BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield Wednesday (H)

On short reflection. Yesterday was a nightmare.

The best thing would have been for England to win the rugby World cup and Rovers to have got battered with Mowbray a dead man walking.

Instead, England rugby moves into crybaby football territory with what will now be at least 20 years of hurt (2023 WC) and Rovers continue in the never ending abyss of unstable stability with an occasional false dawn.

Are we already living in Hell? ?

• Like 3

Just now, Husky said:

The best thing would have been for England to win the rugby World cup and Rovers to have got battered with Mowbray a dead man walking.

Instead, England rugby moves into crybaby football territory with what will now be at least 20 years of hurt (2023 WC) and Rovers continue in the never ending abyss of unstable stability with an occasional false dawn.

My thoughts exactly

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Whilst I agree with the notion that Mowbray is overly conservative at times, that he has favourites who play undeservedly and those who dont get the chances they deserve etc, again some of these individual cases are myths. Travis got into the team, and we all thought that as soon as Smallwoods suspension had ended, he would return to the bench. Since, Travis has been a regular and Smallwood cannot get into the squad. Holtby took longer than I'd like to be given his first start, but since hes had it, he has since been injured and as soon as he has got back to fitness, he started again. And Adarabioyo was very good yesterday, but up until then he has looked quite flimsy IMO, would like to see him next to Lenihan with Williams and Nyambe at full back.

No way will Bennett ever be squeezed out under Mowbray, he cannot bear to leave him out for one single game regardless of performance and regardless of what position he has to squeeze him into, he is and will forever be first name on the team sheet.

So was Smallwood...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stuart said:

Nope. He was wrong yesterday and you are wrong today. He wasn’t “warming up” when they scored as you keep imagining (of his own volition no less!). He was stood in his match kit with the coaches being given his instructions about to come on. When they scored he put a grey bib on over his kit and warmed up while Mowbray scratched his head a bit - after chucking his bottle on the pitch (that Evans retrieved after play continued).

His subs before that...

He was due to bring Graham on. This was almost certainly to withdraw Holtby who, in Mowbray’s eyes, still isn’t ready for the Championship.

Gallagher was then injured - although allowed to try to hobble on for a few minutes, likely making it worse - so instead he made it like for like using Graham.

Next minute he’s bringing off Holtby for Rothwell. Getting Holtby off was more of a priority than who came on.

Even if I’m wrong with that assessment, these are still like for like changes in the 60-oddth minutes, not going out to win the game.

His game plan after the hour mark was to set up to go for the point, despite it being an open game and Wednesday there for the taking. In the 80th minute it was time to shut up shop. How do I know this? Well, from the many times Mowbray has tried the same in the past. That’s when we aren’t already losing. Ironically, given the (sadly poorly observed) remembrance day tributes yesterday, some have already forgotten the oft quoted idiom from Churchill (1948): those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. Without wishing any disrespect to the gravity of its meaning, that certainly applies to Mowbray and could well apply to many of our fans.

Even in his post-match interview Mowbray was babbling on about how this wasn’t “his” team, it is “the players’ team” and they all need to battle “for their mates”. He knows himself that he can’t take the credit.

You stick with Mowbray though. You can enjoy the odd 0-0 draw here and there against “the big boys of the division” (to paraphrase Mowbray) instead of what happened yesterday.

It’s such a shame that Mowbray is going to be let off the hook again but it was only ever going to take one win for some folk.

You’re showing how limited your life experience is Stuart. Every good leader stands aside and gives the credit to those who bare the battle scars.

Ill say it again (for what seems like 100th time) I’m not sticking with Mowbray. I think we’d benefit from a change. All I’m saying is that the manager did his job yesterday. 

• Like 3

I hope that we did not use up a Seasons good luck yesterday.

We score a looping header with the keeper stranded and another from a massive deflection.

Wednesday get a decent shot off late on, a wild deflection that hits the post.

Such smiles from Lady Luck make a manager a Godlike, wise and subsitute savvy man about town.

Anyway, we were the better team, I thought Wednesday were bang average and we were due a break and some good fortune.

I love how narratives become fact on here. Personally, I saw no evidence whatsoever that Mowbray’s job was on the line any more prior to this game than any other game while he’s been here. So the notions that this result “saved” him, that a tonking would’ve seen him gone, and that we are now condemned to more purgatory are completely illusory.

What I saw in the last two games was a mid-table team do what mid-table teams do: mix up some good results with some bad ones.

While Mowbray set a goal of top 6, his transfer dealings have not, as yet, made us any better than last season. One and a half goals by Nov for a £5 million striker is poor, Johnston is looking more Murphy than Tugay, the keeper is not an upgrade, the left back is gone and central defence is about the same. The only rays of sunshine are our German international and our youngsters.

Nobody knows how another “season of consolidation”, which is what I think we are in for, will sit with the owners.

• Like 8

This league is very poor and if by some sort of miracle  we end up in January  where we are 6 too 8 points away . Will TM get the players in that he should have done in the summer. A center half a right back a right winger. And if we could get a goalkeeper  and  proven stricker in has well . It would be game on

Just now, stinny1 said:

This league is very poor and if by some sort of miracle  we end up in January  where we are 6 too 8 points away . Will TM get the players in that he should have done in the summer. A center half a right back a right winger. And if we could get a goalkeeper  and  proven stricker in has well . It would be game on

Doubtful we'll do anything in Jan like that wherever we are.  TM is a stickler for over loyalty and going with what he has so it'll be as you were.

He just isn't a bold manager we have to accept that and plod on with it.

1 hour ago, Alejandro Tapia said:

Yeeeeeees!!! So good to see all the Rovers happy and saying I told you...even to the blody moaners...it was a very good match a veey tight 1 half but i think that we played better than blody owls the whole complete second half...the bad things that this match left us the Gallagher injury...walton still showing that he's good but not enough not yet next campaing maybe we should to BUY a little older and more experimented goaly...and the poor defense level yesterday Wednesday has so little chances and even like that we had the constant fear to finish losing the game again....
The good things we won we show our true level (2 half) we showed that we can defeat a top 5 and I think yesterday it was a proof that we can relly on our yong players!!!

#ImRoversTillIDie 

#COYBBR 

#TheMexicanRover 

Blody good post

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stinny1 said:

We did nothing last January when a few astute additions might have maintained momentum. In the end we had a predictable defensive crisis and plummeted down the table. Apparently it isnt a good time to do business.

Expectations of using this January to sign players we need? None

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

We did nothing last January when a few astute additions might have maintained momentum. In the end we had a predictable defensive crisis and plummeted down the table. Apparently it isnt a good time to do business.

Expectations of using this January to sign players we need? None

Defenders are coming!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Husky said:

I don't care what the circumstances are, I always want us to win. Yesterday was no exception. I was down cast with the Rugby Union but for me it's a side show, Rovers will always be No1.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ossydave said:

It's like I've said earlier in the thread. Walton isn't amazing no, but a flawless keeper is a multi million pound one. Even the top clubs in the world have to scour around for one. He's about the level we're at and no worse than Raya. He pulled off a few cracking saves yesterday and ultimately won us the game late on, did you also see his reaction after that save? He clearly cares and is trying his damn best.

Their goal was more the fault of Nyambe I think it was, whoever's at the near post. They should be banging that out for a corner not ball watching. 

Well if he's at the same level as Raya, why sell Raya? He was our player, Walton isn't! And Raya has a lot of improvement in him at his age.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I love how narratives become fact on here. Personally, I saw no evidence whatsoever that Mowbray’s job was on the line any more prior to this game than any other game while he’s been here. So the notions that this result “saved” him, that a tonking would’ve seen him gone, and that we are now condemned to more purgatory are completely illusory.

What I saw in the last two games was a mid-table team do what mid-table teams do: mix up some good results with some bad ones.

While Mowbray set a goal of top 6, his transfer dealings have not, as yet, made us any better than last season. One and a half goals by Nov for a £5 million striker is poor, Johnston is looking more Murphy than Tugay, the keeper is not an upgrade, the left back is gone and central defence is about the same. The only rays of sunshine are our German international and our youngsters.

Nobody knows how another “season of consolidation”, which is what I think we are in for, will sit with the owners.

Let's hope you are right---"about the season of consolidation" I mean!

That is clearly the best we can hope for.

Just now, 47er said:

Well if he's at the same level as Raya, why sell Raya? He was our player, Walton isn't! And Raya has a lot of improvement in him at his age.

Because money talks and we got a decent price for him, still needs replacing properly mind

Just now, Ossydave said:

Because money talks and we got a decent price for him, still needs replacing properly mind

We could get a decent price for several of our players but I hope we don't, especially if we are not going to spend the money on players who improve the squad and/or replace them with loanees.

I think the Raya transfer is a bad piece of business personally.

Just now, 47er said:

We could get a decent price for several of our players but I hope we don't, especially if we are not going to spend the money on players who improve the squad and/or replace them with loanees.

I think the Raya transfer is a bad piece of business personally.

Raya got kicked in the head last season and did appear to lose some confidence as a result. Additionally weren't there rumours of a bust up between him and the management team as he didn't take kindly to criticism ?

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You don't half sound miserable after winning yesterday? 

it doesn't matter. 

Winning matters not a sub that never happened at all

You see what you want to see.

Yes, winning absolutely matters. Which is why having Mowbray as manager is such a bad idea. He wanted a draw!!

I don’t get the wanting us to lose to be honest, if it was fact that if we lost mowbray would be sacked then yes absolutely I’d be for that but as it is we need to stay in this league , relegation would be an utter disaster so 3 welcome points. There has been absolutely no sniff from media or club sources mowbray is in trouble , sadly. I don’t think we are going to get rid that easy with the position of power he has 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Raya got kicked in the head last season and did appear to lose some confidence as a result. Additionally weren't there rumours of a bust up between him and the management team as he didn't take kindly to criticism ?

That's one way of putting it. He certainly seemed to have been affected by that" assault" on him but .basically, Mowbray seemed to put the blame on him for our appalling defence rather than accepting any blame for himself. Raya was publicly singled out while others got off scot-free. No wonder Raya wanted to leave.

Poor man management I thought, yet that's something Mowbray appears to pride himself on.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You see what you want to see.

Yes, winning absolutely matters. Which is why having Mowbray as manager is such a bad idea. He wanted a draw!!

He wanted a draw? :rolleyes:

Tbh Stuart I think @roversfan99 and @Paul Mani posts to you earlier are stop on 100% to you. 

You are so bitter we won yesterday, you cant bare it to credit Mowbray for his subs and for us to win. But very happy to moan and complain about Mowbray and losing. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

He wanted a draw? :rolleyes:

Tbh Stuart I think @roversfan99 and @Paul Mani posts to you earlier are stop on 100% to you. 

You are so bitter we won yesterday, you cant bare it to credit Mowbray for his subs and for us to win. But very happy to moan and complain about Mowbray and losing. 

Ah, I’ve missed this. You foaming at the mouth so much that you are incoherent.

Only took one win for you to get back to doing what you do best.

Nice to see you making friends with roverfan99 though.

Mowbray out!

• Like 1

Chaddy repositioning himself after a win! Shock!

After that staggeringly bad start to the season against Charlton, people were criticised for wanting the manager out after one game!

It wasn't true of course, the first game was just a repeat of so many before it but its funny how one game we win can immediately change perceptions.

I take the longer view myself. Whatever happened on Saturday, the manager's time is up!

• Like 2

Just now, 47er said:

Chaddy repositioning himself after a win! Shock!

After that staggeringly bad start to the season against Charlton, people were criticised for wanting the manager out after one game!

It wasn't true of course, the first game was just a repeat of so many before it but its funny how one game we win can immediately change perceptions.

I take the longer view myself. Whatever happened on Saturday, the manager's time is up!

I thought the manager's time was up 8 months ago but unfortunately our views count for nothing matey. As that's the case I'll just enjoy a relatively rare home win.

• Like 2