comments he does too.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

What the hell are you on about? I'm not defending Mowbray in any of my posts - I want him gone. I'm not pathetic enough to try and criticise individuals when they don't deserve it though and yes I enjoy seeing my team win!

Very odd post, maybe go back to bed for a bit.

Look back at the picture I posted yesterday evening of their goal. Walton is almost on his knees with his hands at head height. Of course he is at fault for their goal so he is open to criticism. 

Having said that, just watched the Quest highlights and the other two saves he made were excellent, the second of which won us the game.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

One thing we can all agree on I’m sure.

The celebrations when Buckley scored were something else!!

Best moment in years - we really have had it bad!

One of the everlasting joys of football is the last minute winner... our first in the over two and a half year reign of this manager, that’s some barren spell.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

Just now, Hasta said:

Look back at the picture I posted yesterday evening of their goal. Walton is almost on his knees with his hands at head height. Of course he is at fault for their goal so he is open to criticism. 

Havung said that, just watched the Quest highlights and the other two saves he made were excellent, the second of which won us the game.

It's like I've said earlier in the thread. Walton isn't amazing no, but a flawless keeper is a multi million pound one. Even the top clubs in the world have to scour around for one. He's about the level we're at and no worse than Raya. He pulled off a few cracking saves yesterday and ultimately won us the game late on, did you also see his reaction after that save? He clearly cares and is trying his damn best.

Their goal was more the fault of Nyambe I think it was, whoever's at the near post. They should be banging that out for a corner not ball watching. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

One of the everlasting joys of football is the last minute winner... our first in the over two and shelf year reign of this manager, that’s some barren spell.

And it took a fearless kid having a go and a big deflection, that'll soon be drilled out of him !

But we'll savour that moment for now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Aside from the result one of the highlights for me was the run that Nyambe went on before crashing into the hoardings in front of the Blackburn End. Hopefully the shackles can come off now for him irrespective of what position he plays in.

The power he has just hasn't been utilised enough for me.

Should be one of the first names on the team sheet along with Travis

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

It's like I've said earlier in the thread. Walton isn't amazing no, but a flawless keeper is a multi million pound one. Even the top clubs in the world have to scour around for one. He's about the level we're at and no worse than Raya. He pulled off a few cracking saves yesterday and ultimately won us the game late on, did you also see his reaction after that save? He clearly cares and is trying his damn best.

Their goal was more the fault of Nyambe I think it was, whoever's at the near post. They should be banging that out for a corner not ball watching. 

I used to go watching my brother as a goalkeeper when he was goalkeeping for Blackburn Schoolboys years ago and if he had come out to meet a guy at the near post crouched down with his hands at head height I'd have told him it was a schoolboy error !!

If you aren't going to get to the ball you spread yourself and make yourself big. It's was a basic mistake. Again, I will add that his two other saves were cracking saves and he ultimately won us the points so it's not a witchhunt against Walton regardless (which is why we are discussing this because that's what your post earlier implied despite it being clear Walton has to have some blame apportioned to him for the goal.)

Nobody expects a flawless keeper, but in my opinion he's slightly worse than Raya and has been at fault for 3 goals in 4 games. The fact is we got £4million for Raya, spunked the money on a striker and ended up with a slightly worse keeper who we don't even own.Tthere's a very good chance Walton will be replaced sometime in the next 9 months. I'm sure most would be in agreement that if we signed him as a permanent number 1 it would be a very bad move.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1