BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Flamengo V River Plate

Anybody else watch this last night ? I enjoyed it, the atmosphere was fantastic. River Plate were by far the better team for 85 minute but two mistakes killed them. I thought the ref had a good game. He let a lot more go than ref's do over here. It kicked off a bit at the end but that was more to do with the two late goals than anything else.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Anybody else watch this last night ? I enjoyed it, the atmosphere was fantastic. River Plate were by far the better team for 85 minute but two mistakes killed them. I thought the ref had a good game. He let a lot more go than ref's do over here. It kicked off a bit at the end but that was more to do with the two late goals than anything else.

There were some meaty challenges in this which have now been removed from the Premiership. Two sent off in the last ten minutes. Didn't see what the goal scorer did to be sent off.

43 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

There were some meaty challenges in this which have now been removed from the Premiership. Two sent off in the last ten minutes. Didn't see what the goal scorer did to be sent off.

The sending offs were right at the end when emotions were high. I like a meaty challenge. All this " There was contact " shite coming out of the mouths of grown men when it's a challenge I could have ridden when I was 10 years old  makes me sick.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Rogerb said:

There was still time for two red cards in the final few seconds, with Exequiel Palacios sent off for kicking Henrique while he was on the ground before Flamengo's two-goal hero was sent off for sarcastic applause.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50532892

he had been booked for his celebration.

• Like 1

Just now, jodrell said:

There was still time for two red cards in the final few seconds, with Exequiel Palacios sent off for kicking Henrique while he was on the ground before Flamengo's two-goal hero was sent off for sarcastic applause.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50532892

he had been booked for his celebration.

From the commentary I think he had also been sent off for sarcastic applause the week before!

4 hours ago, Rogerb said:

From the commentary I think he had also been sent off for sarcastic applause the week before!

That's what I thought.

If you're going to get a red card at the death for kicking somebody at least do it properly, a la Andy Todd.

Edit - or Tommy Gemmell against Racing Club, that's a classic kick in the nuts.

• Like 3

However, his prolific form in front of goal doesn't mask a disciplinary problem, which has seen him pick up 10 bookings this season as well as a red card against Gremio at the weekend.

Gabriel also scored in that game, but there is clearly an issue that needs to be addressed, with Flamengo boss Jorge Jesus admitting that the player lacks emotional control.

• Like 1

On a related theme, just as Walking Soccer has found a ready market, I wondered if there’d be mileage in a Proper Footy league. 1970s rules: sliding tackles, back passes can be picked up to give everyone a breather, tying your bootlaces on the far touchline is offside, deflections play you onside, contested drop balls, tackles are ridden, dives get you a battering. Can’t fail.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

On a related theme, just as Walking Soccer has found a ready market, I wondered if there’d be mileage in a Proper Footy league. 1970s rules: sliding tackles, back passes can be picked up to give everyone a breather, tying your bootlaces on the far touchline is offside, deflections play you onside, contested drop balls, tackles are ridden, dives get you a battering. Can’t fail.

That would be a dream and  a league Fans would flock to. Old fashioned football played by men not afraid to get stuck in. If only

These are basic requirements 

refs in black baggie outfits who wave play on regardless

players who go down under a “ heavy challenge “ get straight back up retaliate but only get a warning has the ref views it within the context of the game.

kicking the winger early doors to let them know your there

A maverick every team has to have one. Not part of any team structures do what they want but are exciting and people pay to watch them. Names that spring to mind. Tony currie, Rodney Marsh,George best,Stan Bowles,frank worthington.

To understand the requirements of this game every team and ref has to watch the 1970 fa cup final replay Chelsea v Leeds.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Boroblue said:

These are basic requirements 

refs in black baggie outfits who wave play on regardless

players who go down under a “ heavy challenge “ get straight back up retaliate but only get a warning has the ref views it within the context of the game.

kicking the winger early doors to let them know your there

A maverick every team has to have one. Not part of any team structures do what they want but are exciting and people pay to watch them. Names that spring to mind. Tony currie, Rodney Marsh,George best,Stan Bowles,frank worthington.

To understand the requirements of this game every team and ref has to watch the 1970 fa cup final replay Chelsea v Leeds.

Another one for the " Mavericks " team - our own Duncan McKenzie. The Bradley Dack on steroids. Figuratively speaking of course.

• Like 1