BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Gareth Ainsworth

We need a change but he isn’t the answer. We need someone with a track record of success in the Championship. He hasn’t even finished a season in the top half of League 1, let alone the Championship. I still have nightmares about the Ince appointment. Chris Hughton’s the man for me. 

Edited by scotchrover
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

What his style of play? Formation? Coaching staff? How much has Ainsworth spent at Wycombe each season and how many signings has he made? 

The only question that matters is what shampoo & conditioner does he use on that marvelous head of hair :)

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

What his style of play? Formation? Coaching staff? How much has Ainsworth spent at Wycombe each season and how many signings has he made? 

From a mate of mine in that area: “There are a few lads on our football team who are wycombe fans and they love ainsworth obviously but there is no science to his management. They smack it long to the beast. Nothing wrong with that but if fans are expecting a young, Eddie Howe-type tracksuit manager they’ll be very disappointed”

Personally I’d take the punt on him. 

Edited by matt83

I know Gareth and saw him outside Griffin Park in the aftermath of the Venky/Cheston induced relegation. I asked him about managing Rovers and he said he wasn't even invited for an interview as they chose Coyle (who seemingly was the outstanding candidate). He was with his young son and daughter who both had Rovers shirts on. He didn't sound bitter about the snub from his boyhood ckub.

Personally I think he would come here but the absolute reality is that Mowbray is going nowhere.

Ainsworth would become our Nathan Jones, and is only being mentioned because he's a Rovers lad.

Whilst we're at it, why are we not mentioning Darren Ferguson, Joey Barton or Mark Robin's for the job? All also doing well in the third tier, but I think we already know the answer to that.

This bunch of players need an authority figure to come in, get rid of the holiday camp personality our players have, stop the week long breaks at international time etc.

I see us as a similar position now to what we were in 2000 when Souness came in, some good players who aren't meeting there potential, who need an identity and a way to play, and also a few key additions to the side. Who we get as a "modern version" of Souness though I have no idea.

There is no way our bunch of millionaires are listening or respecting what Gareth Ainsworth has to say unfortunately, in there eyes he would be a "never was".

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Ainsworth would become our Nathan Jones, and is only being mentioned because he's a Rovers lad.

Whilst we're at it, why are we not mentioning Darren Ferguson, Joey Barton or Mark Robin's for the job? All also doing well in the third tier, but I think we already know the answer to that.

This bunch of players need an authority figure to come in, get rid of the holiday camp personality our players have, stop the week long breaks at international time etc.

I see us as a similar position now to what we were in 2000 when Souness came in, some good players who aren't meeting there potential, who need an identity and a way to play, and also a few key additions to the side. Who we get as a "modern version" of Souness though I have no idea.

There is no way our bunch of millionaires are listening or respecting what Gareth Ainsworth has to say unfortunately, in there eyes he would be a "never was".

We are exactly in the position of the Kidd era. Nice guy manager, crap defending, doesn't know how to solve obvious problems or utilise the young players.

Mowbray has to go. No doubt about it in my mind and these underperforming, weak-minded players need a leader, not an uncle.

48 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Wrong I havent just suggested him cos hes a Blackburn Rovers fan but of the job he has done at Wycombe. 2 promotions, very limited budget, his team has kept 9 clean sheets this season in the league( i think). 

Barton has no promotion on his CV. 

There is no modern day Souness type as football has move on from those days now. 

I wouldnt have mind Michael O'Neill here tbh. Always impressed me with Northern Ireland, will sort defence out. 

Ive mention Damien Johnson and Nigel Pearson as possible replacement for Mowbray. 

Lee Bowyer could be option if we could get him. Believe his contract runs out in summer

I'd have taken him in a heartbeat over some of the dross under Venkys that's for sure but right now probably not.  We are in a similar position to under Bowyer although you'd like to think behind the scenes is calmer and the wage bill is a bit more sensible.  So we really need someone with a proper pedigree now whilst the platform created by Mowbray is still in place.

We need to kick on not have it pulled to bits and have yet another rebuild attempt so it's time for proven quality. That costs though and takes effort to secure so very unlikely but it's a pivotal time.

Blackburn Rovers needs a big name manager and they are usually the ones who've delivered for us in the past. You get what you pay for although i dread to think how much they are paying TM now....

Failing all that then it just needs someone with a serious pair of bollocks !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wrong I havent just suggested him cos hes a Blackburn Rovers fan but of the job he has done at Wycombe. 2 promotions, very limited budget, his team has kept 9 clean sheets this season in the league( i think). 

There is no modern day Souness type as football has move on from those days now. 

I wouldnt have mind Michael O'Neill here tbh. Always impressed me with Northern Ireland, will sort defence out. 

Ive mention Damien Johnson and Nigel Pearson as possible replacement for Mowbray. 

Lee Bowyer could be option if we could get him. Believe his contract runs out in summer

I think Hughton would come if we offered a big money contract. I say pay him with the Raya money, over 2 years, and offer him a promotion bonus with the top flight TV money, incoming from Sky. 

• Like 2

In the time they've been here Vs have tried spending big money on players presented to them a time or two and they've thrown around astronomical wages. The one thing they've never done nor even contemplated it seems is hire a pedigree manager so surely it's about time in their 'football manager' world they went down that route.

That is what this job has needed right from the very start they don't need to listen to a myriad of self interested spivs advising them just look at the history books of BRFC.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

I think Hughton would come if we offered a big money contract. I say pay him with the Raya money, over 2 years, and offer him a promotion bonus with the top flight TV money, incoming from Sky. 

Wouldn't Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke City offer much bigger wages than us and he still turned them down. He still thinks he a PL manager. His signings at Brighton in the last 12/18 signings wasn't good enough. 

I would guess we pay about 500-600k for manager wise. So I cant see them paying them more. In my opinion we can attract a good manager. I have given a number of different options over the last few days/weeks. 

I have been very vocal about the structure changes I like to see at the club and us move towards sporting director/head coach structure but all this depends on the owners and board to discuss and decide. I would feel that any overseas coach we might look employ would want this system employed at the club as this what they are used to working in and not involved in scouting or club structure matters. 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Youve said numerous times to me that my suggestion of Lee Bowyer is unrealistic.

Re Ainsworth, couldnt give a shite who he supports or what "style" of football he plays, he seems to be very good at winning football matches so thats why he should be in the reckoning IMO.

Hughton has to be the first point of call, we may aswell at least ask the question, we can speculate on the money we offer, the money we want or the jobs hes rumoured to have turned down, the managers the most important person so if it takes a bit more money we should spend it, if he turns us down move on to the next one.

11 hours ago, scotchrover said:

We need a change but he isn’t the answer. We need someone with a track record of success in the Championship. He hasn’t even finished a season in the top half of League 1, let alone the Championship. I still have nightmares about the Ince appointment. Chris Hughton’s the man for me. 

That's very unfair. He got them promotion from League 2 with nothing. He's now flying high in League 1 with the same budget.

He can clearly get blood out of a stone and has some attacking nous despite what has been said on this thread.

I agree that we need someone with more experience in this league but if Venky's were to appoint a budget manager, I'd like to give Ainsworth the opportunity rather than another also ran.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Youve said numerous times to me that my suggestion of Lee Bowyer is unrealistic.

Re Ainsworth, couldnt give a shite who he supports or what "style" of football he plays, he seems to be very good at winning football matches so thats why he should be in the reckoning IMO.

Hughton has to be the first point of call, we may aswell at least ask the question, we can speculate on the money we offer, the money we want or the jobs hes rumoured to have turned down, the managers the most important person so if it takes a bit more money we should spend it, if he turns us down move on to the next one.

I don't feel we could get Lee Bowyer realistic tbh but with his contract being up in the summer and the owner wanted out still and massive uncertainly over that. We could possible get him

Did I not mention that Ainsworth team this season have kept 9 clean sheets. 

Hughton aint coming here this season. He might well change his mind after a season of not being a manager. We don't pay big wages manager wise simple as. 

Hughton HAS turned down Stoke City job twice and Sheffield Wednesday in the summer. 

Realistic options are someone like Nigel Pearson, Alan Pardew, Damien Johnson, Nigel Adkins, Chris Coleman, Ian Holloway, Aitor Karanka, Carlos Carvalhal

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I don't feel we could get Lee Bowyer realistic tbh but with his contract being up in the summer and the owner wanted out still and massive uncertainly over that. We could possible get him

Did I not mention that Ainsworth team this season have kept 9 clean sheets. 

Hughton aint coming here this season. He might well change his mind after a season of not being a manager. We don't pay big wages manager wise simple as. 

Hughton HAS turned down Stoke City job twice and Sheffield Wednesday in the summer. 

Realistic options are someone like Nigel Pearson, Alan Pardew, Damien Johnson, Nigel Adkins, Chris Coleman, Ian Holloway, Aitor Karanka, Carlos Carvalhal

Thats a depressing list. Alan Pardew in particular I will presume is a joke. We need to have a bit of ambition, aim for the best rather than settling for no marks.

Hughton, Bowyer or Ainsworth for me.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Thats a depressing list. Alan Pardew in particular I will presume is a joke. We need to have a bit of ambition, aim for the best rather than settling for no marks.

Hughton, Bowyer or Ainsworth for me.

Pardew isn't a joke, he was in the recent poll done on here. 

I would go for Damien Johnson as head coach with a good number 2 and appoint a sporting director like Steve Walsh or Tony Henry. 

My other choices would be Nigel Pearson, Gareth Ainsworth. Wouldn't be against an overseas head coach in the right set up.