BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which ex manager would succeed

Which former manager would be best suited to getting us back to the top flight?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. With the current owners still here, which former manager would you trust to deal with them and get us back to the Premier League.

• Kenny Dalglish
    • Graeme Souness
    • Mark Hughes
    • Sam Allardyce
    • Paul Lambert
    • Gary Bowyer
    • None of the above.. we are doomed

Big Sam would have us batting at the top end absolutely no doubt his methods are hard to watch but proven. I think he'd also kiss the Venky badge if there was enough money in it. 

It would have to be a lot though but just imagine Allardyce with the transfer money Mowbray has recently spewed !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

Whilst our owners remain in control we have no chance, regardless who is the manager 

I agree in principle but Bowyer was within spitting distance of the playoffs. A manager like Warnock would've got that group of players into the top six, if not promotion.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Amo said:

I agree in principle but Bowyer was within spitting distance of the playoffs. A manager like Warnock would've got that group of players into the top six, if not promotion.

Well, we finished 2 points off the play offs in 2014, thanks to a 12 or so game unbeaten run to end the season. Even in that run we do what we always do and bottled it when we got close, 3-1 up at Sheffield Wed to draw 3-3 in the last minute, then Brighton scored a last minute equaliser to draw 3-3 at Ewood.

Then the year after, the best side we have had since relegation in my opinion, we finished 11 points off the play offs, so I have to agree that a "real manager" and not somebody learning there trade would have certainly gotten us into that top six that season.

Now though, the squad is far too unbalanced to be near the play offs, it would take two really good transfer windows from a really good manager to get this side challenging next season. There's no way Mowbray would do it, and I can't see Venkys employing anyone good enough to do it either.

We are truly screwed as long as they remain here, which they will do for a long time yet.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

Depending on what different peoples views on success may be, I think Big Sam. Success to me this year would be a top half finish given where we are now, and the following year success would be 6th. I think Sam could get that with a budget half of TM's.

6 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Well, we finished 2 points off the play offs in 2014, thanks to a 12 or so game unbeaten run to end the season. Even in that run we do what we always do and bottled it when we got close, 3-1 up at Sheffield Wed to draw 3-3 in the last minute, then Brighton scored a last minute equaliser to draw 3-3 at Ewood.

Then the year after, the best side we have had since relegation in my opinion, we finished 11 points off the play offs, so I have to agree that a "real manager" and not somebody learning there trade would have certainly gotten us into that top six that season.

Now though, the squad is far too unbalanced to be near the play offs, it would take two really good transfer windows from a really good manager to get this side challenging next season. There's no way Mowbray would do it, and I can't see Venkys employing anyone good enough to do it either.

We are truly screwed as long as they remain here, which they will do for a long time yet.

I’m don’t disagree but the current rate of annual losses to fund the club will mean In Ten years time , Venkys will be close to having £0.5billion invested in Rovers.... half a feckin billion .!!

now we have debated many times why they don’t have a proper go to try to get to the PL which would at least see them recover something if they sold it but this slow death is just impossible to comprehend. But however wealthy they are you have to think that the plug is gonna get pulled before they get to those sort of numbers .Then what ??? 
so for all those who thank Venkys for keeping paying the bills I suggest there needs to be a stop and think moment.

This can’t continue indefinitely.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, TBTF said:

now we have debated many times why they don’t have a proper go to try to get to the PL which would at least see them recover something if they sold it 

FFP regulations - we’d get hit with another transfer embargo & potentially a points deduction

Just now, Herbie6590 said:

FFP regulations - we’d get hit with another transfer embargo & potentially a points deduction

We’ve spent £14m on the last 18 months and still don’t have a balanced side.

We can’t waste money and blame FFP.

• Like 2

Dalglish & Souness - neither could be tempted out of retirement for this basketcase

Sparky - possibly. his stock has fallen since he left here.

Allardyce - only if Venky's bent over backwards and give him a sackful of money (in other words, no)

Lambert - nope. he saw the iceberg and jumped ship.

Bowyer - yup, company man.

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

We’ve spent £14m on the last 18 months and still don’t have a balanced side.

We can’t waste money and blame FFP.

I suspect “proper go” meant spending more than just the Brereton & Gallagher fees, though TBTF would have to confirm.
If it didn’t, then by definition having spent that dosh we have had a “proper go” but just made a botch of it...which is a separate problem needing a separate solution. 

I've asked this before but does signing young homegrown players under a certain age provide some sort a way of navigating around FFP ?  

Are the fees counted the same towards losses in the eyes of FFP if a young player is considered a safe asset who might increase in value rather than decrease even if a big fee is paid ?

Does seem odd we are very reluctant to actually buy any experienced players in the 23 - 28 age bracket for a good fee, maybe we aren't allowed.  Although pishing tens of thousands per week down the drain on well over 30s on short term contracts makes no financial sense whatsoever either.

Odd rules but an even odder club !

Edited by tomphil

10 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

But we are going to get there anyway . Has anybody really been hammered yet under FFP? Seems worth a shot for Venkys to have a crack rather than simply crawl to half a billion of wasted money 

4 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

I suspect “proper go” meant spending more than just the Brereton & Gallagher fees, though TBTF would have to confirm.
If it didn’t, then by definition having spent that dosh we have had a “proper go” but just made a botch of it...which is a separate problem needing a separate solution. 

There seems no logical pattern or strategy to what we are doing . The point I was trying to make ( probably poorly) was that we lose £20mill every year , waste £15m on strikers and then can’t sign any defenders / proper quality keeper . We will get to the £39mill maximum loss for ffp anyway . Why don’t they put 2 fingers up , bring a top proven manager in and give him £50m in one go and damn the consequences ? Whatever the fine it would probably we worth it overall if they got to the PL , got proper money and actually then have a PL club to sell . That way at least they’d get something decent back for the boat loads they have spent so far . The way we are going we will be stuck losing money every year and stuck with the threat of embargo so in effect we just can’t manoeuvre from the nightmare we are currently in .

• Like 1

Just now, TBTF said:

There seems no logical pattern or strategy to what we are doing . The point I was trying to make ( probably poorly) was that we lose £20mill every year , waste £15m on strikers and then can’t sign any defenders / proper quality keeper . We will get to the £39mill maximum loss for ffp anyway . Why don’t they put 2 fingers up , bring a top proven manager in and give him £50m in one go and damn the consequences ? Whatever the fine it would probably we worth it overall if they got to the PL , got proper money and actually then have a PL club to sell . That way at least they’d get something decent back for the boat loads they have spent so far . The way we are going we will be stuck losing money every year and stuck with the threat of embargo so in effect we just can’t manoeuvre from the nightmare we are currently in .

Spot on my friend!! 

Let's go shit or bust. We have nothing else to lose now. 

Bring in Hughton or Hughes, give them a blank cheque book and let's go for it!! 

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

Spot on my friend!! 

Pretty much yes mate - if we don’t we will have an empty stadium , little more than a shell of a club owned by Indian chicken farmers who have run up debts of Half a billion in ten years time ....... and probably Mowbray still here telling the LT that this weekends game against Solihull Moors is tough because they’ve got good players !!!! Feck me I’m depressing myself 

• Like 1

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

Spot on my friend!! 

Can't do that. Except Brighton did. And Wolves. And Villa. And QPR. And Leicester. And Bournemouth. 

• Like 1