BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Our Current Squad

21 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

If a new manager came in this week and in January make 3 signings we could challenging for the top 6 this season

I would've agreed a few weeks, a month, ago. But now I just can't. I don't think that Mowbray is doing well, he makes some odd decisions, but I also don't put shoddy defending and lack of work rate down to him which I think we've seen from this side.

Maybe the scope for this side is up to 9th with the best manager in the league, down as low as 20th with the worst.

Just now, JoeH said:

I would've agreed a few weeks, a month, ago. But now I just can't. I don't think that Mowbray is doing well, he makes some odd decisions, but I also don't put shoddy defending and lack of work rate down to him which I think we've seen from this side.

Maybe the scope for this side is up to 9th with the best manager in the league, down as low as 20th with the worst.

for me, the defence needs drilling every day like a Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis would. We need to get back to basics. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Defence is easily in the bottom 5 of this division, there are worse, but not many. Midfield is in the top 6 for me. Holtby, Dack, Rothwell are as good as any in this division, but the chances of all three on the pitch consistently with TM in charge are low. Attack is mid table.

Add good, bad and average together and you've got a side that'll finish 15th again.

No improvement on last year, new keeper but makes the same errors as the last one, basically the same player. New striker than can't play football and doesn't get game time up front anyway. Basically a failed year.

We won't go down, but expecting anything above 15th at this stage would be fantastical.

Whilst as "good as any in this division" might be a push for them 3, I dont think that whilst we have some decent midfielders that it is anywhere near balanced enough to be top 6 worthy. Ideally all 3 would be playing in the same position. We dont control games and we dont create many clear cut chances.

Our set of strikers bar Graham is really poor. Agreed on defence.

This is hard to say. After all Bowyer had a top 6 quality squad imo and couldn't get us top 6. Similarly McCarthy got a weak Ipswich town punching above their weight. To me there is an element to which the squad is as good as the manager makes it. 

Whilst a good and interesting question (with a probable depressing answer) perhaps an equally important question is how much of the squad could a good manager get something out of? A lot of our players are limited but a good manager could do something with them. For example could Mulgrew play as defensive mid to get his set pieces and yet not be a liability in defence, or does Gally have the attributes to be a nusicence up front with correct coaching? A good manager can't do the wholesale changes needed but if they can get a few of our bog standard players working in the team / offering something alongside the few quality players we have, perhaps top 10 would not be unreasonable. If our players limitations were hidden for example not getting our players playing a possession game they don't suit and players were played in their best positions then that can only help our team. 

In short I think it's hard to judge given how much more complicated TM is making it with all his chopping, changing and playing players out of position. Get the basics right and regardless of the quality of lack thereof we will do better. 

L

• Like 1

Our squad? Insanely unbalanced. 

No defence after spending nothing there and even worse, no attack despite spending 15 million there (counting Dack as midfield just cos it suits).

Tons of midfielders though - except no wingers which is another odd TMism

Edited by JacknOry