BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Leeds (A) - Same as last year lads... kind of.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Very calm cheers, however I’d go on a Leeds forum if I wanted to read post after post about how marvellous they are for getting 30k crowds, they are the only club in one of the UK’s biggest cities.

They ain’t owt special however much the media think so.

Bar clubs in the North East I cannot think of a place that is as large and only has one team. Also Sunderland and Boro are more economically depressed than Leeds too (don't think Newcastle is.) Not that it's all affluent by any stretch but I digress. 

Add in that obligingly Leeds also has 2 other decent size towns to call on for football fans which have no club - Harrogate and Wakefield - alongside a ton of other little local towns from Otley to Castleford and you really have a huge market of potential local fans without any competition. Contrast that with Lancashire clubs and it's a very different story. 

Then on top of all that Leeds are always on Sky. I've talked about (or ranted) about how smaller clubs are struggling to attract fans because it's easier for kids to see the big 6 on TV. Leeds don't have that problem as they are on Sky so often it is untrue. Any kid, Fairweather fan could follow them on TV with relative ease - they get an exposure most clubs, including half the premiership could only dream of. 

Factor all that in and the 30k isn't that impressive whatsoever. Even Waggot could fill the ground in those sort of conditions. It's the easiest non glory hunting situation to sell in UK football and yet they're lauded as some kind of superfans. 

And don't get me started on the team. Bottlers the lot of them. 

More in hope (as I live in Leeds) then expectation a surprise and plucky point from Rovers as they snatch a draw from either the jaws of victory or defeat (am not sure which.) A score draw for teh pools imo. The tombola plays a key roll in the afternoon as we continue our quest for mediocracy. (But not consistency, never that.) 

Rovers 1- Leeds 1

• Like 5

Bookies have us at 7/1 in a 2 horse race. To be fair could be longer. Another interestingly priced game. If there’s someone who went on Saturday as a jw walk on and is going today they’ll be £87 lighter on 2 tickets. Anything more than £20 in the championship is a rip off. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Bookies have us at 7/1 in a 2 horse race. To be fair could be longer. Another interestingly priced game. If there’s someone who went on Saturday as a jw walk on and is going today they’ll be £87 lighter on 2 tickets. Anything more than £20 in the championship is a rip off. 

Just checked the odds, I can't remember the last time we were 7/1. More than double the odds of any other team in the division today. Looks like a home banker. Anyone who has forgotten how shit we are with Tony at the helm should slam £££ on a Rovers win. 

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Just checked the odds, I can't remember the last time we were 7/1. More than double the odds of any other team in the division today. Looks like a home banker. Anyone who has forgotten how shit we are with Tony at the helm should slam £££ on a Rovers win. 

Have been betting on us to lose (correctly) lately, but that's just silly odds. I get them being favourites, and it may be a spanking, but on the back of a morale-boosting late win I think the bookies are taking an unnecessary level of risk on that one for a change. We are crap but I really don't think Leeds are as good as all that, just press hype from them having a lot of fans (and maybe taking more bets in their favour as a result). You'd think they were likely to beat us 3 or 4 nil from that, but they're one of the lowest-scoring home teams in the league.

18 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

That is exactly as I remember too..strange how interest just seemed to disappear with this fixture.

Same with Bolton in the mid 00's.

3 seasons on the trot there we struggled to shift 1500 tickets.

Again I think they tried to take the piss with prices a bit, but theres nothing as strange as a Rovers away following.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Have been betting on us to lose (correctly) lately, but that's just silly odds. I get them being favourites, and it may be a spanking, but on the back of a morale-boosting late win I think the bookies are taking an unnecessary level of risk on that one for a change. We are crap but I really don't think Leeds are as good as all that, just press hype from them having a lot of fans (and maybe taking more bets in their favour as a result). You'd think they were likely to beat us 3 or 4 nil from that, but they're one of the lowest-scoring home teams in the league.

Yes gambling on how crap we are has been relatively profitable. I had £100 sitting on Preston at 8/1 when they scored their first and bottled it and went for £10 instead. 

I agree 7/1 seems a bit generous but I also don't think the Wednesday result is anything to get carried away with and fully expect to lose today. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Factor all that in and the 30k isn't that impressive whatsoever. Even Waggot could fill the ground in those sort of conditions. It's the easiest non glory hunting situation to sell in UK football and yet they're lauded as some kind of superfans. 

No, no, no, no, no. You've reckoned without Waggott's pricing and Caley's netting. 7,000 empty seats no problem.

Edited by MCMC1875

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Yes gambling on how crap we are has been relatively profitable. I had £100 sitting on Preston at 8/1 when they scored their first and bottled it and went for £10 instead. 

I agree 7/1 seems a bit generous but I also don't think the Wednesday result is anything to get carried away with and fully expect to lose today. 

I put £30 on at 8/1. Just before pne scored it went up about 16/1 tried for another £20 but they scored as was doing it and all bets suspended. At 2-1 to us Preston still pretty much went to evens.

Its been bloody miserable as a rovers fan of late. But for folk who are prepared to financially back their dim view of rovers it’s been rather lucrative. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Bout time CP Company got his second ban.

On what grounds ? 

I conduct myself well and don't abuse anybody. I enjoy reading what is written on here as I have a soft spot for Rovers and have very close family who are season ticket holders. 

I'd love nothing more than us both to go up and earn a few quid although I would genuinely miss this league as it's brilliant. 

My Mums Auntie Phyllis used to live in the very end terraced house on Bolton Road as you walk towards the ground. Club store on your left and house on the right. Can't get much closer to the ground than that. 

I think our very best chance of a result today will be by pressing high up the pitch and throwing Leeds out of their stride. This was typified in last season's game at Ewood when we played exceptionally well and pressed them with intensity. Their passing game is so important to them and I don't believe that Bielsa really has a plan B.

• Like 1

Just now, Brigger68 said:

On what grounds ? 

I conduct myself well and don't abuse anybody. I enjoy reading what is written on here as I have a soft spot for Rovers and have very close family who are season ticket holders. 

I'd love nothing more than us both to go up and earn a few quid although I would genuinely miss this league as it's brilliant. 

My Mums Auntie Phyllis used to live in the very end terraced house on Bolton Road as you walk towards the ground. Club store on your left and house on the right. Can't get much closer to the ground than that. 

I don't mind your football postings - it was the hoolie stuff that bored me ?.

Hopefully you will be quiet tonight.

• Like 2

Just now, Brigger68 said:

On what grounds ? 

Leeds fan with a soft spot for Rovers. Fine.

So why did you make up some cock and bull story about being a Preston fan from Bamber Bridge then?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Just now, matt83 said:

This is possibly true but unfortunately that have a plan A which is one more than Tonebola has. 

I think if he goes all defensive and we sit off then we will lose Matt. Generally away from home we don't press and that's the real worry for me. The best three performances of last season were when we pressed but these were at home (Leeds, West Brom and Derby). Mowbray really needs to understand that we need to stop Leeds playing.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

I think if he goes all defensive and we sit off then we will lose Matt. Generally away from home we don't press and that's the real worry for me. The best three performances of last season were when we pressed but these were at home (Leeds, West Brom and Derby). Mowbray really needs to understand that we need to stop Leeds playing.

Don't hold yer breath.

5 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I put money on it too - when we were 2-0 up. Sadly, I only bet very puny amounts unless I'm absolutely certain of something (ie when Berg was announced as our manager in the LT but some bookies were still stupidly taking bets...bet a couple hundred on that, knowing only a Sven situation could screw me). So it was only about 50p haha. I bet a couple of quid on the draw at the same time. I had a very strong feeling we were going to throw the comfy lead away, as I know what we are like. It was scant consolation though.

I expect to lose too, but 7-1 is almost offensive. I've put my 50p on that, this time. If we win I can buy a single pint to celebrate ? Woop woop

• Like 1